Diablo® III

Monks: Have They Hit the Skill Cap Sweetspot?

Guys!! Guys!! Here is the MANDATORY BUILD RIGHT HERE!!! ITS THE ONLY ONE THAT WILL WORK EVER!!! (cuz that is what mandatory means)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eZdWQg!YUX!cYbccc

Crippling Wave- Obsidian Rune- because its mandatory! (reasons have already been stated)

Blinding Flash- Indigo Rune- Because now you can keep people from attacking you for a short time in mobs. But since you are only using the one generator, this wont last quite as long as you will hit them with the crippling wave. The secondary flash restarts the time slightly so that you dont completely waste the flash with your AoE's... This makes it mandatory for survival, especially since it also can be used to let you get away temporarily while they are blind.

Dashing Strike- Gold Rune- because the ability to run into or away from combat quickly is mandatory and shouldn't cost so darn much.

Cyclone Strike- Obsidian Rune- Decent dump for damage, plus draw, plus heal. combined with transcendence and you have a very useful oh crap button. This is obviously mandatory.

Mystic Ally- Obsidian Rune- For reasons stated above, that 50% life bonus is MANDATORY for survival in higher difficulties.

Mantra of Healing- Obsidian Rune- Now, not only are you healing constantly, with a 50% life boost, but your vitality increases 30% which means even MORE health for enemies to chip away at. This is key survivability and thus is MANDATORY!

Passives

Transcendence- Because healing is mandatory, and this makes it happen more often. Not to mention you should never over heal with your 30% vitality/50% max hit point boost.

One with Everything- Make sure your gear is stacked for max 1 resistance, and this passive takes care of the rest. Mandatory.

Seize the Initiative- Because you are going to be stacking attack anyway, because damage is mandatory, thus this skill is mandatory because it keys off of this important stat and boosts survivablity through buffing your defense.

There, hows that?

Reply Quote
I think the game needs to be released asap, before we all kill eachother over theoretical min/maxing infero based scenarios, where none of us can really say A is better than B without practical testing and experience.

All I can say for sure is: my build will contain 1 mantra. Not taking one is giving up a very strong basically passive aura, and taking two is going to be a waste of a very valuble active slot (especially considering only one mantra can be active at a time). I can also comfertably say that my build will have two spirit generators. I feel that only one will mostly likely not provide enough variety for the various single target and aoe groups which will be encountered, and taking three will limit my choices of spirit spenders too much, not from a min/maxing for inferno perspective, but for a enjoying the game one.
Reply Quote
I just settled the debate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzhoGX_7uFY#t=09m40s

Reply Quote
lol
Reply Quote
01/07/2012 08:43 PMPosted by Lemz
All I can say for sure is: my build will contain 1 mantra. Not taking one is giving up a very strong basically passive aura, and taking two is going to be a waste of a very valuble active slot (especially considering only one mantra can be active at a time).

Mantra of Healing, Indigo-runed, actually has a fairly potent active effect: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#g!!Y

A two-mantra build in which one is Healing is quite possible.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
I love the whole monk class, although it has drifted out of my top 3 first to play list. I love it for it's versatility. I mean, solo, you have tons of options of ways to play. In group mode, you can actually split the whole class up into almost roles. You can create a very powerful Healing monk, one of these in a group of four, while not doing as much damage, would keep everyone at full health through practically anything if the group could coordinate well. You can make a monk that can be your meat shield, designed to take minimal damage so that your monk healer doesn't have to strain to heal you, and with the right move choices you can easily be keeping the attention of multiple mobs without the range having to worry about it. Two range get to go ALL out offensive, allowing them to do insane damage, this summoner WD with a Wizard. (DH fits just as nicely of course.) To me this is the formula for success in group play inferno. The only other class capable of healing on this scale, is the WD, and that is all only for the WD, so the Monk is the ONLY one that can pull this off, and its probably by design.
Reply Quote
01/08/2012 09:42 PMPosted by Sasukekun
I love the whole monk class, although it has drifted out of my top 3 first to play list.

...there's only 5 classes. If you love the whole monk class, how is it not in your top 3?
Reply Quote
The Earth Ally bonus is great (50% health) but the other part of that rune makes me worry that it will not be as good as I hope. Depending on how often it dies because the special attack will cause monsters to attack it for 25 seconds.

That could either be an awesome taunt or a quick way to have a lot of your life removed. If the ally cannot be depended on in a boss battle, I would get another skill or rune as I do not want my health going up and down. That said, it is still in my builds till I see how well it works.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]