Diablo® III

Book of Cain reveals plot (spoilers)

As the title says, the book of cain pretty clearly gives away the major plot points of d3 via the prophecy Cain continually refers to:

"And in the end of days, wisdom shall be lost
As justice falls upon the world of men.
Valor shall turn to wrath
And hope will be swallowed by despair.
Death at last shall spread its wings over all
As fate lies shattered forever."

The prophecy tells us that Tyrael will be cast down to sanctuary (as the meteor), Imperius will become a villain (potentially corrupted by Azmodan into the litteral Wrath), and the Angiris council on the whole gets its !@# kicked (being refered to by their qualities in the prophecy rather than their names. I speculate further, beyond what the prophecy says, that the Prime Evils may intend on combining themselves into a lesser form of Tathamet the dragon, death incarnate. Maybe this is old news but I just got my copy of the book and put 2 and 2 together.
Reply Quote
I see it like this... as a translation due to the angels titles

Malthael - Archangel of Wisdom
Tyrael - Archangel of Justice
Imperius - Archangel of Valor
Itherael -Archangel of Fate
Auriel - Archangel of Hope

Diablo - Lord of Terror
Mephisto - Lord of Hatred
Baal - Lord of Destruction
Andariel, Maiden of Anguish
Azmodan, Lord of Sin and supposedly the Lord of Despair
Belial, Lord of Lies
Duriel, Lord of Pain

Now I will "translate" what this "could" mean.

"And in the end of days, wisdom(Malthael) shall be lost(killed?)
As justice(Tyrael) falls upon the world of men.
Valor(Imperius) shall turn to wrath(Mephisto or Andariel)
And hope(Auriel) will be swallowed by despair(Azmodan?)
As fate(Itherael) lies shattered forever."

Now, the thing is that supposedly Itherael(who dies?), Auriel(who dies?) and Tyrael(who is sent to earth?) all voted FOR allowing Sanctuary(Mortal Realm) to exist while Imperius(who turns to "wrath") and Malthael(killed?) voted AGAINST allowing the sanctuary to exist.

Supposedly, Izual (one of the previous 7 angels, along with Inarius who still supposedly exists) had told the 3 prime evils how to corrupt angels. It is possible that Imperius will get desperate to destroy Sanctuary as the destruction of the Worldstone (which supresses the normal humans powers) was destroyed and humans are gaining more and more power which Evil is attempting to gain control over.

In order to DESTROY sanctuary, Imperius needs the other 4 angels to agree with him. Mephisto was supposedly permanently condemned outside of Sanctuary due to his soul stone being shattered. It's possible that Mephisto may be talking to Imperius and/or manipulating Auriel(his former lover?) in order to allow himself back into the mortal realm. This may result in the corruption of Imperius... thus "turns to wrath."

With his corruption, it's possible that Malthael and Itherael will be killed while Tyrael does his usual attempt at stopping something a little bit too long after it has already happened and gets banished from heaven down into the mortal realm due to some tricks up his sleeve to keep from getting killed.

This leaves the possibility of Imperius being a corrupted angel (as Izual was) and Tyrael as our trustful angel who helps us as he may recognize (as he always did) that the physical realm(Sanctuary - Nephelem) is the key to defeating Evil. He probably has to tell us that the high heavens have been corrupted and yadda yadda yadda. So now we have to stop Evil from overtaking Sanctuary.

Now what's odd is... what are the 4 Lesser Evils doing this whole time? I guess Azmodan wants to be a Prime Evil and he needs the black soul stone to do so (whatever). So humans are going to waste their time fighting off Azmodan and his army while the heros need to finish them off and stop the 3 Prime Evils who have, based off of my speculation, corrupted the high heavens.

It's a lot to think about but I do think Diablo 3 is going to involve a "final invasion" of heaven as much of the Evils have talked about in Diablo 2 and Heaven's army had been prepared for the entire time of Diablo 2... which resulted in the near destruction of Sanctuary as the Angiris Council never helped Sanctuary at all, except for Tyrael.

It's also possible that the three Prime Evils are at a very weak state and only Azmodan and Belial have been gaining strength and Azmodan's victories over Belial have allowed him to potentially become THE prime evil of Hell as everyone else has recently been defeated.
Reply Quote
I actually brought up the Prophecy for 'End of Days' in my thread. If you continue reading you will find out Malthael didn't die but left the High Heavans.

Similar thread - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3764968842

Malthael archangel of Wisdom flips out with creation of Sanctuary. Even Deckard Cains makes the connection on page 51, " As I write this, I cannot help but be reminded of the prophecy that 'Wisdom shall be lost.' I find it hard not to view Malthael's sudden departure as yet another sign of the End of Days." (After the worldstone destruction) Malthael suddenly departed after seeing visions from his chalice.

We can come to all sorts of conclusions how the Prophecy will play out in the game. My cup of tea is that High Heavans come to another vote for fate of Sanctuary. It has been stated that they are not happy of Tyraels actions; therefore his vote will most likely not be counted.

High Heavans don't manipulate a situation for their own selfish gain. Yet, they decide whether or not to eradicate the issue. Tyrael was the deciding vote last time when High Heavans were going to eradicate humanity. Now that he fell upon the world of men, nothing is stopping Heavan from destroying humanity.

This isn't the first time Eternal Conflict was waged on Sanctuary. Heavan and Hell clashed on Sanctuary during the events of the Sin War.

As for the other archangels. . .

- Auriel archangel of Hope - Believes in the potential good in all beings. She may cast her vote in favor of Sanctuary. Unless she changes her mind after seeing how Marius was manipulated to following the Dark Wanderer and releasing Baal.

- Imperius archangel of Valor - He mentions humanity of being 'hell spawn' in the Sin War. Ever since Tyrael voted in favor of Sanctuary and then made pact with Burning Hells, he got into heated arguments with Tyrael. Whenever this happened Auriel had to calm the two down.

Ithrael archangel of Fate - Going to quote from Book of Cain to explain his decision making.

". . . If true, then it is possible for the crystals within the Library of Fate to provide visions of multiple futures.

Perhaps it is for this reason that Itherael is viewed as aloof or even indecisive, and that his predictions may sometimes seem flawed." (Page 48)
He may decide to vote for eradication of humanity based on his readings or become undeceive.

They will motion in favor of eradication of Sanctuary, even if end result is a tie.

"as fate lies shattered forever." Could mean that fate of humanity went a different path than Itherael had read into. Except he can't read fate of man since they were never to exist in the first place.

Edited by Gnosis on 12/21/2011 8:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
despair sounds like Diablo to me.

Diablo is calm, cunning, and patient, and best understood when we view all his actions as
attempts to instill terror in those around him. Consider the components of terror: a mix of fear,
shock, and utter hopelessness (aka despair).
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
This may not be relevant, and I could be wrong.

But wasn't there an archangel of death also?

Edit: actually, I believe the Archangel of death was Malthael. Where did wisdom come from?
Edited by Spinal on 12/23/2011 11:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/23/2011 11:34 AMPosted by Spinal
Edit: actually, I believe the Archangel of death was Malthael. Where did wisdom come from?

According to Book of Cain Malthael is the archangel of Wisdom.
Reply Quote

Valor (Imperious) shall turn to wrath (aka Destruction; Baal)
Hope (Auriel) will be swallowed by despair (aka Terror; Diablo)

Death spreading its wings = Tathamet the Dragon.

Only question I have is, if Diablo and Mephisto were sent to "the void" via having their soulstones destroyed, and Baal and Tyrael were went to "the void" from the explosion of the worldstone, how did any of them return to sanctuary? Was it intervention from Anu/Tathamet?
Reply Quote

Only question I have is, if Diablo and Mephisto were sent to "the void" via having their soulstones destroyed, and Baal and Tyrael were went to "the void" from the explosion of the worldstone, how did any of them return to sanctuary? Was it intervention from Anu/Tathamet?

From my interpretation of the Book of Cain, Anu and Tathamet don't exist as sentient entities any longer. Tathamet is split apart into the major evils and Anu's spine spawns angels.
Reply Quote
[quote]

Tathamet is split apart into the major evils.

My point exactly. It's possible that the 7 evils could merge together to reawaken Tathamet.
Reply Quote
I've interpreted this prophecy rather simplistic one as it were referring to as the downfall of the Angiris Council, thus "and the Heavens shall tremble."

Wisdom (Malthael) have become a grim character following the disappearance of the Worldstone when Inarius and the renegades stole the artifact as Metzen said. The Death of Knowledge and Wisdom. "Justice (Tyrael) falls upon the world of men" as to the Meteor now a quite sound protect, though the first sign of the coming apocalypse but seems also the only potential positive light for humanity if its indeed Tyrael. Hope (Auriel), umm... maybe Acedia? Ithrael's ability of foresight in perceiving the future for either angels and demons is crippled or himself slain. Without him the Heavens are forever blind of the activities of the Burning Hells.

Basically IMO the Angiris Council are being essentially turned into future villains. Something profound will break their resolution and Heaven.

"Death at last shall spread its wings over all." Without guidance and leadership in either Heaven or Hell, both their realms and Sanctuary are vulnerable to absolute chaos.

On a quick note, if "Valor (Imperius) shall turn to wrath" it makes me wonder if Azmodan may have some unknown mysterious influence over the Archangel of Valor and setup the path of twisting him into one the Seven Deadly Sins, Wrath. A possible absent SDS position as with Acedia.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

According to Book of Cain Malthael is the archangel of Wisdom.

I see.

I just remember reading in the sin war trilogy that "Death" was Malthael's domain, and War was imperius'.

So would that make him the archangel of Wisdom and the embodiment of death, or is it some sort of Retcon?
Edited by Spinal on 1/1/2012 2:23 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]