Diablo® III

Since when did companies ...

Announce an upcoming game 3+ years before it even goes into Beta and longer until it hit the shelve?

I remember back in the days game just kind of comes out when it's almost ready and takes less than 1 year, if not just a few months, for it to be on the market.

Is this the trend to come? When games are announced 10 years before it is ready?
Reply Quote
The information is just more available and you're too informed.
Reply Quote
I dare say it has a lot to do with the sheer complexity of making games these days.

The trend will probably get worse I guess - at least until some incredible advance in software development occurs, aimed at reducing the development time per worker. Then you got the whole coordination of teams, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
official release date: never!
Reply Quote
Games used to have long development cycles all the time, its nothing new. I remember waiting more than a couple years for games back in the day. Blizzard just tends to be double the wait of most companies =P
Reply Quote
blizzard has done this for a while. I remember hearing about wow while I was in highschool, and I was half way through my tour overseas before I could get it
Edited by SupplyBlock on 11/23/2011 9:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would say this phenomenom of announcing the game around a decade before its actual release is definetly not the norm.

Some may argue that this trend might be the reason behond the company's giant success.

But from a passionate fan's perspective, you have to admit, the company's general refusal of keeping players informed about the developmental progress can be frustrating at times.
Reply Quote
11/23/2011 09:02 PMPosted by Bottle
Consider yourself lucky you're not a George R. R. Martin fan. (Unless you are.)

lol funny you mentioned George R.R. Martin. I'm an avid fan of the song of ice and fire series of fantasy novels, so i know what you mean about those book release interval delays ....

Robert Jordan on the otherhand was very dedicated even on his death bed, god bless his soul.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
Remember Starcraft Ghost? Starcraft 2 was actually announced even before that, then they were gonna make Starcraft Ghost which they eventually scrapped, although some aspects went into SC2.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
It's Diablo 3...your first announcement that it was coming was the minute you beat Diablo 2.

/thread
Reply Quote
Back then the games were 2D and had to respond to up/down/left/right and actions. Now, they have to run physics, 3D graphics, spend more time making more detailed models, etc.
Reply Quote
Since the time we started talking about Blizzard.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
And now days the spend a lot more time listening to whingey fan boys complaining its not the same as there previous game in the series and trying to please them while catering to a new market.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Blizzard games have been like this for a long long time, you clearly haven't been in this crowd that long, or at least not paying that much attention.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]