Diablo® III

BattleTag.The name Nigel is inappropriate?

I signed up for a BattleTag. I wanted to use the name Nigel so it would be easy for my friends from SC2. The name came back as not complying with the naming policy. How is this name inappropriate?
I settled for Hondo, however I'd much rather use the name Nigel.
Reply Quote
Same here; Myth or Mythiasis was a violation of the naming policy.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Priest
It likely got nailed due to '!@#'. Yup. It's just like you can't use g-r-a-p-e on the forums. It sees the part after the 'g' and declares it a bad word.

To clarify, it's the first 3 letters of the name that it's dying on.
Edited by Demetirus on 12/21/2011 9:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'm offended by Nigel.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
12/21/2011 09:26 AMPosted by Pilkington
I'm offended by Nigel.

Me too and i can't quite pinpoint what exactly it is, it just offends me.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
In a singular function piece of code?!?

Good lord.

Literally, it has ONE fuction.

Sometimes simple things slip through the cracks.
Reply Quote
I'm fairly certain the catch is the first three letters of the name.

Disappointing, for sure.
Edited by Giraffasaur on 12/21/2011 12:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm fairly certain the catch is the first three letters of the name.

Disappointing, for sure.

They can't ban a word based on 3 consecutive letters. Nobody would be able to name themselves anything if that was the case.

Reply Quote
It's a bug. The filter for BattleTag names is ridiculously oversensitive at the moment, I couldn't set my BattleTag as "Glass", I reported it to support and got a response saying:

As I'm sure you are aware, the BatteTag program is currently in Beta, and as such, can experience glitches. What you have discovered is one that has already been reported to the development team.

Also take a look at all the people complaining here: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battletagnamingpolicy

I can understand why "Glass" would be a false positive given the last 3 letters, but there are lots of other names being disallowed that it just doesn't make sense to block.
Reply Quote

Sometimes simple things slip through the cracks.

For sure, I get that, but just one question:

Isnt a battletag REQUIRED for the Diablo 3 Beta now? If so, well, then THAT is a problem now isnt it?

Sure is. Support can't do anything about it either. I asked them to manually set mine and was told:

Since it's still in Beta phase, our support capabilities are pretty limited at the moment. We do not have a way to set BattleTabs currently. We apologize sincerely for any inconvenience this has caused.

I imagine that once the game is released, the bug is fixed and BattleTag leaves beta I'll have to pay ~$15 if I want to change my name (like with WoW), since Blizzard's bug wouldn't let me take the name I wanted to begin with.
Reply Quote
12/21/2011 08:34 AMPosted by AudioCG
How is "audiocg" innappropriate? Really, how? (sorry, it "violates" the naming rules?)

Probably the "Audi" at the start since they have a lot of corporation names censored.
Reply Quote
Thanks everyone.
I get it now.
They must be using some sort of preg_match system that matches entries to a list of offending words no matter what it's followed or preceded by.
Since people can use offending words followed by words such as "master" or "killer" I understand why they are doing this.

They should, and I hope will, take a list of real names and "clean" words in the dictionary and allow them, whether or not they include offending character strings.

12/21/2011 01:11 PMPosted by Glass
I imagine that once the game is released, the bug is fixed and BattleTag leaves beta I'll have to pay ~$15 if I want to change my name (like with WoW), since Blizzard's bug wouldn't let me take the name I wanted to begin with.

I sure hope this isn't the case.
Reply Quote
12/21/2011 08:34 AMPosted by AudioCG
How is "audiocg" innappropriate? Really, how? (sorry, it "violates" the naming rules?)

I bet it's because Dio means "God" in Italian.
That's my two cents.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]