Diablo® III

A Better Game Versus a Longer Game

I just posted this in another thread but felt that it could use a separate post:

"I see a lot of people talk about what certain systems mean in terms of the duration that they will play the game, which I don't think is entirely reasonable. I'd rather Blizzard make an incredible experience that I'll play and truly enjoy for a lesser amount of time than have them make a less incredible experience that I'm able to play longer.

That you were able to sink so much time into D2 because (among other more important reasons) you were forced to re-roll characters doesn't sound like much of a justification for that system. Most people don't equate "takes more time" with "better."

I feel like I can't be the only one who isn't looking to replace every facet of my life with Diablo 3, right?"

While we obviously want things which are enjoyable to last longer, I think it is important to consider whether that additional cost of time actually makes the experience better. For every story about the years and years someone spent grinding out characters and loot in D2, I'd like to counter with the experience of playing something like, say, Portal or Portal 2 - both of which are phenomenal, albeit short, experiences. Extending game time through intentionally inconvenient systems would not have made Portal better, even if it was enjoyable in D2, and I wonder at its necessity for the experience in D3.
Reply Quote
Hmm, no one feels this way?
Reply Quote
Edited for spam.
Edited by Jacka on 3/18/2012 3:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not entirely sure what you want anyone to say so allow me to ramble. everyone is different. Some people like short, epic game experiences. Some extremely long, drawn out games.

As an example, has anyone here played Dragon Warrior 7 on PS1? It's arguably the longest turn based JRPG ever made (100+ hours of main quest alone), and the game is damn amazing from start to finish if you enjoy the simplistic and straight forward nature of Dragon Warrior/Quest games.

My point is length and enjoyable aren't mutually exclusive. You can have both. I'd prefer Blizzard just do what they do, and make a damn good game regardless of length. Even if the story itself is rather short, there's 4 difficulties to play, 5 classes, a RMAH to play, PvP arenas, etc. I think there's a lot of content for a lot of different people to enjoy.

12/08/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Jacka
If the game was really so great because of the restrictions on every aspect of customization, then why did we rush through all of the content everytime?

I love how the vast majority of nostalgia based arguments about how amazing the systems in D2 were, can be destroyed with simple common sense.
Edited by Skyfire on 12/8/2011 11:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/08/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Jacka
If the game was really so great because of the restrictions on every aspect of customization, then why did we rush through all of the content everytime?

Yeah, this pretty much wins.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]