Diablo® III

Character controls using your brain.

To put forward a more positive and constructive thread...

Recently an interesting article caught my eye, how Japanese scientists were able to make a thought-controlled wheelchair that moves according to what you think. It is apparently very fast and responsive, and 95% accurate.

I wonder; is this a viable option to be explored for a new way to control your character in a game, for a whole new level of immersion?

Personally I think the idea sounds really, really interesting.

(The article is below for your perusal.)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/090702-brain-controlled-wheelchair.html
Reply Quote
My only concern is the line where I'm controlling the game and the game is controlling me.
Reply Quote
10 bucks says 99% of the Japanese scientists would find a way to SOMEHOW still manage to put tentacles in the mix with this idea. Just saying
Reply Quote
01/16/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Zieg
I wonder; is this a viable option to be explored for a new way to control your character in a game, for a whole new level of immersion?

Like this?

http://emotiv.com/
http://emotiv.com/store/apps/applications/117/602

Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Why don't you just get that OCZ brain interface thing.
Reply Quote
Wow that's awesome. In the vid for it they actually change the world based on the player's emotional state...
Reply Quote
I know kung fu!
Reply Quote
01/16/2012 05:32 PMPosted by MrShotgun
I know kung fu!

show me
Reply Quote
This is a sparring program, similar to the programmed reality of the Matrix. It has the same basic rules. Rules like gravity. What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can can be bent. Others, can be broken. Understand?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
OP; The article you linked is 2 and a half years old. Mind-powered wheelchairs are widespread, so I'd guess it didn't pan out well.

01/16/2012 03:20 PMPosted by Ruport
Why don't you just get that OCZ brain interface thing.

Aside from the fact that it doesn't actually read brainwaves? And the fact that it barely worked?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
01/16/2012 03:03 PMPosted by MrShotgun
My only concern is the line where I'm controlling the game and the game is controlling me.

This brings up so many questions.
The AI will take over us some day...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
01/16/2012 05:40 PMPosted by MrShotgun
This is a sparring program, similar to the programmed reality of the Matrix. It has the same basic rules. Rules like gravity. What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can can be bent. Others, can be broken. Understand?

A true Matrix fan I see?
Same here lolz !! ^^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]