Diablo® III

Can you play w/ Followers in Multiplayer

I see both sides of this argument and there are very good points on both sides. However, I must side with having followers in multiplayer.

If I build a character in single player and I have a follower. I am going to make it so that our skills work best together. By removing followers when my friend joins in, I must change the way I play the game.

This FORCES the player to play the game in a way that they do not prefer/enjoy. Which is a bad move on the developer side. I am less encouraged to play co op to be honest; which is the opposite of what the developers wanted.

And a REALLY SIMPLE solution to this mess: A check box on the create game screen that reads, "Allow Followers"
Reply Quote
I see both sides of this argument and there are very good points on both sides. However, I must side with having followers in multiplayer.

If I build a character in single player and I have a follower. I am going to make it so that our skills work best together. By removing followers when my friend joins in, I must change the way I play the game.

This FORCES the player to play the game in a way that they do not prefer/enjoy. Which is a bad move on the developer side. I am less encouraged to play co op to be honest; which is the opposite of what the developers wanted.

And a REALLY SIMPLE solution to this mess: A check box on the create game screen that reads, "Allow Followers"

^Couldn't have said it better myself.
D2 once patched, to allow mercs to be equipped / travel to different areas, became a staple of the mechanic in D2 (yea most people used the act1 or act2 merc) and for some of the more powerful builds they were out right required. Some builds out right relied on a merc to even be feasible or even viable for play (Enchanter Sorc comes to mind). Didn't lower the difficulty either, so I'm really not understanding the concept of taking away a feature that was MUCH beloved from D2 and throwing it away.

It's outright disappointing if they do not leave this feature as active for both single and multiplayer. Given Blizzards current taunts of "you will die" in the harder levels of the game, it sounds down right stupid not to leave the system in.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
i agree with the " if you want to be hardcore - leave it at home"

let the followers come along with us...BLizz i know it sounds corny and possibly pathetic but sometimes we get attached to our fake computer friends. ( i knew a girl that actually cried when a Sim died)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I would like to keep my follower in multiplayer if my char is me, then my follower is like my pet. Leaving a pet at home is just so sad
Reply Quote
It's all about choice - which we have.

Don't like followers - don't use them.

Like followers - I will be using them.

I don't knock your playstyle, respect ours.

Reply Quote
I know this is just my opinion and it doesn't mean squat but I agree with their position on followers.

I don't really want to have to manage my follower while playing with others. I don't like feeling waited on, or even so left behind because I was trying to put gear on them.

- Though I know many of you said "If you don't like them don't play with them" but I'd feel like I'm at a disadvantage if I decided against using them. Not having them available at all wont make me feel that way. X_x
Edited by Envision#1161 on 5/14/2012 8:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
05/14/2012 08:50 AMPosted by Envision
but I'd feel like I'm at a disadvantage if I decided against using them

that's a you issue. Not everyone will feel that way.
Reply Quote
05/14/2012 10:28 AMPosted by Flamebunny
but I'd feel like I'm at a disadvantage if I decided against using them

that's a you issue. Not everyone will feel that way.

Very true, that's why I stated it was just my opinion.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Rogue
Wow seriously this is beyond stupid. Me and my friend had planned around doing HC and using our followers as some added fun, (Ie customizing their equipment and spec to work with us.) Now all that is out the window? Seriously?

They should allow us to use our followers till the group fills up.
Reply Quote
personally i'd do
1-2 players = followers allowed
3-4 players = no followers
only real downside would be going from 2 (sorta 4) players to 3 as you'd be losing 2 ai slots to gain 1 human. But really if the game handles 4 humans i don't see how 2 humans + 2 ai would be overpowered or anything.

And to all the people ranting about min-maxing i love making glass cannons but that means i'm stuck depending on a tank. Without a follower i'd never be able to play solo without changing my build. I like being able to play even when my friends are offline without it affecting my build design...
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
I agree with the people who say that followers should be in two player games. It's lame not being able to show off your beastie follower to your friends :(
Reply Quote
I find it unfortunate that followers will be unavailable in multiplayer, they offer more character and strategies than playing a lone unit, and I prefer team synergy over solo endeavors.

As for disliking it, that's purely irrelevant, the option to omit is available to you, and "if" there is any disparity than your only legitimate request can be that you want difficulty to scale according to followers as well as multiplayer, what you want should have nothing to do with our gameplay, that's the whole point of this game, being free of anyone else's expectations, I'll be damned before I take any consideration for how you want to play, both options can easily be balanced separately, as they already do for multiplayer... I think they made it very clear when they introduced the use of followers that you would be just as viable without them, so that whole topic is just ignorant.

The excess limitations they put on followers us just silly, they definitely have more function than the old mercenaries, but limiting them to 15% damage and solo play only as well is just nonsense... Eventually they will be heavily outshone anyway because their abilities and customization pales in comparison to the heros. They may be expendable and far more versatile than their predecessors, but they exist purely as an alternate way to experience the game, and they should be as effective and interesting as possible, I'd rather play at double difficulty with a full powered always available follower rather than play at near indifferent difficulty with a cosmetic story piece following me around. Even more so with multi player...

There is a tiny merit in that these unique followers may be replacated on multiple players, but that's about as relevant as teaming up in a 4 male monk multiplayer, in the end the more options and possibilities will drive more enjoyable experience, all that is necessary is to scale content appropriately based on the method we utilize so players are free to enjoy the game in the manner they like.
Edited by Bahamut#1488 on 5/15/2012 2:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have played d2 w/o followers for years, later i played d2 w/ followers for years. Both playable experience. Both styles required slightly different gear and playstyle. And this is the problem i see with current system. Adjusting to having or not having a follower is easy. I can live either way. But now we have to adjust like every second game and that could be potentially annoying. I will not draw any conclusions yet, because im only lvl20 and game is too new to make any statements.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]