Diablo® III

Which PC upgrade is the most bang for my $ ?

I am facing a dilemma on account of nuanced budget restraints, so I seek the advice of Elitist PC Techno-wiz Gurus: If you had to pick only one of these two upgrades for a new gaming PC on which to play Diablo 3, which would it be and why?

Option 1
Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M >>>>>>>>> Intel® Core™ i7-2600 3.40 GHz 8M

Or,

Option 2
NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 1GB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB 16X
Reply Quote
The video card, hands down.
Reply Quote
I'd also agree with the video card.
Reply Quote
If you can find a GTX 460 1GB for a reasonable price, that would be even better.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
its not even a debate... gpu needs upgrade, 2500k will play any game maxed easy
Reply Quote
From what I understand the upgrade to i7 is not worth it unless you're doing a lot of graphical multitasking or something of the sort. Upgrade your video card.
Reply Quote
Easily the video card. i5-2500k is amazing for gaming. Upgrading to i7-2600k is pretty useless if you are just looking for a gaming PC.

But as for the video card, I'd try to get at least a GTX 560 or 560 ti, but that isn't to imply that a GTX 550 ti can't run Diablo 3 well. It probably can. Not completely sure to be honest. This of course is going by the assumption of everything maxed except anti-aliasing.
Edited by Akumapro on 11/22/2011 7:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
Your CPU upgrade isn't even that big of a difference.
I'd go with the graphics card.
Edited by Saiho on 11/22/2011 7:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
Your rig will run D3 fine; don't upgrade either part. Future proof it and save for the incoming generation leap. (PCIe 3.0 is a big indication)
Reply Quote
61 Orc Rogue
i just Ordered a Nice Triple Core 3.3 GHZ AM3 socket cpu
1G Video Card
Motherboard, PC Case, HD, DVD burner and 12gb of ram for under $500

http://www.newegg.com

Reply Quote
Im not sure if the graphic card upgrade is worth it...but the cpu one is totaly worthelss.
Reply Quote
Most of the time, upgrading the GPU is going to give you more of a performance boost than the CPU. Again, 'most' of the time.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Rogue
Only real reason to upgrade a CPU is if you are experiencing a bottleneck and no offense to you but... if you are considering a 550 Ti an upgrade... you aren't bottlenecking anything.

Get an aftermarket cooler for the CPU for $30, up the voltage just a little, set it at 4.3-4.5ghz and you are fine. I run my 2600k at 4.3 just because it was super easy to get stable there... it would easily go higher because I am only sitting at 60° under full load. The 2500k can easily do 4.3ghz between 1.25 and 1.3v. The 2500k is a good CPU and there is currently no reason to get any other CPU yet.

If you can hold off on the GPU a little NVIDIA should be launching a new set really soon which will drop the prices of the current line or at least give you better options.
Edited by Alekhin on 11/22/2011 8:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
Video card.

But don't get a 550. Why the hell are you considering going from a $230 CPU to a $330 CPU but you aren't even willing to drop $200 on a GPU?

Also why the hell do you have a 2500k if you're running it at 3.3k ghz?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
11/22/2011 07:54 PMPosted by Abraham
Your rig will run D3 fine; don't upgrade either part. Future proof it and save for the incoming generation leap. (PCIe 3.0 is a big indication)

idk, the 520 is pretty uhhh... slow... its like a bit better than a gt9400 but worse than a gt9600....
Reply Quote
11/22/2011 07:28 PMPosted by Gofers
From what I understand the upgrade to i7 is not worth it unless you're doing a lot of graphical multitasking or something of the sort. Upgrade your video card.

Rendering video, compiling code, stuff like that and it's not even necessary it just saves time.
Reply Quote
You don't need to do anything. You will be fine.
Reply Quote
11/22/2011 07:54 PMPosted by Abraham

Pretty much this.

I made the mistake of buying a whole new rig with an i7 950. A month later, they came out with the 2600k which uses a different socket.

Though to be fair, the sales rep I purchased the components from warned me, and I didn't care. I just wanted a new computer :P
Reply Quote
Thanks guys.

I am not super tech savvy and I was looking at promotion that required the price of my new PC purchase to be a tad bit higher to get an extra $50 off so I was wondering what upgrade would be best to get me past the promotional price threshold.

GPU it is.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]