Diablo® III

"Allies" in Followers skill descriptions?

85 Undead Priest
Several of the Follower skills make specific reference to "allies", as in plural. Multiple. Not just one. What we've heard up to this point is that followers can only be used when you're alone, and the moment another player joins the game, your follower goes away. I wonder if the use of "allies" implies that this has changed, or if it's just a matter of a lot of the text on the new follower pages being rather inconsistent, particularly in terms of referring to the player or the follower.

It could be that they're just keeping pets in mind, since all of the classes have at least one pet skill, even if it's only temporary (Call of the Ancients).
Reply Quote
Odds are it's just referring to pets
Reply Quote
Allies being players in game. Everyone has a follower, and you are all allies.
Reply Quote
Allies would include pets like the zombie dogs and other NPCs that might be along for the ride during a quest.

For example, if you play through the quest where you get the templar in the bet again after you already have him as a follower, you wind up with two templars following you around for the duration of the quest.
Edited by Vermithrax on 11/17/2011 12:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/17/2011 12:21 PMPosted by Jps

11/17/2011 12:12 PMPosted by Javrius
What we've heard up to this point is that followers can only be used when you're alone, and the moment another player joins the game, your follower goes away.
Reply Quote
11/17/2011 12:41 PMPosted by dslyecix
<br /><br />
What we've heard up to this point is that followers can only be used when you're alone, and the moment another player joins the game, your follower goes away.

For real?
Reply Quote
Yea, currently in the beta the moment another person joins the game your follower runs off back to town. They are currently single player only.
Reply Quote
11/17/2011 12:45 PMPosted by Vermithrax
Yea, currently in the beta the moment another person joins the game your follower runs off back to town. They are currently single player only.<br />

Hmmm... I want to say lame, but I can't for some reason.

Oh how I wish I were a betaer.
Reply Quote
When acting in a support role, Kormac can increase party-wide health and resource regeneration

Lyndon’s skills increase your party’s damage
Edited by Raseru on 11/17/2011 12:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
Perhaps we can have more than one follower on the battlefield? I doubt...
Reply Quote
I was under the impression that your followers only disappeared once the third person joined the game. In other words, 2 players + 2 followers = 4 "players" and once a 3rd player joins, followers go bye bye.
Reply Quote
11/17/2011 01:05 PMPosted by Hax
I was under the impression that your followers only disappeared once the third person joined the game. In other words, 2 players + 2 followers = 4 "players" and once a 3rd player joins, followers go bye bye.
Nope, once any other player joins the follower runs off.

I know this for sure because my wife yelled at me for chasing off her Templar when I hopped into her game to say hi. >_>
Reply Quote
Lol both you and your wife got Beta invites? Nerf!
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
How do people not know that Followers are single-player only? Then again, I'm not sure I can pinpoint why I know. Even the followers system page only implies it, and I'm not sure all the info on it is up to date.

I think I personally prefer that followers not be in multiplayer, because they'd make the game world feel that much more crowded. There could be a whole lot going on in Diablo II with just a couple players, and all their potential pets, and that chaos was one of the reasons they reduced the maximum players in a game down to four in Diablo III. Four players, each can have a pet (or more, if they're a Witch Doctor), then a follower each on top of that?

Or, if followers just "stand in" for absent party members, to fill out the party, what do you do when a third player joins? You go from 2 players + 2 followers to 3 players, or 3 players + 1 follower? If it's the latter, whose follower is it? Would it be possible to make a determination that wouldn't lead to undesirable player behavior, or slow down the game?

Followers were not intended to be part of your character's build, they're there to complement you when you're alone. Their primary purpose is to get you used to the idea of playing with other people. They also make it so you don't have to have a solo build and a group build, because you can always be in a group, even if it's just you and your follower. From the Followers Systems page (http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/followers.xml):

They're there to make the single-player, normal difficulty experience feel more cooperative and to aid in enhancing the story. These factors lose some importance in multiplayer and in the higher difficulty settings of the game, and as such, the followers won't be as relevant there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]