Diablo® III

Second Weapon Set in Diablo 3? "W" Key

First, I wanna say I've looked for it but have not found any discussion on this topic, which surprises me.

Will there be a second weapon set like in diablo 2? How you would press "W" to switch between the 2. Towards the end of course everyone used this for CTA's battle orders but in patches .09 and before it was a very nice part of the game where for example a mfer sorc would switch from their occy and lidless or stormshield to their 4x ist monarch and 2ist ali baba or 6 ist phase blade for that last blow on meph. Bring back memories? How about the amazon switching from bow to java before synergies came into play? Barbs and their warcry spears... it goes on and on.

I really hope diablo 3 has something like this, it would add a lot of versatility to the game, not only switching to buff or for the last kill but since everything's weapon damage based, it would add a lot of strategy to be able to switch between maybe a fast lower damage weapon for spamable skills and a strong slow 2-hander for that finishing move, where you are potentially giving up a shield for a stronger hit.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
Another thing to add, will the strength of buffs be based on when they were cast or will they change when you change gear like some did in Diablo II? This is Sabin by the way changed my avatar.
Reply Quote
I read a post by Bash somewhere saying they are removing the weapon swap key. The main reason being that too many people were getting confused by it.

I'm part of the casual gamer group and I agree with a lot of those ''cater to the crowd'' changes they made but... really?

If anything, they should add the key in controls but not bind anything to it so that the people who WANT to use it, can.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
They got confused by pressing W? lol. If that confuses them then they should just not use it. I just think it adds another option for strategy. I don't like the idea of cookie cutters in anything, I like critical thinking and options options options, the idea of sacrificing something in return for something else that may benefit you more at a particular time, if that makes any sense... Sure I dropped my shield but not I just pulled a big hit and am switching back to my quick speed to get away and hit hit hit oh cooldown's up back to my big hit item switch hit, switch back run hit hit hit.
Reply Quote
There was also something about how some players would switch back and forth in an unrealistic way and exploit the benefits of both weapon sets.<br /><br />I find that... disappointing. If some guy wants to exploit the game on his own, let him. He's part of a minority and I don't see why I'm losing this option because he's not using it as it was intended.<br /><br />It's like in 3rd grade when a few jerks in class wouldn't stop talking and because of it the WHOLE class has to sit in silence and write 50 times ''I will !@#$ in class''.

This isn't an MMO, the players are linked in the same way they are in WoW. I plan on playing on my own or with a few friends for the most part. I will never encounter this guy and even if he's wearing a suit of maxed out, pimpout Robomotron Sorcerer 5000 gear, go see if I care!
Edited by Syzygy on 11/24/2011 6:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
11/23/2011 08:55 AMPosted by Syzygy
I read a post by Bash somewhere saying they are removing the weapon swap key. The main reason being that too many people were getting confused by it.<br /><br />I'm part of the casual gamer group and I agree with a lot of those ''cater to the crowd'' changes they made but... really? <br /><br />If anything, they should add the key in controls but not bind anything to it so that the people who WANT to use it, can.

i really hope they didnt actually take that option out...
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Since Blizzard has removed skills being based on weapons, much of the reason to have weapon swapping is out. (I wanted weapon swapping in D1 because of my Staff of Healing, for instance)

It would be convenient to have a button to quickly swap what the left and right mouse buttons are keyed to, but since only 6 skills are active, I don't think it's that big a deal. Builds with more than 2 skills that deserve to be mouse button skills will simply play awkwardly.
Reply Quote
yeah I'd love to see a second weapon set like in diablo 2.

In diablo 2 one set has two weapons and another had a main hand and a shield for them heavy damage fights
Reply Quote
View profile
11/23/2011 08:02 AMPosted by Sabin
Towards the end of course everyone used this for CTA's battle orders but in patches .09 and before it was a very nice part of the game where for example a mfer sorc would switch from their occy and lidless or stormshield to their 4x ist monarch and 2ist ali baba or 6 ist phase blade for that last blow on meph

You want to bring back a broken system?

Switching to MF for the last blow is an abuse and also against the "point" of trading power for a higher chance at magic find.

Switching out for CTA and things like that is a moot point, because there aren't items that GRANT SKILLS in D3 - and blizzard has already said their stance on 'taking gear off and putting new gear on for casting a [certain skill] is something they want to not happen.' The specific case was summon zombie dogs.

So what does that leave with? No need for it. D2 really kind of needed it, mostly for the amazon, who could use javalins, spears and bows, and had different skills for both. A quick switch was a must for being able to go from multishot to lightning fury.

11/26/2011 06:19 PMPosted by Scooged
i really hope they didnt actually take that option out...

If you're referring to the skill swap on the second mouse button, it's currently still in the game, but unbound. You have to go into a file and bind the key in that Diablo 3 file.
Reply Quote
Weapon switching is pretty much dead in the water with the changes came with D3. Aside from MF abuse and other things, I for one see the need of switching weapons for a specific creature or encounter a design issue and I'm pretty sure that the devs are seeing it the same way Why? The same reason that they restrict the skill swapping.

Also you cannot use a ranged weapon when you are out of resources because you cannot use every weapon available in the game and the resources replenish really fast.
Reply Quote
If you're referring to the skill swap on the second mouse button, it's currently still in the game, but unbound. You have to go into a file and bind the key in that Diablo 3 file.

Would you please elaborate on this a bit for people like myself who haven't played D1 or D2 prior to D3 beta?
Reply Quote
12/04/2011 06:37 AMPosted by HeatnServe
Would you please elaborate on this a bit for people like myself who haven't played D1 or D2 prior to D3 beta?

Item-swapping in D2 referred to being able to equip a different set of weapons that you could alternate between by pressing the 'W' button. For example, you could equip a sword and a shield in one tab, then a bow and arrow in the other and just press 'W' to alternate between the two.

This is different than skill swapping.
Reply Quote
MVP
12/04/2011 09:12 AMPosted by Charoum
This is different than skill swapping.

Well, it's the same concept really. In D1/D2 you could swap weapon sets. In D3 you can swap skills.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
A few scenarios off the top of my head that would benefit from weapon swap would be: Going from a 2 handed axe to a 1 hander + shield. A demon hunter switching to a high damage but slow 2 hand crossbow for rapid fire since each shot take hatred. A monk switching from fist weapons to a 2 handed staff.

Because every skill is based on weapon damage, having two sets that allow for quick swapping between fast/slow weapons would be very useful.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
bump cmon blizzard get on this haha patch 1.1.0
Reply Quote
Yes! I really miss of the opportunity of changing weapon with 'w'!
Reply Quote
You always can keep items in your inventory and swap them out "manually".
Thats oldschool because people used to do that in D1.
The inventory is so much bigger now, so that wont be a problem.
Edited by D3BETA on 3/11/2012 3:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
LOL OMG HOW STUPID CAN BLIZZARD BE

Why don't they just make Different Configurations for people that play wow and Move with the WASD Keys and than have another configuration where the W key is swapped... DER

Now Im convinced blizzard is !@#$ing retarded
Reply Quote
Weapon swap wasn't added to d2 until the expansion came out I have a feeling It'll be the same with d3. Once enough people who are playing the game start asking for it they will get around to adding it imo. It really was a huge improvement from having to switch weapons around manually and allows for more builds like bow/java and barbs that used widowmaker bow to deal with opponents that can stay out of range.

TL:DR - It will probably be added in the d3 expansion like it was added in d2's expansion
Reply Quote
86 Orc Death Knight
There isn't really any good reason to not have set swapping. I was pretty dissapointed to find out I wont be able to swap to a tank set for my barb with a press of a key. I mean, you can swap gear regardless, why not just make it easier.

Something like a small cooldown or short cast time (like swapping dual specs in WoW) would probably help if Blizzards concern is about possible abuse of the system, whatever the hell that would be.

EDIT: And if they really said that confusion was the reason for removing it, I suggest reversing the change on those grounds alone since someone confused by such a simple concept would definitely be too stupid to install the game in the first place.
Edited by Folkmetal#1242 on 4/25/2012 5:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]