Diablo® III

Why release D3 merchandise b4 game release?

100 Orc Warrior
I mean really? Are you that confident in the quality of the game? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or anything but even the fact that I loved the 1st two in the series doesn't mean I'm going to buy any of the merchandise until I'm sure Diablo 3 is good! Why even focus on marketing other merchandise in the series without the game release?

I will say the stuff does look pretty awesome, If I do like the game I might buy at the very least the head set. But not till I have played D3. So in epic blizzard fashion gotta quote for you BLizzard: "Time is Money friend"
Reply Quote
View profile
Blizzard.

I need not say any more. But I will. It will sell. It's like that stupid McDonald's new BigMac thing or something. I don't know what it is but I saw it on a commercial somewhere. I'm sure it'll sell. Doesn't matter that I don't eat at McDonald's - there's millions of people who do - and if McDonald's introduces something new, it will sell. Even if it tastes like crap.

And what's better is that Blizzard isn't really selling/designing many of the D3 products. They are licensing the intellectual property and other places like SteelSeries and Jinx are the ones that actually producing them and selling them. Blizzard gets a cut because it's their name that's branded on it that makes the stuff sell.

Really, Blizzard doesn't release stuff that they're not confident in. That's why each team doesn't release games at the rate of 1-2 games per year as opposed to what they really do at the rate of 1 game every 4-5 years. This is because they spend time on quality. If they weren't confident they could get it down by the time of release, they would have sent the project to go join Starcraft: Ghost and Warcraft Adventures.

12/21/2011 09:44 AMPosted by Axeingar
Why even focus on marketing other merchandise in the series without the game release?

What focus? It's the CM's (Community Manager) job's to put up information on the Community website. They have to have something up there. If they don't put it up, Blizzard is wasting money by not making use of the CM resources that they have - because they put it in the CM job description (Source: a day in the life of bashiok story that was posted a while ago)

Not to mention, both of these things. Jinx and SteelSeries both released in december - when Diablo III, before it was pushed back, was supposed to release. But why make jinx and SteelSeries wait if it will sell now? It's not a huge travesty. It's better for those companies to sell now because they need to make a return profit on their investment, rather than letting it sit in a warehouse for upto 6 more months while Diablo III gets it's final polish.

To throw it right back at you: "I mean, really?" You don't understand what you're questioning here. You really have no clue.
Edited by Defenestrate on 12/21/2011 11:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
To throw it right back at you: "I mean, really?" You don't understand what you're questioning here. You really have no clue.

I know exactly what I'm questioning. Why release products marketing a game before the game comes out. What if somebody buys the head set and mouse pad and ends up hating the game? To me as a consumer ( and using a little common sense) it would be a bad investment on my part buying anything with the Diablo III logo on it before I know If I like the game or not.

Jinx and SteelSeries both released in december - when Diablo III, before it was pushed back, was supposed to release. But why make jinx and SteelSeries wait if it will sell now? It's not a huge travesty. It's better for those companies to sell now because they need to make a return profit on their investment, rather than letting it sit in a warehouse for upto 6 more months while Diablo III gets it's final polish.

This I can't argue with but I do disagree with. If the merchandise is made, it is Christmas time so now would be the best time to make a profit on it ( maybe while they can). But as I mentioned above, even with Blizzard's near perfect record on masterpiece games it seems a little early to be making a ton of merchandise with the DIII logo on it before the game is out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]