Diablo® III

Shift + Cleave = No Target?

Swing in a wide arc to deal 120% weapon damage to the targeted enemy and 90% weapon damage to any other enemies caught in the swing.

Alright... so I use Cleave with Shift to cast the ability immediately all the time.

I would like to know if this results in all targets receiving 90% damage and if all abilities like this have been overlooked by the developers. If not, I think there should be information about this in-game.
Edited by Dois on 11/16/2011 6:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Theorically, if you dont have any mobs targets and you use shift + cleave, then yes, they will all be hit for 90% damage, none will be hit for 120%.

Working as intended.
Reply Quote
Theorically, if you dont have any mobs targets and you use shift + cleave, then yes, they will all be hit for 90% damage, none will be hit for 120%.

Working as intended.

the first struck target will be hit with 120% the rest will be struck for 90 look at the damage numbers that pop up when you strike unless you haave them turned off
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Warrior
It'll probably hit the first target for 120%. Keep in mind that in Diablo 3 holding down shift as melee to avoid running all over the place when trying to click each mob in turn isn't as needed either. If you hold down left mouse when fighting a mob and another one is right next to it, when the first one dies your attacks shift to the second one without needing a second click. It makes being melee much less frustrating (or at least, I found this frustrating in D2).
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Sorry if i mis-lead you, since i cannot test it myself nor if i have heard any comfirmation of the subject, i cant answer but with my own opinion.
Reply Quote
Ok I just checked in the other forum and a blue responded saying without any targets, it won't do the 120% at all. However, that post is before the cleave damage was upgraded to deal 90% for non-targeted units.

I think it'd be better though if at least 1 unit receives the full 120% damage, perhaps the way jjordonpope suggests.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Cleave always cleaved tho...

anywho... i was right!? Haha! hilarious, it was only my opinion of how that worked.
Reply Quote
11/16/2011 07:15 AMPosted by Kayaan
It'll probably hit the first target for 120%. Keep in mind that in Diablo 3 holding down shift as melee to avoid running all over the place when trying to click each mob in turn isn't as needed either. If you hold down left mouse when fighting a mob and another one is right next to it, when the first one dies your attacks shift to the second one without needing a second click. It makes being melee much less frustrating (or at least, I found this frustrating in D2).

oh really ? is that true ?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Alright... so I use Cleave with Shift to cast the ability immediately all the time.

I would like to know if this results in all targets receiving 90% damage and if all abilities like this have been overlooked by the developers. If not, I think there should be information about this in-game.

We want as much information available in the game as possible, within reason, and a reasonable amount of information is really fairly basic to keep tooltips from becoming small novels.

Cleave is an ability we're looking at right now. We may actually make it so that there is no damage disparity between your target and collateral hits. In any case, the way it's intended to work, if you're holding shift and not targeting anything, is that the first creature you hit takes the 120%. I'm not sure if it's actually implemented that way right now, and as I said could change anyway. Our intent is not to make shift+hitting/casting anything act in a way that is less effective than if you were clicking directly on enemies, so I don't see any need to call anything out when the net result is the same (enemies die).
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Well thank you for that clear up.

Reply Quote

We want as much information available in the game as possible, within reason, and a reasonable amount of information is really fairly basic to keep tooltips from becoming small novels.

Cleave is an ability we're looking at right now. We may actually make it so that there is no damage disparity between your target and collateral hits. In any case, the way it's intended to work, if you're holding shift and not targeting anything, is that the first creature you hit takes the 120%. I'm not sure if it's actually implemented that way right now, and as I said could change anyway. Our intent is not to make shift+hitting/casting anything act in a way that is less effective than if you were clicking directly on enemies, so I don't see any need to call anything out when the net result is the same (enemies die).

Where's my beta invite, Bashiok? I thought we were bredrens?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
As an update Wyatt just changed it to be a flat 115% to all targets caught in the swing. We'll see how that works out.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh wow, up to date arent we ? Hmmm... Seems like a good compromise to me.

Clean and simple. Cleave is just that, cleave, shouldnt really have a higher dmg to one target...
Edited by Rainarya on 11/16/2011 1:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
Oh wow, up to date arent we ? Hmmm... Seems like a good compromise to me.

Clean and simple. Cleave is just that, cleave, shouldnt really have a higher dmg to one target...

Well when you cleave you could say it does more damage to the first targets and less as more target are hitted.

Look it this way:

You swing your weapon giving it X amount of power, with each obstacle (living bodies!!!) it power would be reduce because a) of the impact against each objet which cause a force opposite to the initial one b) to the friction between the weapon and the material it is cutting through (such nice terms to describ slicing monsters)

Although we could say the person (barbarian) who cleaves adds enough support with his power so these forces seem vain
Reply Quote
so once cleave is all fixed up, can we get a release date? :)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
@ DominiEra

While i agree with what you're saying logically, what will end up happening is that you're surrounded and the mob you are targetting might not be the actual "first" mob you hit.

So in a way, it'd be weird to have your cleave to more damage on this one enemi in the middle of the pack.
Having a flat damage on cleave would be the most logical thing to have.

And lets face it... the Barbarian, if he swings something, its always pure un-mitigatable damage ;) it doesnt "slow down" :p its always max power! Haha !
Reply Quote
11/16/2011 01:37 PMPosted by Bashiok
As an update Wyatt just changed it to be a flat 115% to all targets caught in the swing. We'll see how that works out.

Alright, well see. But anyway...

I agree they shouldn't become small novels, but if disambiguation can't be included in the tooltips, I think there should be in-game documentation, a wiki of sorts that has all of these details available.

Jay said it himself, that we shouldn't have to go look at a website to play the game. Well maybe I'm extrapolating since I recall he might have just been referring to how builds pretty harsh in D2 (and other games) but still, I think it'd be great if we can get all these details without having to visit resources out of the game.
Edited by Dois on 11/16/2011 3:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree they shouldn't become small novels, but if disambiguation can't be included in the tooltips, I think there should be in-game documentation, a wiki of sorts that has all of these details available. Jay said it himself, that we shouldn't have to go look at a website to play the game. Well maybe I'm extrapolating since I recall he might have just been referring to how builds pretty harsh in D2 (and other games) but still, I think it'd be great if we can get all these details without having to visit resources out of the game.

By having a flat 115% dmg on cleave, you have an accurate tooltip.

I know that they are doing exactly that, have tooltips that is explained properly when reading it.
Its not an easy task and i'm sure they are doing the best they can.
Edited by Rainarya on 11/16/2011 3:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/16/2011 01:37 PMPosted by Bashiok

I love Wyatt.

He has a lot of Int.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]