Diablo® III

Loot Drops Explained

85 Troll Mage
First, it's important to understand that only you can see your own drops so there is no ninja looting. Here is a scenario for how drops and MF are calculated.

One monster dies. That monster has a loot table I.E. what the base items are that it will drop. It will drop let's say 1-5 basic items from that loot table. Each person gets 1-5 random items from the table and they don't see each other's. Then your MF decides whether it's gonna be unique (for each item separately). If it's not, it's gonna roll for set, if not set, it's gonna roll for rare, if not it's gonna roll for magic, if not it's gonna stay white or grey (if they have grey in D3). The chances are higher and higher as you go down the quality, so if 5 items do drop chances are they won't all be white. This "1-5" is a hypothetical range to explain how it works, we don't yet know how many items a monster is likely to drop aside form what we can see from the beta, which is not a good representation of later acts and difficulties.

So yes each person gets a different set of drops from each monster, and their own mf affects their own drops. MF is a multiplies for the % chance that it will roll each quality of the item. I.E. if you have +200% mf, basically you have a tripple chance that it will be unique, if it's not unique u have a tripple chance it will be set, or rare, or blue, so the more MF you have the less "white" items you will see. So no MF is not capped at 100%, because even with 200% when the base chance of a unique item dropping is (hypothetically) 0.000153%, you still have a very small chance of getting a certain unique item, but nonetheless a tripple chance with 200%.

I wonder how mf works with followers though. Blizz has not yet clarified this. In D2 anything u killed counted ur mf, anything ur merc killed counted ur mf + ur merc so it was beneficial to let the merc get the last hit on a boss if he had mf.

That was a lot of.... words.... I hope it makes sense to u guys lol, it's as clear as I can explain it.

Find more explanations, strategy guides, and a friendly gaming community at Dark Revolution Gaming.

www.DarkRevolutionGaming.com

We are also holding a raffle for all members and giving away a battle.net bucks prize to one lucky member when D3 comes out.

Hope I clarified loot drops and the basic workings of MF for you guys.

-Sabin
www.DarkRevolutionGaming.com
85 Troll Mage
Another thing to add.

Having more players in the game doesn't increase your chance of getting better drops per monster. However having more players in the game that know how to play well together in theory should be able to kill much faster and each get their own loot. In theory, you're not getting a better chance per monster, but you're killing more monsters in less time, giving you more chances to find Epic Lootz. So in short, more ppl in the game just increase your exp, as far as MF the only gain is that you kill stuff faster.
85 Troll Mage
Nice explanations.

But you had to out in the advertising. Advertising some gaming community. It's pretty rare people being 100% helpful without any of their own motives. Your post was nice but the advertising within made your motives seem almost but not totally pure.

But I still took the time to post it here as well, not just on my site. I figure posting useful topics might get people to check it out and maybe get a few members out of it. Win-Win.
So I don't need to worry about people stealing drops anymore?
The excitement factor is gone when something dies because the items will always be laying around?
90 Tauren Paladin
When you say excitement factor are you talking about the 3rd party programs that pick up loot faster than players? lol
Something like 1/5 of the magic/gold find equipped on the follower adds into your total.
good explanation for MF, haven't seen anyone so far tackle this yet.

Anyway when your looting stuff, if your bag happens to be full but you didn't realize, it will auto drop the item you pick and it becomes pickable by others simply because you didn't realize you over picked and your bag was full.

Word of advise, clear bags to free up space often or you would have awkward situations when you accidentally drop items by accident and others will snatch it up ....

So anyway if what you say is true about MF, people using default no MF gear will have say e.g.

0.000005 % to land a unique

But if say you stacked a higher % mf, you could possibly get a better chance e.g.

0.005% which although still small odds, is way better than before.

As such people are going to feel a strong urge to wear MF especially if it lands you gear, and gear as we all know potentially = $ on rmah.

So every new gear you find, MF will be the huge deciding factor when choosing what to wear. This may even effect whether to wear the full set of e.g. immortal king set with little to no MF, or just wearing parts of the set, with other different MF gear.

Then again seeing how some stats on gear is randomized, would it be possible to find/roll for IK gear that had MF (from the random attribute ?). Because remember something about no 1 unique will all be the same.

PS: i'm a bit confused though. I thought blizzard said there wasn't going to be any loot tables per say like d2 ? because they didn't want you to be farming any specific monsters, in particular bosses to prevent repetition.
Edited by Moogle on 1/5/2012 8:17 AM PST
85 Troll Mage
good explanation for MF, haven't seen anyone so far tackle this yet.

Anyway when your looting stuff, if your bag happens to be full but you didn't realize, it will auto drop the item you pick and it becomes pickable by others simply because you didn't realize you over picked and your bag was full.

Word of advise, clear bags to free up space often or you would have awkward situations when you accidentally drop items by accident and others will snatch it up ....

So anyway if what you say is true about MF, people using default no MF gear will have say e.g.

0.000005 % to land a unique

But if say you stacked a higher % mf, you could possibly get a better chance e.g.

0.005% which although still small odds, is way better than before.

As such people are going to feel a strong urge to wear MF especially if it lands you gear, and gear as we all know potentially = $ on rmah.

So every new gear you find, MF will be the huge deciding factor when choosing what to wear. This may even effect whether to wear the full set of e.g. immortal king set with little to no MF, or just wearing parts of the set, with other different MF gear.

Then again seeing how some stats on gear is randomized, would it be possible to find/roll for IK gear that had MF (from the random attribute ?). Because remember something about no 1 unique will all be the same.

PS: i'm a bit confused though. I thought blizzard said there wasn't going to be any loot tables per say like d2 ? because they didn't want you to be farming any specific monsters, in particular bosses to prevent repetition.

I haven't verified this in Beta but in D2 if you had your bag open you were able to pick one item and "float" it on your mouse cursor.

Also, loot tables most likely will be based on the areas. I.E. this area is level x and loot table Y is what monsters level L-M drop. They have to have loot tables in some way, you wouldn't want to find level 6 gear in inferno would you? At least not often.

Back on the subject of MF. Like most people are saying everyone is going to have MF gear and not care about other stats as much, they need to consider this...

If you can kill monsters wholesale 3 times as fast without MF, you're getting 3 times as many rolls for unique so even though you got less of a chance per monster of getting a unique, well you get the picture.

Also, in addition to loot tables, in Diablo 2 some uniques had increased chances with specific monsters. For example Meph had a thing for the common exceptionals (shako, occy, buriza, string of ears, waterwalks, magefist, shaftstop, vamp gaze. On the other hand the act 5 guys and diablo/baal had a better chance of dropping the elites, but dropped less uniques overall, although the uniques they did usually drop were worth far more (COA, Azuwrath, Valor, Arachnids, Verudngos, Dracs, Treks, the sin boots). Andariel had a thing for rings and amulets. Countess had a thing for mid level runes.
View profile
There were no loot tables in D2 either. Each monster has a monster level. That monster level determins the ilvl range that it can drop an item. The ilvl of an item determines what kinda of affixes can appear on that item.

Like a level 5 monster can drop an ilvl 2-6 item. Say the +damage mod requires ilvl 7. No ilvl 2-6 item will see a +damage affix on it.

The MF rate multiplies the base find rate quality.

Say said monster drops Uniques 1% of the time, Sets 2% of the time, Rares 5% of the time and Magic 10% of the time at the base rate.
Now MF is a wonky stat as its not linear between Unique's and Magic. A 100% MF does not mean you have a double chance of finding Uniques, it suffered from diminishing returns.

In d2 it looked like this.
Magic Items Rare Items Set Items Unique Items
25 24 23 22
50 46 45 41
75 66 65 57
100 85 83 71
1000 375 333 200

So if you had 1000 MF on your character it would increase your Magic drops by 1000%, Rare drops by 375%, Set Drops by 333% and Unique drops by 200%.

If we use the above monster example with 100% MF.
You would have a loot quality chances of:
1.7% (1*1.71) Unique,
3.66% (2*1.83) Set,
9.25% (5*1.85) Rare, and
20% (10*2) Magic

Reason bosses were farmed was because they had bonuses to the base rates.
Edited by Wyvern on 1/5/2012 9:16 AM PST
85 Troll Mage
01/05/2012 07:53 AMPosted by D3BETA
Something like 1/5 of the magic/gold find equipped on the follower adds into your total.

Do you have a source?

Also, is this on all kills you make? What about when follower kills, does it add yours to his?
01/05/2012 07:45 AMPosted by Sentinus
When you say excitement factor are you talking about the 3rd party programs that pick up loot faster than players? lol

well no. Those programs sucked and currently ruin D2.
In a perfect world everyone can see the items, but no 3rd party or cheaters exist, so everyone has the same percentage chance and the excitement factor remains.
Quit advertising and you will quit getting reported.

Find more explanations, strategy guides, and a friendly gaming community at Douche Revolution Gaming.

Fixed.
85 Troll Mage
Quit advertising and you will quit getting reported.

Find more explanations, strategy guides, and a friendly gaming community at Douche Revolution Gaming

Fixed.

Grow up. But just to rub it in, thanks for the free bump.
85 Troll Mage
01/05/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Pleasuredome

In a perfect world everyone can see the items, but no 3rd party or cheaters exist, so everyone has the same percentage chance and the excitement factor remains.

That's the blizzard solution, everyone gets their own drops. The excitement should be more focused on actually making the kill, inferno's supposed to be a lot harder than D2 hell lol.
Pleasuredome
01/05/2012 07:45 AMPosted by Sentinus

what excitement factor, exactly?
85 Troll Mage
But I still took the time to post it here as well, not just on my site. I figure posting useful topics might get people to check it out and maybe get a few members out of it. Win-Win.

Yes you benefit from it. But it's still sleazy tactics no matter which way you sugar coat it.
If you want to advertise, next time be upfront about it. Do not lure people in with nice information just end off the post with a paragraph or two if you advertising some website.

1) Above all else it's useful information, the topic is not misleading in any way. You got what you came for, and quite frankly I haven't seen any article that comes anywhere close to this depth in explaining the interworkings of the item drop formulas and the role of MF.

2) If I want to drop a line and put in a plug for my site, which is where the post was originally made and copied for the blizzard community, there's nothing wrong with that. I've earned that for putting in the time to research and write out an organized guide simplified so anyone can understand it. And I can only hope that the people that are copying it now and posting it on other forums post it in its entirety and leave the link to the original post, but it's not a perfect world.

Consider it a sponsor. Other people would've written an E-book PDF and charged money for guides like this, I put them on my site for free, and chose to post it on the blizz forums because it's helpful to the community, and you're gonna criticize me or adding a link to the site in the post, saying find other guides like this here. Shame on you.

How can I be "more upfront about it"? Would you prefer I just advertise the community and not put up the guide? If I had found it on a different site I would've still given credit to the original author, so why not when it's me? Nobody's making you sign up to DR Gaming, it's your loss. Enjoy the free guide.
Edited by Thugmage on 1/5/2012 12:19 PM PST
I'm not exactly sure how you know how loot and MF is going to work before Blizzard's even figured it out...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3595347368?page=5#96

You have any sources for your information?

Also you mention white and grey's (there's only one type in Diablo 3) as well as Unique items (it's Legendary in D3) which leads me to believe you're simply explaining how D2's loot system works (which can be found free of charge on the Arreat summit) and assuming it's going to work the exact same in D3.

01/05/2012 12:06 PMPosted by Thugmage
Other people would've written an E-book PDF and charged money for guides like this

Hahahahahahahahaha, thanks for the laugh!
Edited by BazDefunct on 1/5/2012 12:30 PM PST
85 Troll Mage
I'm not exactly sure how you know how loot and MF is going to work before Blizzard's even figured it out...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3595347368?page=5#96

You have any sources for your information?

Also you mention white and grey's (there's only one type in Diablo 3) as well as Unique items (it's Legendary in D3) which leads me to believe you're simply explaining how D2's loot system works and assuming it's going to work the exact same in D3.

Having not played the beta I haven't got used to calling them legendary items yet. And yes, most of it is written based on how drops were in D2, being that the ONLY change blizzard announced was the way items were stored in their own database rather than as part of a character, and that each player gets their own drops. If you'll see in the original post which you conveniently omitted to make your point, I did mention that greys only apply if blizzard implements them.

And that post you linked is kind of off-topic as it relates to the role of mf vs co-op play, not how mf effects drops or how drops are rolled.
Edited by Thugmage on 1/5/2012 12:34 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]