Diablo® III

digital pre-install, allow for beta testers

Since you can't play D3 without a battle.net account with the serial key...

Just let people download(DL) (through bit torrent protocol if you want to save massive amounts of bandwith) the D3 client. Not just those who bought the 1yr WoW sub. or pre-paid the digital copy. [maybe even only beta testers, i dunno]

I'm in the beta, getting the collectors edition, but I don't play WoW. I shouldn't be punished by having a gods-aweful post-purchase install just because I don't play WoW anymore.

Hell you could just release the client on ThePirateBay and be content with it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
You want them to release the full download?

Of a game they're not finished working on?
Reply Quote
I don't think laying hands on the client will be an issue, whether or not you preorder directly from blizzard. It'll probably be accessible to everyone, when it's accessible to anyone, preorder or no.
Reply Quote
Yeah i'm sure they'll the have the client days ahead of the release.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
the problem with pre-downloads is a high risk of pirates effectively beating you to the market, there are starcraft 2 pirate copy's around and I doubt the drm between the two are highly different. having said that you nuts if you don't buy both of them legit because A) online and B) they are amazing. (well ok that last one is an assumption for d3 but id say its a very safe one)
Reply Quote
Im sure the client will be readily available a few days before release, however you will not be able to play unless you actually buy the game.
Reply Quote
Sorry for any confusion, I meant when the game is released, to allow DL of the client to beta testers,( or whoever actually) because you can't play unless battle.net lets you join, so it really shouldn't matter if extra digital clients get out there.

I AM a supporter of FOSS, but also will purchase software worth purchasing, D3 is one of those programs IMHO. So I am in no way supporting piracy, just looking to not have to install 4 DVDs worth of BS the day when I go pick up my CE.

B/c i'll be sitting in my desk chair petting the diablo head and whispering "my precious", and that will eat up enough of my time ;) lol
Reply Quote
01/17/2012 04:57 AMPosted by Thavleifrim
the problem with pre-downloads is a high risk of pirates effectively beating you to the market, there are starcraft 2 pirate copy's around and I doubt the drm between the two are highly different. having said that you nuts if you don't buy both of them legit because A) online and B) they are amazing. (well ok that last one is an assumption for d3 but id say its a very safe one)

Piracy will happen regardless of what they do. Game developers are well aware of it.

There are very few (if any) examples of where the DRM was cracked before the game was released that would make what you said a valid concern.

And I'll be extremely surprised if Blizzard doesn't offer a client download shortly before release.
Edited by Skyfire on 1/17/2012 8:23 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]