Diablo® III

over iteration

(Locked)

I think that can be a game-killer.

I feel D3 is beginning to suffer from Over-iteration.

Also, battle.net Queues?
Give me a break, increase your infrastructure capacity, putting a paying customer in a Queue doesn't look good, PERIOD.

Activsion Blizzard no good.

You will become a victim of your success.
Please give 1 example of how over-iteration is going to kill the game. If you make a claim like that you can't back it up with a completely unrelated complaint about a queue.
I am also willing to wait for an example.

/sips coffee
Thanks for responding, I didn't want two make two threads, hence I had to put the queue in here as well.What I simply mean is second guessing your own decision too many times, aka OCD a little "raw" is good, too much polish is simply the Panda pack. too many executive/ marketing people give you Panda pack.

Basically, i am trying to say they are becoming too corporate and that's a killer.google suffers from that, all other huge corporations (tech corporations I mean) will suffer from this.

Too many high waged marketing people can simply kill an innovative company. This is happening to Blizzard. edit to = two
Edited by Dastaan on 11/18/2011 7:18 PM PST
Yes. Google is really suffering.
You didn't address anything about over iteration, do please explain.
Ah, so it's a cooperation move that you are complaining about, not about the game in general. Well, comparing Blizzard to the other top company (electronic) giants is by itself a compliment, I am sure they appreciate that, but they do indeed have more insight than you might feel they have. I am positive that their decision-making abilities on the cooperate level were made with all factors on the table, perhaps some factors that you or I as gamers are not privy to.

Not trying to downsize you in any way, nor am I saying that my statement is truth, but it would be safe to assume such, as they (Blizz) have succeeded thus far as a company.

I would also dare say that the company world as we know it is fairly un-predictable as of late, and a number of things could happen. By and by, look at their track record, no one has been able to make a WoW killer, fans that have been waiting religiously for a sequel to SCII got their wish, and they never lost hope, and now the same is happening with the Diablo series, with previous games leaving such a deep remembrance, that fans are STILL like ravenous zombies waiting to bite into that fresh scrumptious college cheerleader, waiting for the gate to be opened.

Nothing proven, just statements of opinion.

Dictated but not read,

-predat

ps: /sips coffee
They're very proud of their highly iterative process. I don't think people are asking for a description of the process. They're asking you to talk about something in Diablo you feel it's ruined. Essentially the iterative process is doing it over and over again until it feels 'right.' Where can you point to damage that this has created?
11/18/2011 07:25 PMPosted by Umaizou
Yes. Google is really suffering. <br />You didn't address anything about over iteration, do please explain.

The game is beginning to feel very wow-like.
The way classes work, and the general slow feeling it is beginning to have (specially to the starting areas)

The fast paced ARPG is becoming a WOWRPG.

Learning lessons from wow is one thing, trying to mimic that for $$ is another thing. I feel that we are transitioning from a lesson's learnt to lets just copy the $$.

Also they are getting way too cozy with WOW players with all the fancy "give-aways" which only can mean lets make it a little closer to WOW.

I may be wrong, but, I work for a design/innovation corporation with too many of the marketing suit+tie people to miss this.

This is no longer just JW realm, i sense that there are other entities pitching in on D3.
Dastaan, can you give any examples of negative effects the iterative process has had on D3?
It may be true, in fact I wouldn't doubt it one bit. That other voices are being added into this situation of profits to turn into more success. But you do have to see it from a business perspective, turning to the items that worked best in previous installments and implementing similar structures that you know would turn success (or at least 90% sure by majority vote) is not a bad idea at all. Suffice it to say, would you rather Blizzard copy other game company's successes and use it for their own?

All this being stated, I do also agree that marking these additions to the point of "just the same game again" would be over-redundant, but I am confident the line was drawn a while ago, as to how far Blizzard would put these practices into action. And with as much as we beta testers can play, I can honestly say it doesn't have too much of that WoW feeling at all, I might be inclined to ask if this is just your opinion, and a strong one at that, and not a concern about the company in general.
Community Manager
11/18/2011 07:17 PMPosted by Dastaan
can simply kill an innovative company.

No disrespect to my comrades, but what was the last Blizzard game or feature you'd call innovative?

Personally I'm not sure I can think of any except the currency based auction house and runestone system, and those are both in the game you're criticizing.

In my opinion we make awesome, polished, accessible games that are fun for a huge spectrum of people, but when I think of the word innovative our games don't jump to mind. We make iterations and polish on what are fairly well understood systems and ideas, and that process has created our games and our company.

I realize I'm jumping on one little part of your post, but you ended it with a conspiracy theory Activision|Blizzard boogie-man jab so I think I'm afforded the ability to ignore the rest of it.
I think the problem is that Blizzard has been so tight-lipped about their development process, a lot of the fans feel left out in the cold. They're always talking about cool stuff from their latest build, but we get almost no insight into the game's state, or why it is the way it is, or what alternatives they tried before picking this build.

For example, Blizzard is always going on about how hard Inferno mode will be. They even had that (slightly condescending) video at Blizzcon. But we have no reason to believe them other than because they say it's so. A 30 second video of Inferno gameplay would put all our worries to rest, but Blizzard is being unreasonably stingy with actual information.
11/18/2011 07:51 PMPosted by Bashiok
No disrespect to my comrades, but what was the last Blizzard game or feature you'd call innovative?

Um, Battle.net? Hello? McFly?
Wait.... battle.net queues?

Bashiok decided not to get me into the beta, wink wink... so I wouldn't really know what's going on with the beta at the moment, but what queues are you referring to OP? Don't tell me there are queues when trying to join a game.
Edited by Akumapro on 11/18/2011 8:10 PM PST
BOOOOOOOOOOO Bashiok go eat more butterflys. Your not helping at all.
How is this company going to be a 'victim' of anything?

Mate they just broke a record with MW3
US$776million in sales worldwide in the first THREE days.

Yes a victim indeed.

Dripping tree, your paycheck is safe =)
85 Worgen Rogue
Well losing 2million wow subs isnt helping thats what 30million a month in lost revenue?
11/18/2011 08:24 PMPosted by Hellzrogue
Well losing 2million wow subs isnt helping thats what 30million a month in lost revenue?

And suddenly they became less rich oh the madnesss.
90 Troll Mage

Personally I'm not sure I can think of any except the currency based auction house and runestone system, and those are both in the game you're criticizing.

In my opinion we make awesome, polished, accessible games that are fun for a huge spectrum of people, but when I think of the word innovative our games don't jump to mind. We make iterations and polish on what are fairly well understood systems and ideas, and that process has created our games and our company.

I realize I'm jumping on one little part of your post, but you ended it with a conspiracy theory Activision|Blizzard boogie-man jab so I think I'm afforded the ability to ignore the rest of it.

This is what I love about you Blizz. You take what works and make it work even better.

Seriously, I see people whining about the loss of innovation in all your new games. These people are in desperate need of a clue: just because the Blizzard version was the first game of its type you played does not mean it was the first game of its type.

Warcraft was a fantasy Dune 2. Diablo was a real-time roguelike. Starcraft literally began as Warcraft in space. WoW was Blizzard's Everquest, they were nearly identical at the start. Blizzard has never been very innovative and that has never kept their games from being awesome. Innovation is actually pretty damn low on the list of things that makes a game worth playing.

You know the video game industry was saved by Nintendo after the big crash in the '80s, right? A Japanese company. You know what the Japanese industry thrives on? Importing other country's products and improving them. The Nintendo was just supposed to be an arcade machine you could play at home, and that's what people wanted. They wanted the arcade experience without the trouble of driving to an arcade and dropping a ton of quarters. There was very little innovative about it. How many of you still actively play the Wii?

<span class="truncated" />No disrespect to my comrades, but what was the last Blizzard game or feature you'd call innovative?

Um, Battle.net? Hello? McFly?

Battle.net was not the first service like it, it merely implemented the service into the game's interface to make it more convenient to use.
Edited by Dreyfuss on 11/18/2011 8:36 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]