Diablo® III

Open beta mid-Dec? Release January?

Blizz has two games to worry about for D3 competition. SWTOR and GW2.

If D3 open beta came out right before SWTOR dropped and it was more fun than SWTOR many people would pass on SWTOR. I think Blizz is keeping beta numbers low because they don't want to steal the WoW 4.3 thunder.

Now if Blizz waits too long to release D3 they will run into the second issue, GW2. If somehow GW2 is more fun than D3 AND has open beta weekends before D3 releases then D3 will be in a ton of trouble.

As for announcement of release date. Either this week to increase Black Friday pre-orders/marketing (unlikely) or around mid-december right after WoW 4.3 drops but before open beta/SWTOR.

Blizz does not care which game you play from them. They are using WoW + D3 to crush SWTOR (smart move). Chances are one of those games will appeal to you and keep you a Blizz customer.
Reply Quote
Swtor is by far one of the worst games, ask anyone whose tried it
D3 will crush the "competition" if you can even call it that!
Reply Quote
I agree. I have been in the SWTOR beta test for months and haven't played it for months :) But that is another discussion.
Reply Quote
I don't think any kind of Star Wars game can be as great as D3!!
Reply Quote
im getting sick and TIRED of people comparing any diablo game including diablo3 to a mmo....diablo games ARE NOT MMO!
Reply Quote
D3 is not a MMO but will create revenue similar to a MMO (although probably less). Blizz does not care if you play WoW or D3 but they do care if you stop playing Blizz games.

People like new and shiny things. SWTOR will be new and shiny. D3 will be new and shiny. If people pass on SWTOR and play D3 for just ONE month they will be more likely to never pickup SWTOR as it will no longer be new and shiny.

Personally I feel GW2 is more of a threat to Blizz than SWTOR but GW2 is still a ways off.

Reply Quote
So... you are comparing D3 to MMO because D3 create revenue. So what kind of competition are we talking about here? Whichever game makes more money is the winner? stop comparing apple to orange, and your logic makes no sense to me.
Reply Quote
SWTOR is all kinds of fail.
Reply Quote
11/19/2011 08:21 AMPosted by Tagle
So... you are comparing D3 to MMO because D3 create revenue. So what kind of competition are we talking about here? Whichever game makes more money is the winner? stop comparing apple to orange, and your logic makes no sense to me.

The main point of the post is why I believe we will have an open (or close to it) beta within the next month.

On your points:
The whole point of making games is to make money. They are very aware of SWTOR and GW2. They are offering a very generous annual pass which will take players up to MoP. MoP will release Nov/Dec 2012. The point of the annual pass is to have players play WoW 4.3 -> D3 -> MoP. Some people will get bored of WoW and maybe GW2 is amazing. The annual pass locks in those subs and gives them a fun game (D3) to pass the time until MoP.

If you want to be naive and think Blizz is just missing the holiday season by a few weeks to "polish" it then go ahead. In a vacuum missing the holiday season would be TONS of sales lost. But since they have a big 4.3 patch for WoW they would be stealing their own players from WoW and having them play D3 which has no subscription costs.

I guess you think it was just "chance" that SWTOR announced their release date right after Blizz announces D3 is pushed to 2012. I guess it is "chance" that WoW 4.3 is one of the most casual patches ever in WoW. Raid finder, giving conquest points for all BG's, etc.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
..star wars did it
Reply Quote
There will be no open beta... Blizzard said it many times.
Reply Quote
Closed Beta = invitation required
Open Beta = download available to anyone that will sign up for an account.

It might not be a true "open beta" but will have a lot more players than now. Possibly millions.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I read a thread just like this one today.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3595571807
Reply Quote
84 Worgen Death Knight
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3595672333#1
Reply Quote
11/19/2011 07:19 AMPosted by jjordanpope
Swtor is by far one of the worst games, ask anyone whose tried it <br />D3 will crush the "competition" if you can even call it that!

Ha ok then.
I have watched youtube streams only and I think it is 50 times better than wow.
Reply Quote
Blizzard doesn't have to worry about competition because everyone with interest in the genre will buy diablo 3.

Everyone.

Look at how many people bought SC2. And SC2 is more or less the exact same game as SC1 with better (slightly) graphics and a shorter single player campaign.
Edited by LoveJohnny on 11/19/2011 7:53 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]