Diablo® III

Ring +DMG and DPS

85 Goblin Rogue
Maybe the blues can answer this question.

So I have a ring that adds 3-8 DMG and 7 PREC
So why does my DPS drop when I equip add ring that is 3-9 DMG, 4 ATK, and 6 PREC

Is that 1 point of PREC and not the 4 additional ATK THAT much more vital?

Also, I'm ok with the whole DPS measurement thing.... but I still would like to see my DMG stat somewhere in the character screen with a tooltip. Having to mnually calculate how my skills are going to do DMG by averaging my +DMG from my weapons and rings and multiplying by 1+x.xx is tedious to say the least.
Reply Quote
Depending on what stats your character already has, certain bonuses may be more beneficial to overall dps than others. Can you provide a screenshot?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Maybe the blues can answer this question.
So I have a ring that adds 3-8 DMG and 7 PREC
So why does my DPS drop when I equip add ring that is 3-9 DMG, 4 ATK, and 6 PREC

seems impossible to me
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
01/02/2012 03:18 AMPosted by Turkuaz
seems impossible to me

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73387297@N06/sets/72157628683853431/

Any information from anyone about this would be appreciated.

EDIT:

RGDiablo on YouTube with my rings showing the issue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHDjRu4odiE&feature=channel_video_title
Edited by Valotria on 1/2/2012 12:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Not bothering to look at the screenshot.

+1 maximum damage is +.5 damage per attack. Multiply that by your weapon's speed and you get the impact to your DPS that the 1 extra max damage has.

+4 attack is +4% Damage (or DPS, really). If your average weapon damage is 12.5 or more, then 4% is over .5.

So, in conclusion, your average weapon damage is 12.5 or higher, so 4% attack is better than +.5 average weapon damage
Reply Quote
01/02/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Halloom

you need to look at the info demonstrated,

a 3-8 ring with a + 7 prec ring
vs
a rare 3-8, +7prec

getting different results, as the video clearly shows. also FYI guys, please make sure when doing deductive observations remove as much variables as possible. [such as "steady aim" in this video]

no hypothesis. hidden stats, calc wrong

If there is a class that does not benefit from +damage or +attack the same way, those would help observation

please note merchant value for your rings, as well as durability. Mods and the tier of the mod add value, one is 10% more money (durability seems to have internal range as well)
Edited by D3BETA on 1/4/2012 12:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
Since your precision is so low, adding to precision seems to be the most efficient way to increase your dps. Adding +1 to 250 nets you a much smaller gain than +1 to 50, which seems to be the case here. (+1 to 250 is 0.4%, +1 to 53 is 1.9%)
Reply Quote

+4 attack is +4% Damage (or DPS, really). If your average weapon damage is 12.5 or more, then 4% is over .5.

So, in conclusion, your average weapon damage is 12.5 or higher, so 4% attack is better than +.5 average weapon damage

This is very misleading. +4 attack will only give you an additional 4% damage ONLY if you have 0 attack, which is never. If you actually looked at the screen shot, the OP has around 250 attack. In this case +4 attack will only give 4/250 which is 1.6% increased damage.

Next time actually look at the screenshot before posting
Reply Quote
01/04/2012 01:59 AMPosted by Toiletmonstr
Since your precision is so low, adding to precision seems to be the most efficient way to increase your dps

Value of crit% will depend on critical strike damage% (and proc bonuses). so far in beta precision is much less valuable on the DH since the base effect is +50% damage on critical. also +1 precision is not 1% critical %,
8 attack vs 8 precision, attack creates more effective gains (currently)

the video shows the real issue, two blue rings that presumably have the exact same mods "of wounding (3-8)" + "of the hawk +7precision"
or a rare with the same mods,

yet the rare is netting +2.29 DPS on the video, +4.75 dps on the screenshot.
hmm that is interesting.
Edited by D3BETA on 1/4/2012 9:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
This happened to me again. This time 2 seperate rare rings. One with 3-9 dmg and +11% crit and a ring with 3-11 dmg +11 crit.

The 3-9 gave more DPS. Blows my mind really.
Edited by SpaceMonkey on 1/4/2012 10:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/04/2012 09:48 AMPosted by D3BETA
Since your precision is so low, adding to precision seems to be the most efficient way to increase your dps

Value of crit% will depend on critical strike damage% (and proc bonuses). so far in beta precision is much less valuable on the DH since the base effect is +50% damage on critical. also +1 precision is not 1% critical %,

How much % gain in crit chance do you get per point in precision, at level 13?
Reply Quote
01/05/2012 04:18 AMPosted by Toiletmonstr

How much % gain in crit chance do you get per point in precision, at level 13?

(It might be old patch information, but i'm pretty sure your critical% is relative to opponents level)

:(, can't confirm any longer (dead computer) something like .15% 13 VS another lvl 13, you'd be lucky to have over 10% chance on a 13 DH in beta.

also the product of critical damage, we are use to crits being a static x2 damage, they are not. there is a "critical damage" mod you can min/max now. (I like that addition actually)

rest assured at 60, critical will be a worthwhile min/max
all in all calculating though is going to require some strong math skills, and I considered myself literate.. but certainly not sophisticated enough to work much of what I am seeing out. not easy
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
a 3-8 ring with a + 7 prec ring
vs
a rare 3-8, +7prec

According to the OP, that's not what the rings are and you are wrong.

It's basic math.

This is very misleading. +4 attack will only give you an additional 4% damage ONLY if you have 0 attack, which is never.

4% off of your weapon's base damage.

The math is accurate regardless of how much attack you otherwise have.

Learn arithmetic.
Reply Quote

and you are wrong.
It's basic math..

except for the fact that I never said anything about your math (which is utter babble** totally useless), but you tried to offer some information without even observing the data demonstrated; completely missed the results that matter.

post (#4) demonstrates identical additions from two setups that yield different results.

Learn arithmetic.

scientific method, you failed step 1

01/02/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Halloom
Multiply that by your weapon's speed and you get the impact to your DPS that the 1 extra max damage has.

**<rolls eyes>

3-20 (1.7 attack speed) Journeyman slingshots are effectively augmented by static damage sources (3-9) rings to each become 6-29, Then Attack factors this value.

Since 3-9 is such a large proportion of damage, (and we typically have attack in the hundreds) adding +damage sources create larger effective gains....
f(y) = n(x)

Us Beta players typically see a single +1n damage source create 2-3 dps (more than 4dps per +1 on the more geared players) with crit being factored.

A single +1 attack augments our 12-50 (dual wielding 1.7s with 14-20ias) create at most ~0.66 dps

Stating 4 attack is therefore 4% base weapon dps, is quite over simplified to say the least. and further more 'concluding' that a weapon base 12.5 over shadows a +1, erroneous.
Edited by D3BETA on 1/6/2012 10:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
i would like a blue post on this because i did watch that video the other day.

the guy outta 2 rings made the same stats as his one ring ( IDENTICAL )

yet his dps changed for both.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
01/05/2012 07:14 PMPosted by D3BETA
Stating 4 attack is therefore 4% base weapon dps, is quite over simplified to say the least. and further more 'concluding' that a weapon base 12.5 over shadows a +1, erroneous.

I'm not oversimplifying. The system is simple - and you didn't read my first post.

If you deal 100 damage with your attack, then +1-1 damage equals 1 attack.

If you deal 50 damage with your attack, then +0-1 damage equals 1 attack.

If you deal 12.5 damage with your attack (note: 1/4th the previous value), then +0-1 damage equals 4 attack (note: 4 times the previous value).

The +attack ring has 4 attack.

If you deal more than 12.5 damage, on average, with your attack, +4 attack is more valuable than +0-1 damage.

DPS is irrelevant for this calculation and only serves to distract.
Reply Quote
This is quite simple really. Equip only 1 weapon because switching weapons will give you the dps of the other weapon every other shot. This would also solve the problem with the person equipping the 3-9 dmg with the 3-11 dmg ring with crit%.
Reply Quote
Equip only 1 weapon .

Thats not it at all...
see post #4 Two identical setups are creating different results
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHDjRu4odiE

observe the results and offer a hypothesis with a testable prediction to re-create the DPS issue and THEN you will be helping,
until then everyone, please stop posting such non sense!

serves to distract.

that's the synopsis of most of these posts to a DPS question surrounding a reproducible bug with people offering no good questions, and absolute zero in answers
Edited by D3BETA on 1/7/2012 8:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
only difference is that one is rare, the other rings were magic

maybe rares have hidden bonuses of some sort? or the dmg calculator is wrong. it makes no sense otherwise.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
01/08/2012 10:20 AMPosted by JimDandy
only difference is that one is rare, the other rings were magic

So, I looked at the video, which details a distinctly different issue than what the OP was talking about, because the OP had two distinctly different rings and the math worked out clearly, and there's one other major difference.

And that's that the two rings are separate from the 1 rare ring. The fairly small DPS display difference can be easily accounted for by the DPS calculations being per-item, for ease of recalculation when swapping gear, and simply rounding off at any point between them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]