Diablo® III

D3 Expansions, and the Quest of the Horadrim

I know it sounds a bit crazy to start thinking about the expansions of D3, when we have not played the game yet. But here is my line of thought.

It is very possible, and Blizzard has already talked about this, that the game is going to have 2 expansions. They have also said that D3 is the end of the franchise. As far as I see the lore (careful, may contain spoilers) we can all distinguish clearly two possible ways of writing these two sequels:

1- Focusing in the hunting down of the five Sins, i.e. Azmodan's Lieutenants; the ones that are not supposed to appear in D3. Place: Hell/Sanctuary.

2- Focusing in discovering what happened with Malthael, any remaining angels, and the final destiny of the World Stone. Place: Sanctuary/Pandemonium Fortress.

Both of them make perfect sense to me with the information that we now have. Both of them will be strong games that I am sure will entertain the fans.

But here is the thing.

I do not see the killing of Malthael as a proper end of Diablo.

If this is really the end of the franchise, I see another way of closing the story that I think it’s much more powerful: to come back to the beginning of the game, and create a final one using the story of how the Horadrim chased down the three Prime Evils. Imagine it just for one second:

1. Selecting your character from Jered Cain, (Tal Rasha or Zoltun Kulle will not be playable) or any of the other 4 wizards involved. They can create them all just by adding more abilities to the already existing D3 Wizard.

2. Enemy bosses: Baal, Mephisto, and Diablo, the original ones. They also got them.

3. Places: the ones we already know… but anew. Most of the work is done as well.

Once you trapped the 3 in their respective soulstones, once you have lost Tal Rasha to capture Baal, you got to fight Z. Kulle as the epilogue of the story.

If this is not a better end of the franchise than getting your hands on the Angel of Wisdom...
Edited by Alberto on 1/14/2012 9:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/14/2012 09:23 PMPosted by Alberto
It is very possible, and Blizzard has already talked about this, that the game is going to have 2 expansions. They have also said that D3 is the end of the franchise. As far as I see the lore (careful, may contain spoilers) we can all distinguish clearly two possible ways of writing these two sequels:
What? IIRC its to my understanding that Blizzard/Jay Wilson said Diablo 3 was simple the start of a new story and it was going to have at least two expansions, not necessarily they would be the conclusion of Diablo (3) series. There so much new material the Creative Team been building over the years and much won't be able to be covered in D3 and two expansion alone.

But here is the thing.

I do not see the killing of Malthael as a proper end of Diablo.

If this is really the end of the franchise, I see another way of closing the story that I think it’s much more powerful: to come back to the beginning of the game, and create a final one using the story of how the Horadrim chased down the three Prime Evils. Imagine it just for one second:

1. Selecting your character from Jered Cain, (Tal Rasha or Zoltun Kulle will not be playable) or any of the other 4 wizards involved. They can create them all just by adding more abilities to the already existing D3 Wizard.

2. Enemy bosses: Baal, Mephisto, and Diablo, the original ones. They also got them.

3. Places: the ones we already know… but anew. Most of the work is done as well.

Once you trapped the 3 in their respective soulstones, once you have lost Tal Rasha to capture Baal, you got to fight Z. Kulle as the epilogue of the story.
While the "Hunt for the Three" and the additional side Horadric story in putting an end to their mad comrade is a fascinating story itself, it wouldn't make the best game-worthy addition for Diablo. Maybe a few new short cinematics showing the Prime Evils being sealed away by the Horadrim (Zoltan Kulle level?) but, IMHO not game-worthy to pursue.

IMO in terms of storytelling I think it would be in Metzen/Neilson intrests in exploiting this chapter of Diablo lore in the form of a novel or by the Burning Hells, make a "The Dark Exile" trilogy. (Maybe Nate Kenyon could write us that grisly-packed tale, something worthy of being truly a dark Diablo trilogy, filled of utter horror and adventure. Horror fiction is his calling. Blizzard, hound him for it!)

Their big historical lore been so-far told through novels. Much like the Sin War or War of the Ancients trilogies by Knaak, and The Dark Templar Saga for StarCraft by Christie Golden.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]