Diablo® III

Ladder - Yes or No?

1 Draenei Shaman
When you can buy gear instead of earning it through spending time in the game, and when some skill sets will be inherently more powerful or more efficient than others, what meaningful information will a ladder tell you about the people listed on it?

Since people who buy gear or exploit the most overpowered skills stand to rise the fastest on a ladder, what's to keep the top ranks from being clogged with those players? Will players who would like to be compared purely on the basis of skill and dedication even have any interest in paying attention to the ladder after a while?

Should the developers really spend time creating and maintaining such a system?

Someone spends $100 on gear only to have it deleted in a year?

A ladder simply wouldn't work in D3 as it completely defeats the purpose of the RMAH and long term play for casual gamers. It would also favor the grinders of D3 since they could potentially gear up nicely again where the casual group will likely only find a single amazing item in the same time span.

Unless you're all referring to a Hardcore Ladder in which case I see no real problem with it.

If you had read a little further, I tackled this a few posts ago.

Ladder would of course have to limit both trading and RMAH to have any kind of integrity. Gear could still be bought and sold on the regular servers and Ladder players could sell ladder items too. They just can't buy. The gold AH would be the *only* way to buy or sell gear.

As for the second comment - this is a good thing for casual gamers! It discourages buying or sellng gear for silly amounts since the gear won' be the best forever.

A slow and steady influx of new, stronger gear and new, stronger content is a frigging awesome idea.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
Ladder is something they can easily implement after the games' release via a simple content patch or an expansion.

They hear you, they recognize your need for a ladder, and I'm sure they'll at least consider it.
Edited by Pride on 12/7/2011 9:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
+1 for ladder love!
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Shaman
Ladder is something they can easily implement after the games release via a simple content patch or an expansion.

Thear hear you, they recognize your need for a ladder, and I'm sure they'll at least consider it.

I think that we need to be more vocal about our want for something like this. If we can give some ideas of how to implement it, even better.
Reply Quote
Another thought would be to let there be a few seperate 'ranking' ladders.

For example - 4 easy ones.

1) Ladder where anything goes, including RMTAH purchased items.

2) Ladder where no RMTAH purchased items count.

3) Hardcore only ladder.

4) PvP ladder.

But I am a big fan of periodic resets and content injections :)
Reply Quote
Without a ladder how will we get to higher or lower floors?
Reply Quote
Reply Quote
LOL
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 1/4/2012 3:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
How about reaching for perfection? I believe there's no such thing as a bad idea, just bad timing, so bear with me.

Each item with magical properties has random variables on it. For its item level, it can have a range of abilities. The closer to the top potential, the more it's worth. People will strive to have the top possible gear, and it could be measured.
Reply Quote
How about reaching for perfection? I believe there's no such thing as a bad idea, just bad timing, so bear with me.

Each item with magical properties has random variables on it. For its item level, it can have a range of abilities. The closer to the top potential, the more it's worth. People will strive to have the top possible gear, and it could be measured.

I see what you did there. I SEE IT.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/000/681/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
Edited by Bear on 12/8/2011 2:08 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]