Diablo® III

Just defended my thesis...

Time to game!

I just defended my Master's Thesis titled "Quantification and Analysis of Upper-extremity Hemiparesis Using a Novel Human-computer Interface."

available online Jan 6th <--advert :)

So with school OVER, holidays coming up, 10 days off from work. I plan on hangin' with my buddy who got in the beta and playing until my eyes bleed.

What are some of the other forum-goers good news updates?
AND/OR
Plans for the holidays?

no trolls please...we need to stay positive
Thanks
-Alex
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
12/21/2011 05:56 AMPosted by Alex
I just defended my Master's Thesis titled "Quantification and Analysis of Upper-extremity Hemiparesis Using a Novel Human-computer Interface."

You made a thesis about gauging muscle weakness based on video game performance?
Reply Quote
12/21/2011 06:00 AMPosted by Halloom
You made a thesis about gauging muscle weakness based on video game performance?

More or less. I made what is known as a Fitts' Law game controlled by a custom HCI... children with Cerebral Palsy played the game and clinicians use the data to refine rehabilitation techniques.

Cool, huh?
Edited by Alex on 12/21/2011 6:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
More or less. I made what is known as a Fitts' Law game controlled by a custom HCI... children with Cerebral Palsy played the game and clinicians use the data to refine rehabilitation techniques.

Cool, huh?

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is. Most gameful of you.
Reply Quote
Can you make a game that will make bath time more fun when my dad's boyfriend Samuel joins in?
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Priest
Urgh, I remember when I had to defend my senior technical report. (essentially a lesser version of a thesis) I had done it on the status of open source at the time (approx 6 years ago now) and how it was suffering due to large corporations, which in turn was stifling our rate of advancement.

If yours was anything like mine, then I have to say grats on getting that over with. Nothing but a big ball of stress.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/21/2011 06:02 AMPosted by Alex

Cool, huh?

That's actually really cool :D what did you use for a HCI? you piqued my interest.
Reply Quote
12/21/2011 06:24 AMPosted by Drumith
That's actually really cool :D what did you use for a HCI? you piqued my interest

So it is basically a custom joystick. I used a 3-axis accel as a tilt sensor to control the cursor. Children targeted these "bubbles" with the cursor and have to pop them as fast as possible. There is a log-linear relationship between the time required to pop successive bubbles and the target parameters. (separation distance and target size)

The device itself was totally custom made as well as the Fitts' Game. However, you can find Fitts' game apps online (might even post mine somewhere).

Did C++ programming for the Analog to Digital Conversion and HID interfacing
C# for the windows application of the Fitts Game
SolidWorks for the device design and rapid prototyping for the manufacturing
Tested 12 kids with CP or similar unilateral ischemic event... One kid actually had one side of his brain REMOVED at age 1yr...crazy
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Sounds interesting :D Gratz man.
Reply Quote
ps...

blizzard, you do realize the word thera_pist is auto-filtered right?
Reply Quote
Congrats. As a MSc. student myself, I salute you and the effort it takes.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
ps...

blizzard, you do realize the word thera_pist is auto-filtered right?

You can thank Sean Connery's SNL persona for that one.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Time to game!

available online Jan 6th <--advert :)

So with school OVER, holidays coming up, 10 days off from work. I plan on hangin' with my buddy who got in the beta and playing until my eyes bleed.

What are some of the other forum-goers good news updates?
AND/OR
Plans for the holidays?

no trolls please...we need to stay positive
Thanks
-Alex
My wife just finished her 2nd semester as well, pretty good. Get to spend a couple weeks w/ all 4 of my kids, waiting now for them to get here, the older 3 that is, and the youngest baby is almost 2 is still asleep lol. Gonna be a fun 2 weeks of going to relatives, drinking beer, and eating cake and candy till i gain 50lbs that i will have to work off all of January =D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]