Diablo® III

Fundamentals and limited hotkeys

Hi, I know there are some people who are bothered by the limited number of hotkeys for skill and item use (1-5, LMB, and RMB), as I saw in these threads:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3595371773
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3278900774

When I play ranged classes, I prefer not to put any skills on the left mouse button because it's too easy to misclick and end up walking right next to the enemy you were targeting. Also, I find holding shift down all the time gets tiresome, and sometimes I just plain forget about it. But, that's not the main reason I'm posting.

My concern comes with using the fundamentals passive along with 6 active skills. As it is now, the 5 hotkeys and 2 mouse buttons allow space for the 6 active skills and an item (presumably a health potion, but others have also argued that we need more hotkey slots for other items, which I agree with). Anyone who uses fundamentals will have all slots taken up by the basic attack and 6 active skills, leaving no room at all for potions or other items.

Does anyone know any more info on this? I haven't found any updates in the past month or two regarding whether Blizzard plans to tweak this. Do they expect us to constantly swap skills on a hotkey, or to constantly open our inventories to use potions and other items? It doesn't seem that Blizzard would expect us to simply drop fundamentals when we unlock all 6 skill slots, since I thought they wanted to make every skill useful throughout the game.
Reply Quote
Same here. i don't even use the right mouse button. All of my attacks are through hotkeys.
I mentally solved this issue by simply opening the inventory when i need to use a pot.
Reply Quote
01/08/2012 04:11 PMPosted by Lagorathia
my feeling is that potions aren't going to be any good past a certain point in the game, so by level 60 it won't matter.

They make potions that make you wait till level 60 to use, and they keep getting better as you level, so.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
I've been thinking about this for a while, and am worried, but not concerned, it doesn't effect me much, if your not using those passives then it won't have much of an impact. It seems like there is always a better option than those passives anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Lol, all of Wizards signatures are now free starting at lvl 1, so electrocute somps on virtuoso hard. With the Demon Hunter it is a little more up in the air, if you can't hotkey it to another key, its worthless cause you'll still need generators. 200% isn't all that much damage, you can get that pretty fast with a bola shot, and that will hit more, just doesn't seem too great, not saying it's not viable, just that there are better options.
Reply Quote
Concerning the update:

We’re also moving the fifth quick slot button, which is becoming a dedicated potion button.

Judging by the screenshots, there is now only 6 keys for skills, meaning no room for a basic attack with fundamentals. I guess you are supposed to just scrap it when you get your 6th skill..
Reply Quote
they still have the ALT+RMB or X to swap out normal attack, or a skill (6 total)
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Yeah I read about that Sword, and that made me happy, it makes those moves a lot better. In playing around with my builds on my Wizard I found a very good use for Virtuoso, and have come a across some uses in DH builds as well.

The more interesting subject now, is brought up by their reasoning behind this all. They stated that they have experienced no reason to have those passives in builds, there are always better options to handle resource regeneration at max level. They were talking about during tests of Inferno. This makes me wonder if they will perhaps re do those passives, since they will have to be changing a great deal of skills and passives already, since the stats they increased are no longer around.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]