Diablo® III

D2 to D3 lore problem?

I like what they have done with the lore to make the Diablo world more credible/together but I'm still confused about the 20 year gap between D2 and D3. It seemed like at the Blizzcon lore panel that everyone in sanctuary has forgotten about the events in D2 even though it happened 20 years ago? Do the Nephalem decendents have memory issues? If demons came out of hell and started to kill everyone I would still remember it 20 years later? Did I miss something?

Reply Quote
Well I didn't see the lore panel, but if you read the Sin War books the Nephalem do in fact have memory issues.
Reply Quote
Consider that this is a medieval world. Lifespans are short and fantastic tales abound.
Also, it seems like most of the people who were involved directly with the events of D1 and 2 went mad or were killed (or both.)
Reply Quote
This topic was brought up earlier this year in a story recap video/lore interview* with Leonard Boyarsky. (I think.) I'll go hunt it down the source.

But off the top my head Boyarsky roughly said along the lines it dealt with the short lifespans in a world of strife and demons, and with the new generations following D2/LOD have fill and replace much their seniors. They also dismiss the "Diablo Incident" as a preposterous conspiracy.

* EDIT: Well I found it.
  • "Diablo III The Story So Far - Interview: Boyarsky" hosted by Gamespot, @ 2:52: http://www.gamespot.com/diablo-iii/videos/diablo-iii-the-story-so-far-interview-boyarsky-6326137
  • Edited by Eroldren on 12/1/2011 5:52 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    85 Night Elf Warrior
    Deckard Cain is not a simple old man, he is a very powerful ancient magi who fought the THREE alongside Jered Cain and Tal Rasha.
    He is the most proeminent of the horadrim due to his vast knowledge on the profecies.
    Now he is really old...the other heros dont necessarily died. As mentioned by blue posters, on diablo 2 there were some fate given for the heros from D1, and now there will be answers regarding the fate of the Diablo2 heros as well. Some would be dead, some would become crazy, and some could be very much alive...

Reply Quote
    so the 'warior' and 'Adria' had their heat on, and now we have 'Leah' the daughter of 'Diablo' cool
    Reply Quote
    85 Night Elf Warrior
    I saw some guy posting about how diablo always have chosen some "leoric family" body...
    Since Albretch, then Aidan, and now, if Leah is really daughter of Aidan so she as well, being a related to Leoric... Just a curious fact.
    But it can turn into an important twist on the plot though.

Reply Quote
    Get Book of Cain dude!!! There has been a steady prosperity for 20 years, but now Azmodan is bored and is going to !@#$ things up in Sanctuary along with Belial. So a meteor crashes, burying Cain who survives without breaking any bones and he's like 90 years old... Oh, and the angels are going to want to eradicate humans because we were able to kill 5 Evils in less than 20 hours of gameplay, something they couldn't even accomplish in a 10000000000000000000 years. My prediction. But no seriously, get Book of Cain, it answered so many questions except those that will be answered in D3.
    Edited by Neomobius on 12/20/2011 6:47 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    Story in video games is like story in !@#$; just gets in the way. But let's analyze the "everyone forgot" idea put forward by Blizzard's writers anyway.

Tristram: Backwater town, King went insane, assassinated, town destroyed in retaliation by royalists. That'd be the story.

Sisters of the Sightless Eye: Small, isolated, insular clan of women in an uber patriarchal world means they're not credible. Most were corrupted/died fighting said corruption anyway. How many are left at the end of D2 really?

Lut Gholeim: The town proper was never attacked. Rumors may fly among the townsfolk but most of the action took place out in the desert. The King knew about some weird stuff happening in his harems and some people saw Radament in the sewers but other than that, not much. The sky turning black was weird, sure, but doesn't mean anything. The mercenary town guards may have seen some monsters though.

Kurast: This is where the idea falls apart. This general geographic area is, according to Cain, where most people in the world of Sanctuary live. Hundreds of thousands were displaced by demons. Major cities reduced to rubble, the center of the largest religion in the world (Zakarum) is left in shambles. If in the 1500s the Vatican was destroyed and the Pope and all his cardinals were shown to be demons from hell people would take note.

Arreat: Hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of demons led by Baal himself march hundreds of miles and destroy everything in their path. Then Arreat explodinates. Maybe these tales didn't travel south much (handwave) but the barbs don't forget this.
    Edited by marshmallow on 12/31/2011 1:19 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    87 Blood Elf Priest
    12/31/2011 01:18 AMPosted by marshmallow
    Story in video games is like story in !@#$; just gets in the way.

ADD generation in action here folks. Lore has always been an extremely important part in the RPG genre even the Action RPG genre. The lore in Diablo is important.
    Reply Quote
    01/23/2012 07:16 AMPosted by Sallana
    ADD generation in action here folks. Lore has always been an extremely important part in the RPG genre even the Action RPG genre. The lore in Diablo is important

Only 20 years seperate Diablo 2 and 3...not very many generations in 20 years.
    Reply Quote
    [quote]Now when did the events of this all happened, before Diablo One? In Diablo 2 he was already an old man caged near a well in town and we had to go rescue him. How old was he in Diablo 2? And how many years did the Dark Wander (Aiden) contain the soul of Diablo for? I am just trying to get a sense of how old Deckard Cain really is and with the 20+ years added to his time line leading into the events of Diablo 3 and we STILL!?!?! find him alive makes me wonder.

Er, I thought the Dark Wanderer was the Warrior from D1...
    Reply Quote
    85 Night Elf Warrior
    Considering Diablo1:
    Aiden must have had aboout 35 years old +/- and Cain was really old yet...lets say 70 years?
    ok...

Diablo2: The Book of cain seems to describe that Aiden and Adria spent some years togheter b4 he left to East, so lets add 5 years here, so Cain should be around 75 on Diablo 2.

Diablo3: You add 20 years on the timeline here, so Cain should be around 95 Years. Considering that he is a powerful mage, and the conditions under which we can see him in the cinematics, he is almost gone by now. Probably during the game....

And this math is perfect IMO cuz these 5 years (Aiden+Adria) plus the 20 years gap seems to be exactly the age of Leah.

Reply Quote
    Deckard Cain is not a simple old man, he is a very powerful ancient magi who fought the THREE alongside Jered Cain and Tal Rasha.
    He is the most proeminent of the horadrim due to his vast knowledge on the profecies.

Deckard Cain did not witness these events..... Jered Cain is his ancestor from way back...
    And he's isn't the most proeminent of the Horadrim Order...... he's the last one. His knowledge is staggeringly vast, though.

And he's not a mage.. He just seems to know a !@#$load of stuff and trivia about the whole world. He's more probably a scholar than anything else. If he was a mage, he would never had been captured and imprisonned.

My two cents

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]