Diablo® III

Either of these good prebuilts?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=416902&CatId=4928

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Mage_D355

If you don't think so help me in the right direction, my budget is $1,250.
Reply Quote
Didn't really look into the links too much but the first one is alienware and everyone will tell you they are overpriced.

It's really not too difficult to build your own PC though. You just have to do a good bit of homework on it. It would also help alot if you have a friend who knows what they're doing but that's not necessary. I just built my first computer like 6 months ago and I had NO clue about computer hardware before. I just did like 10 hours of research on it beforehand and eveything was easy enough. There's plenty of step-by-step walkthroughs on youtube if you're interested. Easy way to save a few hundred.
Reply Quote
12/07/2011 09:10 AMPosted by kira
Easy way to save a few hundred.

Not sure I 100% agree with this. You, as an individual buyer, do not receive the bulk discounts that a major manufacturer will.
Reply Quote
Didn't really look into the links too much but the first one is alienware and everyone will tell you they are overpriced.

It's really not too difficult to build your own PC though. You just have to do a good bit of homework on it. It would also help alot if you have a friend who knows what they're doing but that's not necessary. I just built my first computer like 6 months ago and I had NO clue about computer hardware before. I just did like 10 hours of research on it beforehand and eveything was easy enough. There's plenty of step-by-step walkthroughs on youtube if you're interested. Easy way to save a few hundred.

I appreciate you response, I have looked into it but I am leaning towards a pre built
Reply Quote
And the best advice I have is to shop around. Check out Newegg, Fry's, Best Buy, Amazon, etc. Moreover, once you've narrowed it down to a particular computer, check out Google Shopping to make sure you're getting the best price. When I built my computer, I bought half my components from Newegg and the other half from Amazon. I didn't care where I got them from as long as I got the lowest price.
Reply Quote
12/07/2011 09:13 AMPosted by Gramin
Easy way to save a few hundred.

Not sure I 100% agree with this. You, as an individual buyer, do not receive the bulk discounts that a major manufacturer will.

Yea but they're not necessarily giving you the savings. Alot of the price is just because it's a name brand and labor.

I appreciate you response, I have looked into it but I am leaning towards a pre built

K. To answer your original question, the first has pretty good specs and should easily max out D3 and most other games on the market. It looks like a pretty good set-up.
Reply Quote
12/07/2011 09:24 AMPosted by kira

Yea but they're not necessarily giving you the savings. Alot of the price is just because it's a name brand and labor.

K. To answer your original question, the first has pretty good specs and should easily max out D3 and most other games on the market. It looks like a pretty good set-up.

thanks
Reply Quote
Glock, I was in the same boat as you a few month ago. Was leaning towards pre-built but decided to build my own. Had no prior experience or anything but found it very easy. Here's a website to help:

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/mainstream-gaming-pc-v301-updated-hard-drives/

This one offers help in choosing parts and links to some awesome build guides. I ended up going with an SSD which most prebuilts don't have and am so happy with it. Ridiculously quick loading of the OS and games.
Reply Quote
12/07/2011 09:24 AMPosted by kira

Yes they are. If it was cheaper to build a computer from scratch (components), then more people would. It's simply costs the consumer less to have the manufacturer build it for them.
Reply Quote
Glock, I was in the same boat as you a few month ago. Was leaning towards pre-built but decided to build my own. Had no prior experience or anything but found it very easy. Here's a website to help:

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/mainstream-gaming-pc-v301-updated-hard-drives/

This one offers help in choosing parts and links to some awesome build guides. I ended up going with an SSD which most prebuilts don't have and am so happy with it. Ridiculously quick loading of the OS and games.

What teir has the SSD?
Reply Quote
Anything Tier 4+ has the SSD. I ended up going with a 90gb SSD for games/OS and a 1TB HDD for everything else.

And everything on that site is mix+matchable which is nice
Edited by BearGrillz on 12/7/2011 9:41 AM PST
Reply Quote

Anything Tier 4+ has the SSD. I ended up going with a 90gb SSD for games/OS and a 1TB HDD for everything else.

And everything on that site is mix+matchable which is nice

Im thinking about going for the tier 5, how long did it take to actually put your rig completely together?
Reply Quote
I used the ARSTechnica guide the site links to along with some installation manuals provided and building/setting it up w Windows from start to finish took about 4 hours.
Reply Quote
Yea but they're not necessarily giving you the savings. A lot of the price is just because it's a name brand and labor.

Yes they are. If it was cheaper to build a computer from scratch (components), then more people would. It's simply costs the consumer less to have the manufacturer build it for them.

I actually did some research on this for speech class, and savings scales. Because of overhead costs like the case, psu, and peripherals that manufacturers basically get for free, the break point is around $600. That is, if you're looking to spend less than $600 you will get a better computer by going through the manufacturer. However, beyond that, your savings goes up proportional to the amount of money you want to spend. It may even out a bit again at extreme high levels (my speech wasn't directed at people who care about high end gaming machines so I didn't research that end as much), but I think at that point you're really only looking at manufacturers like alienware who tack on huge name premiums to their prices.

A lot of people don't build their own because they think you need an electrical engineering degree to put it together. They are afraid to try because motherboards look terrifying if you're not familiar with them. They don't realize that 90% of the area of the mobo is totally irrelevant as far as the builder is concerned.
Reply Quote
After looking at the alienware computer, I would advise just building your own because it really will save money. Do not listen to Gramin.. I built the exact same computer as the Alienware, but much better. I have a better video card and a 64 gb SSD in mine. I also bought a razer mouse and 24" moniter and bought all this for $1300.. If you do not want to do the work for research on finding components, hardforums.com is probably the best forum. They are IT experts that will take all the date you give them (location, $$, time you want to buy, specs, etc..) and find all the stores you need to buy the equipment.

Edit: One more thing, hardforums will ask you what you are going to do with it. You don't need an i7-2600k unless you are doing massive video editting or 3D rendering... i5-2500 is plenty.
Edited by NeOZealouS on 12/7/2011 11:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thank you, I'm really considering building my own. My friend is persistent on my buying a pre built saying ill end up frying my equipment.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 3/18/2012 4:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, I work with computers all day long so i'm sure I wouldn't !@#$ up too bad.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]