Diablo® III

Critique this support build.

Helping bud of mine make a support build. He wants to be a healer; however, wondering if full support will be viable for Inferno. Since that is one person not dealing unending mayhem.

Here is the build - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eXfSYg!Ufd!aYbbZY

Crippling wave - Damage buff for party members
Breath of Heavan - Increased health gain
Inner Sanctuary - Safe haven that also heals members
Serenity - Blocks incoming damage for you and party members
Lashing Tail Kick - One source for damage dealing
Mantra of Healing - Protective barrier when first used. 25% members maximum health is absorbed

One With Everything - all resistances equal that of highest resistance
Guiding Light - Another damage buff to party members each time you heal
Exalted Soul - Larger Spirit pool

What are your thoughts on support builds? Can they be important in keeping people alive in Inferno? Will the lack of damage from one member be too much of a gimp in damage output?
Edited by Gnosis on 1/5/2012 11:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Your build has several wasted talents. Exalted soul is only good for burst, otherwise it doesn't help you do more per extended fight (the only fights where you need support). Why not use Transcendence?

If he wants to play a healer support role, I would recommend something closer to http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#beXhWZ!UaY!ccaacb
This is mob debuffing, player healing, AOE support/tank.
Essentially, you do a triple attack of Sweeping Wind once every nine seconds, and use Crippling Wave otherwise. Keep up the Mantra of Evasion 3 second buff, blind on CD, and heal and pull in mobs as they get on teammates. You have both passive and active heals, minimum 93% damage reduction, AOE slows, grabs, fears, while debuffing every mob near you.
Reply Quote
cyclone strike uses up so much spirit. Also that passive heal only heals the monk and not party members.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
So I tweaked your build to be more supporty.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eXWSYg!Ufa!YaZbaY

With Tsunami it's way easier to keep more mobs locked down with Crippling Wave, and then you use it in conjunction with Resolve.

I, too, added Cyclone Strike, but with the explicit intent that it be used as an emergency move because it's now runed to fear. Also runed Breath of Heaven to fear because why not.

Runed Lashing Tail Kick to stun as a single-target option.

Optionally, swap out One With Everything for Chant of Resistance - gear-dependent.
Reply Quote
cyclone strike heals party members in the radius. The radius is bigger, the heal is bigger and more effecient then Breath of heaven (unless you use Indigo rune). It also does good damage. There are a lot of effects that breath of heaven brings depending on the rune though. A 2.25 second fear might be extremely useful, for example. Both have a reason to use one over the other, but It's really up to you which you'd rather use.

On to the critique!
One problem I have with it is that there is no "monsters deal x% less damage" in the build.
Consider adding resolve in place of Exalted soul or changing the rune on Crippling wave to Concussion.

Another issue I have with it is no movement ability. Because your heal has a small radius, having dashing strike to quickly get your party member back in range of the heal will be extremely important. You're going to lose out on something if you end up taking it.

I don't like the idea of planning on taking one with everything. You may find that your resistances are all pretty much the same, in which case taking it would be pointless. However, if you find yourself with 75 fire resist, but -100 on everything else, then obviously taking it will be extremely important.

Exalted soul sucks.

If you're really focusing on a support role, I'd also change the rune on lashing tale kick to alabaster for the stun.

Here is your build with my modifications:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eXdSYg!afc!cYZbaY

Here is my take on the same build concept:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eQWdSg!fcY!cccZbY
Edited by Kendis on 1/5/2012 4:20 PM PST
Reply Quote

Made changes based off of your take on the build concept.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eWdSQg!Yfc!ccZbbY

Only change I made really was air ally for more spirit gain. Just doesn't seem you will be generating a lot.
Edited by Gnosis on 1/5/2012 5:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
There is no reason to have chant of resonance anymore, the only thing it saves you now is spirit, before it helped you avoid the cooldown on your aura by lengthenening the time between cd's but since they removed the cooldowns it's fairly useless, try resolve and a big aoe type ability,

also cyclone strike runed>breath of heaven
with resolve it lowers all that aoe's damage by 30%, does a large chunk of dmg to them (with a bo) and heals your whole party for a rather large amount.

I'm also not sure guiding light actually does anything. The way it's worded makes it sound like it only applies to single target heals "direct" "you and that player". Gives the impression that it will not work on aoe heals, which is all the monk has. Thus I am assuming it is a misleading tooltip.

I would also advise against serenity, it's only 3 seconds for every 60, when you super really need it you probably are better off with a longer shield and half the time it will be on cooldown, up to you but since we are restricted to only 6 skills having one that is gonna be on cd for 90% of a fight seems iffy to me.
Edited by Kithas on 1/5/2012 7:09 PM PST
Reply Quote

Made changes based off of your take on the build concept.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eWdSQg!Yfc!ccZbbY

Only change I made really was air ally for more spirit gain. Just doesn't seem you will be generating a lot.

That works too. Actually on most builds where I take Mystic ally I go with golden.

01/05/2012 06:56 PMPosted by Kithas
There is no reason to have chant of resonance anymore, the only thing it saves you now is spirit, before it helped you avoid the cooldown on your aura by lengthenening the time between cd's but since they removed the cooldowns it's fairly useless, try resolve and a big aoe type ability,

Actually, over the course of the duration of your mantra, it generates a ton of spirit. 1 per second for 600 seconds, not to mention you use less spirit because you're not recasting the mantra. Effectively, you are gaining 658.3333 spirit per 10 minutes. That's almost 1 extra cyclone strike per minute. I don't think that's worthless at all.
Edited by Kendis on 1/5/2012 7:08 PM PST
Reply Quote

Actually, over the course of the duration of your mantra, it generates a ton of spirit. 1 per second for 600 seconds, not to mention you use less spirit because you're not recasting the mantra. Effectively, you are gaining 658.3333 spirit per 10 minutes. That's almost 1 extra cyclone strike per minute. I don't think that's worthless at all.

In theory yes that is a lot of spirit regen, but that's a very non-support type ability, sure you gain more spirit which lets you heal more often but that only really counts in a pinch and even then you will only be able to hit your heal twice, then wait 75 seconds or use some spirit gens.
also for a 'support' build something like resolve would make much more sense, as it effectively increases your entire parties max hp by 30% or more depending on how it calcs vs armor.
Reply Quote

In theory yes that is a lot of spirit regen, but that's a very non-support type ability, sure you gain more spirit which lets you heal more often but that only really counts in a pinch and even then you will only be able to hit your heal twice, then wait 75 seconds or use some spirit gens.
also for a 'support' build something like resolve would make much more sense, as it effectively increases your entire parties max hp by 30% or more depending on how it calcs vs armor.

He's already taking crippling wave with concussion. Although we don't know this for a fact, I think it's safe to assume that there is diminishing returns on this kind of thing. Otherwise It'd be possible to achieve "monsters do 0 damage."

Resolve only lasts 2.5 seconds, meaning it's really only good if you can do AoE damage fast enough to keep it active anyway. You're not going to be cyclone striking every 2.5 seconds. Crippling wave is already doing the job and better then resolve, so I think resolve is redundant here.

Also, if you're only healing in a pinch, I think you're doing it wrong.

One thing I didn't think about is that you're going to be casting Mantra of healing often due to the way Boon of protection works. I'd sooner change the rune on the mantra then get rid of Chant of Resonence though. 30% vitality all the time sounds better then 25% extra life (effectively) only for 10 seconds after every cast of the Mantra, particularly because of the spirit cost on Mantras.

If you really don't think the spirit generation of Chant of Resonence is worth anything, then I'd probably recommend taking Near Death Experience, Sixth sense, or Seize the iniciative. Maybe One with everything if your gear warrents it, but that is hard to plan for.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
01/06/2012 09:38 AMPosted by Kendis
Resolve only lasts 2.5 seconds, meaning it's really only good if you can do AoE damage fast enough to keep it active anyway. You're not going to be cyclone striking every 2.5 seconds. Crippling wave is already doing the job and better then resolve, so I think resolve is redundant here.

Crippling Wave applies Resolve and they stack (Edit - multiplicatively, that is). That's why I put Indigo on my version, because the intent is to apply Resolve with Crippling Wave.
Edited by Halloom on 1/6/2012 10:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
Is it trully worth having 2 different activated heal skills (breath of heaven and southing breeze) or should you stick to a single one and focus more points on buffing/debuffing?

Reply Quote

I'm also not sure guiding light actually does anything. The way it's worded makes it sound like it only applies to single target heals "direct" "you and that player". Gives the impression that it will not work on aoe heals, which is all the monk has. Thus I am assuming it is a misleading tooltip.

I bet the tool tip is just saying that HOTs wil not trigger the effect.

I've tried to come up with several support type builds and everyone seems to come out different. From the discussions above I came up with follwing buff/debuff build.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ehXdZg!aXf!aZYcbc

The build includes buff/debuff, AOE damage, heal and of course few items to make sure I can buff another day. The only buffing Monk is a living Monk.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]