Diablo® III

Disconnecting and losing all progress

i think blizzard needs to make a system where you can save your character on your pc rather then online so when you do d/c you dont lose everything including gear etc..
Reply Quote
(stay back, and don't feed it... it may go away)
Reply Quote
12/09/2011 08:49 PMPosted by Fellia
i think blizzard needs to make a system where you can save your character on your pc rather then online so when you do d/c you dont lose everything including gear etc..

It is ironic that you lose progress... because what you speak of, saving on your pc, is regressive. Or at least in Blizzard's eyes it is, they are moving the opposite directions... everything online.

I don't think blizzard will be a gaming company for you if you don't have good internet connection... going foreward, sorry.
Reply Quote

You dont lose everything including gear by playing online when you DC. Have you ever even played Diablo II? This technology isnt exactly new.

Before you DC it automatically saves your character whenever you pick up an item or practically to any action to begin with. It does this by keeping your character in game for a few seconds even after you DC.

This method is in many ways far more reliable than saving your cahracter on your computer. Ignoring the security and hacking risks involved with carrying an offline character online. Playing offline if the game crashes, chances are the game wouldnt save your characters gear. Whereas online your character is entirely stored online, and every action that your character does is saved whether the game crashes/dc's or whatever.
Edited by ACPRO on 12/9/2011 9:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/09/2011 08:51 PMPosted by Wodie

Too late, Wodie. We are unable to resist the bright and shiny bait.
Reply Quote
12/09/2011 09:00 PMPosted by Pesty

Too late, Wodie. We are unable to resist the bright and shiny bait.

Im fully aware hes trolling. But i figured if i at least explained the system it would prevent people from thinking what hes saying is true.
Reply Quote
[quote="36962105059"]
Before you DC it automatically saves your character whenever you pick up an item or practically to any action to begin with. It does this by keeping your character in game for a few seconds even after you DC.

No, saving it after every little action would require too many r/w; What should happen is that when you ping out (read: disconnect), it saves the character object that is loaded in ram. It will probably save these characters in RAM after a certain amount of time too, say every ten minutes. That's why when the server crashed, people lost data. If it was saved after you did everything you wouldn't lost data, though the server would be extremely slow or extremely expensive.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warrior

But then how will I be able to contact a GM to conplain and then end up chatting with a new friend?
Reply Quote
How do you propose the syncing of multiple clients given local storage?
Reply Quote
I counter with 30 min rollback is only 30 min.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]