Diablo® III

Annual pass and console

85 Troll Hunter
If you got an annual pass, and D3 ends up coming out on console, will there be an option to download it for console or just pc?
Reply Quote
Probably not. Blizzard seems to be treating them as entirely different products that will not have an overlap. Jay said at Blizzcon that if they do launch a Diablo game for consoles, then it has to be something that feels like it was made for the console from the ground up. You might infer from this that there could be fairly extensive changes made to how the game plays.

EDIT: Besides, Microsoft would never let that !@#$ fly. Distribute a game on our console for FREE because they bought it on PC? Hell no. Even developers of games originally sold on the XBOX aren't allowed to release DLC without charging for it on XBOX Live.
Edited by Static on 1/14/2012 7:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
3 Draenei Shaman
Actually there are exceptions to the rules, there have been some DLC for free (Pink Knight DLC for Castle Crashers come to mind) and some games for free (Aegis Wing, Dorito Entries Finalists like Crash Course and Harm's Way, etc).
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
Well it wouldn't be distributed for free, it wouldn't cost users anything, but it would be a cost to Blizzard. So it's more of a question if Blizzard would increase their costs, which I think it isn't likely. I was just curious about the possibility since I use a laptop and don't have a PC to be capable of quality gameplay. Thanks for the relplies.
Reply Quote
3 Draenei Shaman
They can put battle.net on the disk or make it an install (like what they did for FFXI and the PlayOnline system they had to login
Reply Quote
If anything I'd assume they'd treat it like they're treating people who have the annual pass but are purchasing the CE. When you register the CE to your battle.net account you are given the approximate retail value of the game as credit towards your wow account (4 months of game time).

Don't see why it wouldn't work the same way for a console version of the game, except that the console version won't come out until long after the pc version. Meaning that a free copy of Diablo 3 will no longer be a part of their incentive program to sign up for the annual pass.
Reply Quote
If anything I'd assume they'd treat it like they're treating people who have the annual pass but are purchasing the CE. When you register the CE to your battle.net account you are given the approximate retail value of the game as credit towards your wow account (4 months of game time).

Don't see why it wouldn't work the same way for a console version of the game, except that the console version won't come out until long after the pc version. Meaning that a free copy of Diablo 3 will no longer be a part of their incentive program to sign up for the annual pass.
Because they're treating it like a different game. They aren't even really talking about making Diablo 3 for consoles. They're talking about "making a Diablo game for consoles." Whether you buy the PC version digitally, at retail, buy a CE, or buy the annual pass, you're still in the end getting the same game. The console version isn't the same game. It's its own thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]