Diablo® III

Ladder - Yes or No?

I think one thing I am going to miss most of all is Ladder from Diablo 2.

Okay, sure, there were tons of problems with it. It started as a way to reset gear, offset market saturation and help discourage item buying. But it did many good things too - it gave some form of metric of your progression versus other players, offered that wonderful 'new' feeling of a new season (start from scratch versus new and improved content). It also gave Blizzard a way to introduce new items and some sort of progressive content.

Of course the D2 ladder would not work at all in D3 - no more 80-100 grind, RMTAH mucks up gearing and Inferno is meant to be tackled at max. All I know is I would like some form of progressive PvE and the very occasional way to start afresh alongside other players.

So - do you want Ladder? If so, how would you make it work in D3?

Reply Quote
1 Draenei Shaman
Ladder...yes, um.

It's a hard question. I was a big fan of it way back when. But I don't see how it could work in Diablo 3.

I do agree about keeping track of player progression compared to others, and no banners and cheevs don't count.
Reply Quote
The original Legend of Zelda even had a ladder. Why is this not in game?
Reply Quote
they only added ladder as a way to stabilize the economy because they couldn't control the duping and hacking going on.

This game is completely different, they will be adding end game content to keep people busy from having to ever remake characters
Reply Quote
HUGE yes to the ladder. I think it would be neat to have a complex formula that takes into account play time to complete difficulties, item valuation, PVP kills/deaths ratios, PVE kills/deaths, etc!

There could even be a ladder similar to that of Starcraft, where players can challenge each other to duel 1v1, players get ranked from bronze - masters, if you beat the person ahead of you, you swap with them, you can issue challenges, if the challenge is rejected you automatically win, and people looking for challenges could meet in a chat room or area so they can connect. I think that would be SWEET and not too difficult to implement.

EDIT: Note for RMAH concerns
If your competing in a ladder style play then you should have your own set of powerful items, whether you found them or bought them shouldnt make a difference because SKILLED players (found items) >>>>>> Weaker players (bought items)
Edited by Trickster on 12/7/2011 3:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
There should be a ladder system, to keep track of your epicness compared to all the newb wow players that pretend to like Diablo because it's "Cool".
Reply Quote
There could even be a ladder similar to that of Starcraft, where players can challenge each other to duel 1v1, players get ranked from bronze - masters, if you beat the person ahead of you, you swap with them, you can issue challenges, if the challenge is rejected you automatically win, and people looking for challenges could meet in a chat room or area so they can connect. I think that would be SWEET and not too difficult to implement.

I don't see anything sweet about that. After a certain period of time the highest division in that ladder would be filled with nothing but the same one or two classes with little deviation in builds. Ladders are meaningless without a well defined metric defining one's placement.

I do agree about keeping track of player progression compared to others, and no banners and cheevs don't count.

They track player progression. You can compare them to those of other players. How does this not fit your request?
Reply Quote
I made a huge post discerning this months back.

Basically it said: thousands of players came back when the ladder reset to race to the top, find the best mf items, there's just something about leveling the playing field and everyone having to start out at lvl 1 again. Pvp restarts fresh as well, making it new and exciting.

I came to the conclusion that it increased Diablo's re-playability.

Then I got a storm of comments from people calling me a troll. Then it hasn't been brought up until now.

Goodluck!
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Shaman
12/07/2011 03:44 PMPosted by Saigyouji

I don't see anything sweet about that. After a certain period of time the highest division in that ladder would be filled with nothing but the same one or two classes with little deviation in builds. Ladders are meaningless without a well defined metric defining one's placement.

They track player progression. You can compare them to those of other players. How does this not fit your request?

Because they are not a detailed, easily visible thing that allows me to tell at a glance my rough progress compared to the community at large.

And Sixkiller...the troll is strong with you today. I play WoW at a fairly high level (well did until I took a break). I am also as oldschool a Diablo player as they come.
Reply Quote
12/07/2011 03:40 PMPosted by Trickster
If your competing in a ladder style play then you should have your own set of powerful items, whether you found them or bought them shouldnt make a difference because SKILLED players (found items) >>>>>> Weaker players (bought items)

/agree
Reply Quote
How about this idea. I'm sure that it would never, ever be implemented, but still.

- Ladder seasons reset every 6 months.

- Each Ladder season introduces a new tier of stronger items, possibly tied to some new form of endgame content.

- Progression is gauged first by level progress, then by progress through Inferno (waypoints activated/bosses down) and then finally by Item Levels.

- On the Ladder, the RMTAH can only be used to sell *new* items (ie. they have never been equipped). Or, on the Ladder, you cannot buy items on the RMTAH (although you can sell them) similar to Hardcore. So people on the regular servers can *buy* Ladder items. Better yet, on the Ladder, RMTAH cannot be used at all.

- Items are 100% non tradeable (meaning no item buying). They can only be traded through the gold AH.

- Once a season concludes, the new items and content is introduced into the regular game.

- Everyone at certain rungs of the ladder receives unique titles, dyes, pets etc.

This offers the best of both worlds. Ladder cuts down the trading possibilities, but doing well on it will let you earn a lot of money by selling them on the regular servers.

Reply Quote
Man, I am on board with you guys. I liked being able to measure myself against the rest of the player base. The only thing that I can come up with would be something similar to what Starbird came up with.

Once you have a character of each class (and sex if you care about that) there is really no reason to create a new character since you can respec in town.

Having a parallel "ladder season" running along side normal players would work best, and could have specific ranking systems. These seasons would be shorter to make for a more heated race instead of months of a ladder full of 60s

The ladder in d2 was an answer to a problem with the game's design. I don't think antiquated systems should be introduced for the sake of nostalgia. Instead, endgame should be build in.
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/4/2012 3:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
Someone spends $100 on gear only to have it deleted in a year?

A ladder simply wouldn't work in D3 as it completely defeats the purpose of the RMAH and long term play for casual gamers. It would also favor the grinders of D3 since they could potentially gear up nicely again where the casual group will likely only find a single amazing item in the same time span.

Unless you're all referring to a Hardcore Ladder in which case I see no real problem with it.
Reply Quote
When you can buy gear instead of earning it through spending time in the game, and when some skill sets will be inherently more powerful or more efficient than others, what meaningful information will a ladder tell you about the people listed on it?

Since people who buy gear or exploit the most overpowered skills stand to rise the fastest on a ladder, what's to keep the top ranks from being clogged with those players? Will players who would like to be compared purely on the basis of skill and dedication even have any interest in paying attention to the ladder after a while?

Should the developers really spend time creating and maintaining such a system?
Reply Quote
20 Undead Rogue
The ladder was an ugly way to keep track of progress I much prefer achvs and banners.
Reply Quote
When you can buy gear instead of earning it through spending time in the game, and when some skill sets will be inherently more powerful or more efficient than others, what meaningful information will a ladder tell you about the people listed on it?

Since people who buy gear or exploit the most overpowered skills stand to rise the fastest on a ladder, what's to keep the top ranks from being clogged with those players? Will players who would like to be compared purely on the basis of skill and dedication even have any interest in paying attention to the ladder after a while?

Should the developers really spend time creating and maintaining such a system?

Someone spends $100 on gear only to have it deleted in a year?

A ladder simply wouldn't work in D3 as it completely defeats the purpose of the RMAH and long term play for casual gamers. It would also favor the grinders of D3 since they could potentially gear up nicely again where the casual group will likely only find a single amazing item in the same time span.

Unless you're all referring to a Hardcore Ladder in which case I see no real problem with it.

If you had read a little further, I tackled this a few posts ago.

Ladder would of course have to limit both trading and RMAH to have any kind of integrity. Gear could still be bought and sold on the regular servers and Ladder players could sell ladder items too. They just can't buy. The gold AH would be the *only* way to buy or sell gear.

As for the second comment - this is a good thing for casual gamers! It discourages buying or sellng gear for silly amounts since the gear won' be the best forever.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]