Diablo® III

Prophecy for the End of Days.

Here is the 'Prophecy' from Book of Cain. (Page 6)

. . . And, at the End of Days, Wisdom shall be lost
    as Justice falls upon the world of men.
    Valor shall turn to Wrath -
    and all Hope will be swallowed by Despair.
    Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all -
    as fate lies shattered forever.

Even though we don't have the game in it's entirety. We can piece together from what they released thus far. With that segment of the Prophecy said, we can make the connection of what developers said during lore panel at Blizzcon this year. Malthael archangel of Wisdom flips out with creation of Sanctuary. Even Deckard Cains makes the connection on page 51, " As I write this, I cannot help but be reminded of the prophecy that "Wisdom shall be lost." I find it hard not to view Malthael's sudden departure as yet another sign of the End of Days. (After the worldstone destruction)

Discuss.
Edited by Gnosis on 12/19/2011 11:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
This is crearly a reference to the archangels from the Angiris Council:

Auriel: Archangel of Hope
Imperius: Archangel of Valor
Itherael: Archangel of Fate
Malthael: Archangel of death / wisdom
Tyrael: Archangel of Justice

Tyrael (justice)falls upon the world of sanctuary, as being the "meteor".

Imperius, the archangel of "valor", "shall turn to wrath": it means he gone awry and will probably still be on the angels side but will breack havoc upon the nephalem and all

Wisdom shall be lost (Malthael?)

"And all hope (Auriel) will be swallowed by despair". I dont really know what this means but its clearly a mention to Auriel and he becoming desperate, loosing hope and therefore loosing the equilibrium and order.

"Death" (Malthael), at last, shall spread its wings over all -
as fate lies shattered forever. Malthael should bring death to many in the sanctuary, demons, and humans...

Well, if u look at diablowiki, u will see that Malthael is sometimes refered to as the archangel of death as well as the archangel of wisdom. So it could be that he is lost, and bringing death to many...

You seem to be right: Since Inarius created the Nephalem along with Lilith, Malthael could not foree what the future would bring for the war against the burning hells exactly because the creation of the nephalem imposes an uncertainty about this.

Imperius was already against letting the humans alive, and now that the buning hells are advancin to the sanctuary after dominance an power upon them, so Imperius shall turn to wrath and hit everything and everyone in order to bring order to sanctuary.

The uprising of all these events and demons, Auril shall loose hope, and joins the fight in a desperate measure.

Well, i may be wrong about something but this is what i believe.

Reply Quote
Here is the closest description as to why Malthael disappears depicted in Book of Cain, He derives his insight Chalice of Wisdom. . . . . By peering into it's depths, Malthael can see the web of connectivity that binds all things as one.

The pools of Wisdom

Infinitely deep wells of emotion. Basicaly goes on to state that you don't see your own emotion but sum of all emotion that all sentient beings in the universe are experiencing at one moment. From this pool he fills his chalice.

Deckard Cain believes his visions left this archangel mad or shown him a foreboding truth.
Reply Quote
I remember reading somewhere that Malthael is not able to see the fate of the Nephalem so that could be why Wisdom shall be lost.
Reply Quote
Here's my shameless 2 cent C&P post from the "Book of Cain reveals plot (spoilers)" tread on my own interpretation of the Prophecy passage Cain given. Even now having read Book of Cain I still stand this thought.
"And in the end of days, wisdom shall be lost
As justice falls upon the world of men.
Valor shall turn to wrath
And hope will be swallowed by despair.
Death at last shall spread its wings over all
As fate lies shattered forever."
I've interpreted this prophecy rather simplistic one as it were referring to as the downfall of the Angiris Council, thus "and the Heavens shall tremble."

Wisdom (Malthael) have become a grim character following the disappearance of the Worldstone when Inarius and the renegades stole the artifact as Metzen said. The Death of Knowledge and Wisdom. "Justice (Tyrael) falls upon the world of men" as to the Meteor now a quite sound protect, though the first sign of the coming apocalypse but seems also the only potential positive light for humanity if its indeed Tyrael. Hope (Auriel), umm... maybe Acedia? Ithrael's ability of foresight in perceiving the future for either angels and demons is crippled or himself slain. Without him the Heavens are forever blind of the activities of the Burning Hells.

Basically IMO the Angiris Council are being essentially turned into future villains. Something profound will break their resolution and Heaven.

"Death at last shall spread its wings over all." Without guidance and leadership in either Heaven or Hell, both their realms and Sanctuary are vulnerable to absolute chaos.

On a quick note, if "Valor (Imperius) shall turn to wrath" it makes me wonder if Azmodan may have some unknown mysterious influence over the Archangel of Valor and setup the path of twisting him into one the Seven Deadly Sins, Wrath. A possible absent SDS position as with Acedia.

Does anyone have any in the speculation to what the (other Prophecy?) line given in The Burning Hell conclusion, page 39 may mean. I'm kinda at a lost on this one.
"Man's pleasure gives way to pain. His truths are buried in the shroud of lies. It is this time when Hell shall reign. While all of man dies."
The second sentence I'm assuming Belial attempting to conceal the secrets on Man's nephalem linage before they realize their godly potential. The rest "beats-me."
Reply Quote
Does anyone have any in the speculation to what the (other Prophecy?) line given in The Burning Hell conclusion, page 39 may mean. I'm kinda at a lost on this one.
"Man's pleasure gives way to pain. His truths are buried in the shroud of lies. It is this time when Hell shall reign. While all of man dies."

p.37
pleasure, when imbibed too freely or when prolonged for too great a time, becomes indistinguishable from pain.
Reply Quote
I doubt the meteor is Tyreal, since the metor is what caused zombies and the skeleton king to come back from the graves.
Reply Quote
01/23/2012 07:56 PMPosted by Tyrant
I doubt the meteor is Tyreal, since the metor is what caused zombies and the skeleton king to come back from the graves.

Book of Cain p.19
the walking dead or unique to Sanctuary and are not created in the Burning Hells, but can be awakened from their morbid sleep by activities of demons and angels.
Reply Quote
with the incredibly high use of metaphor in the world today you are taking this phrase very literal.

12/19/2011 09:41 PMPosted by Gnosis
Justice falls upon the world of men
Reply Quote
. . . And, at the End of Days, Wisdom shall be lost - The book of Cain Already states that Malthael goes missing after the world stone destruction
as Justice falls upon the world of men. - Obviously Tyreal here, whether it be him being the meteor or just a reference to him lashing out on man is up for debate
Valor shall turn to Wrath - Imperius ignores the treaty and lashes out upon man and forgets his place in heaven.
and all Hope will be swallowed by Despair. -Auriel, sadden by the lost of Imperious(and possibly tyreal) actions, loses hope and thus falls into despair.
Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all - Not sure on this one, could just be showing the angels(and demons) preparing to join the battle upon sanctuary after the treaty is broke.
as fate lies shattered forever. - Itherael may have loss his sanity or at least his outlook upon the world as the nephalem are now far and wide and may be blocking his visions of the world fate, making him utterly useless. Or another option is that he see's to many different possible futures and thus can not decipher and becomes shattered.
Reply Quote
I think the reference to "Death" spreading it's wings may have something to do with Trag'Oul. While it's said he is the guardian of Sanctuary, he is also associated with death in the sense that he contacted Rathma, the first Necromancer of Sanctuary.

Also traditional thoughts of dragons usually invoke wings... although the illustration in the Book of Cain depicts Trag'Oul as more of a Chinese-styled dragon.
Reply Quote
91 Human Mage
Here is the 'Prophecy' from Book of Cain. (Page 6)

. . . And, at the End of Days, Wisdom shall be lost
    as Justice falls upon the world of men.
    Valor shall turn to Wrath -
    and all Hope will be swallowed by Despair.
    Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all -
    as fate lies shattered forever.

Even though we don't have the game in it's entirety. We can piece together from what they released thus far. With that segment of the Prophecy said, we can make the connection of what developers said during lore panel at Blizzcon this year. Malthael archangel of Wisdom flips out with creation of Sanctuary. Even Deckard Cains makes the connection on page 51, " As I write this, I cannot help but be reminded of the prophecy that "Wisdom shall be lost." I find it hard not to view Malthael's sudden departure as yet another sign of the End of Days. (After the worldstone destruction)

Discuss.

I highly suspect the Prophecy is telling us of how the Angiris Council falls apart.
Wisdom has gone missing (already missing in fact)
Tyrael falls from the Heavens (the Meteor)
likely thrown out by Imperius whom has turned to wrath in his desire to wipe out humanity.
Hope (Auriel) turns to despair as the council falls apart,
and Fate will likely either be killed, or more likely his Crystal Scroll on which possible futures are written will likely be what gets "shattered".

Ultimately, I imagine the Black Soulstone will have to be used to stop Imperius from trying to wipe everyone out.
Reply Quote
91 Human Mage
I think the reference to "Death" spreading it's wings may have something to do with Trag'Oul. While it's said he is the guardian of Sanctuary, he is also associated with death in the sense that he contacted Rathma, the first Necromancer of Sanctuary.

Also traditional thoughts of dragons usually invoke wings... although the illustration in the Book of Cain depicts Trag'Oul as more of a Chinese-styled dragon.

I had not thought of Trag-Oul being the "Death" referenced in the prophecy, but now that you mention it, that does sort of make sense.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]