Diablo® III

Imperius Stain Glass in Tristram Cathedral

Those who have seen the recent "Diablo III: Opening Cinematic" may have notice the great stained glass window depicting the Archangel of Valor impaling demons with his mace from the first half of the cinematic.

Why would the Zakarum (Tristram) Cathedral memorialize this archangel who bears hatred toward Mankind's mongrel origins? What role could he play in the zakarumite faith? Could Imperius tread foot on Sanctuary after in destroying Humanity and now since built nefarious motives' in a attempt in manipulating humanity through the Order of Zakarum for his own war zeal against the Burning Hells, before condemning us to oblivion himself?

Anyone else have thoughts?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
hmmm nice eyes u have. i didnt noticed this.
But, now that u mentioned, i could think of this:

Actually the Cathedral, if my memory still work well, was built by the Horadrim and not by tha Zakarum. The horradrim buit it atop the soulstone of Diablo, to hide it from common ppl.
So, the horradrim always have had kindness, knowledge and participation on the archangels plans, mainly because of tyrael. So i think it would be normal if they depict those kind of images on the cathedral, with angels etc..

Excerpt from Diablowiki:

"The Tristram Cathedral is an ancient Horadrim edifice and a very familiar location in the Diablo universe. Under it, they imprisoned Diablo in his soulstone. When the Horadrim faded away, the Cathedral was left as a decrepit ruin. When the Zakarum came to be the most practiced religion, the Cathedral became a place of worship and the seat of King Leoric, who converted Khanduras to the Zakarum religion. "

And this one complements it:

"The Horadrim is a group of ancient magi dedicated to combating the three Prime Evils. This now almost extinct band of arcane heroes was originally founded by the Archangel Tyrael. Among the recognized members of this group is Tal Rasha, Jered Cain and Deckard Cain. Currently, Deckard Cain is the only remaining member of this cult, and is schooled in the most profane lore and knowledge pertaining this group. "

Edited by Brunobyof on 12/13/2011 5:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
Oh right... Now I feel bit silly for not doing some my research wee bit deeper. I've forgotten the Horadrim were the one to build the Cathedral and then the Zakurum and Leoric centuries latter moved in. Thanks!

Still, I do find it bit odd why even the Horadrim would place magnificent stain-glass window of Imperius of all those of the Angiris Council. (Aside any battle accounts told to the magi by Tyrael of his brother.) Tyrael's vote saved Humanity from the possible extermination lead by Imperius' hand, whose the prime figurehead of Heaven who essentially wants us dead. Our mongrel blood to be wiped from Creation.

Auriel, the Archangel of Hope however would defiantly be the one I could image the Horadrim embracing.

*QUICK EDIT - I just had a sudden thought: Could Imperius' holding down trashing demon(s) thought as a symbolical reference of Lord of Terror sealed beneath the earth? A possible deeper Angiris involvement in the "Hunt for the Three" aside Tyrael's part? Hmm...
Edited by Eroldren on 12/19/2011 4:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Before i reead your post i untill the end, i was already thinking to post exactly what you thought in the edition of your post lol

The Glasses in the cathedral obviously make reference to the capturing of the Thre by the horradrim, many many years before even the zakarum move into tristam.
So thats why the glasses are there, and mainly the image of Imperius , the Archangel of VALOR, in which its represented by the fact the they have had sucessfully captured the three...
Reply Quote

*QUICK EDIT - I just had a sudden thought: Could Imperius' holding down trashing demon(s) thought as a symbolical reference of Lord of Terror sealed beneath the earth? A possible deeper Angiris involvement in the "Hunt for the Three" aside Tyrael's part? Hmm...

Tyrael actively went against the wishes of the Angiris Council in helping the Horadrim capture the three.
It turns out the reason for this is because the Council either knew or suspected that the Three intended to be captured so they could manipulate the soulstones.
Reply Quote
I'm thinking wether it be the Horadrim or the Zakarum, They probably see Imperius as a figure to be appeased, as opposed to Tyrael and Auriel who is clearly on their side.
Reply Quote
12/29/2011 12:59 PMPosted by Starkiller
It turns out the reason for this is because the Council either knew or suspected that the Three intended to be captured so they could manipulate the soulstones.

Or the Council actively wanted the Three to succeed just so they could have a reason to invade Sanctuary and start the Sin War all over again.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
its not a mace hes holding LoL, its a spear.
Reply Quote

Or the Council actively wanted the Three to succeed just so they could have a reason to invade Sanctuary and start the Sin War all over again.

I don't think that's very likely, the Council chose to spare Sanctuary after all, and only Imperius voted to destroy it, if I remember correctly.

Humanity has the power to tip the scales in the favor of either the angels or demons, and so the angels cannot risk allowing humanity to be destroyed, or allowing humanity to be turned against them.
Starting another Sin War would turn humanity against them and result in the demons' victory.
Conversely, allowing the demons to enslave or corrupt humanity would end the same way.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
The Horadrim did not exactly build the Cathedral portion. They built the initial foundations, catacombs, and monastery in 1019, but it was the church of the Zakurum that converted the monastery into the huge Cathedral in 1258, and which now resides there. I suppose it is possible that the stained glass window could be part of the original Monastery.

Additionally, the Zakurum do not know of Imperius's hatred towards humanity. For the most part, most of the humans that inhabit contemporary Sanctuary are oblivious to their species origins or the true origins of the world. Religious scriptures of the Zakurum likely contain passages about the Angels, but it's doubtful that the full and true nature of them were ever properly researched and recorded by a faith as young as the Zakurum. After the Zakurum have only been around for roughly 250 years.

Most likely the reason there's a stained glass window of him is because Blizzard's art team believed it "looked cool", and that's totally fine. In game we can theorize that perhaps the window is part of the old monastery built by the Horadrim, or even more likely the Zakurum stonemasons based the artistic design of the Cathedral on the imagery in the pre-existing Monastery. Perhaps they saw the same image of Imperius in engravings in the catacombs and decided to adapt one into the design of the new stained glass windows.
Reply Quote
I think the figure in the glass is Auriel....in the same vidoe she was shown with that same weapon. It even has the name of Cord of Hope.... Which opens up a new possiblity of the meteor being Auriel. Imperius has as much reason to banish her as Tyreal. She was passionate for the defense of the humans. She could have stood up for them after the worldstone was smashed, and Imperius banished her. And as she came down, she smashed into a catherdral with a glass image of her.

It makes more sense that the Zakurum worshiped Auriel instead of Imperius, as she symbolizes love and hope.

The thing about Tyreal being the meteor is that Tyreal is already in the world.... he was right there in D2! So i think it makes sense that Auriel is the one that got banished this time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
03/08/2012 04:31 PMPosted by James
It makes more sense that the Zakurum worshiped Auriel instead of Imperius, as she symbolizes love and hope.

The Zakurum don't worship Angels. They worshipped "The Light" a guiding set of principles. Originally these concepts were set down has having been passed on to the Zakurum prophet Akarat by the Archangel Yaerius through dreams, but the Book of Cain seems to retcon this as simply a Prophet whom experienced a vision of Light, which Cain theorizes may have been a psychic experience of the prophet witnessing Uldysseans great sacrifice at the conclusion of the Sin Wars. A sacrifice which as reverberated on a psychic level across Sanctuary for centuries.

This can be a sensitive topic because the first real details on the founding of the Zakurum come from the Legacy of Blood novel that was published in 2001. It was written years before the Sin War trilogy was published. It's likely that the Sin War trilogy was the beginning of Blizzard's efforts to help shore up the thematic holes and continuity issues of the franchise and form a more cohesive foundation for the setting in preparation of Diablo 3. The Book of Cain which directly addresses information on the church of the Zakurum follows this setting more so than it does the published materials prior to it.

03/08/2012 04:31 PMPosted by James
The thing about Tyreal being the meteor is that Tyreal is already in the world.... he was right there in D2! So i think it makes sense that Auriel is the one that got banished this time.

We aren't certain that Tyrael is already in the world. We know that he was in Sanctuary during the events of D2, but we don't have any info on his whereabouts during the 20 year span of time since then. Exactly what he has been up to and where he has been doing it is unknown at this time.
Reply Quote
I remember reading somewhere, it might have been the Book of Cain, that Tyraels "body" was destroyed when he threw his sword into the Worldstone. Therefore, we don't really know what Tyrael has been doing and how angels re-manifest.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]