Diablo® III

Diablo I & II HD

82 Dwarf Hunter
Was just thinking with some other companies doing re-releases of their old games with new graphics and such, would it not be pretty cool if blizzard did the same thing with Diablo 1 and 2, with d3's engine. I dont think it would take a whole lot for them to recreate the other 2 games. Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else thought this might be something they'd like to see or thoughts on the matter.
Reply Quote
01/16/2012 06:42 PMPosted by Anareian
I dont think it would take a whole lot for them to recreate the other 2 games.

Think harder.
Reply Quote
82 Dwarf Hunter
Well there is alot of stuff that goes into it but with d3's engine and core pretty good to go now it only be a matter of recreateing the other things which mainly would be a chore for the art department, classes and skills and what not would be up to the dev team, wouldn't think it would take a year maybe 2 doing it and not really working that hard on it, just my opinion guy.
Reply Quote
Forget Patch 1.13, they were promising 1.10 for so long it was starting to look like vaporware. They finally got it out when people quit caring because WoW was on the doorstep.
Reply Quote
That means they need to make all the sprites for it. Character models. Quests. Change the way skills work. Change the way stats work. Recreate all the items. Make all the maps. Oh you know, rewrite the entire game.
Reply Quote
Other companies re-make old titles in HD (some that are not that old) because they're insecure about their own company and want to make more money.

Blizzard don't need to waste time re-making old games, D1 and D2 still sell, and i'd rather them put more dev time into D3 and other new games
Reply Quote
01/16/2012 06:54 PMPosted by Gorgazm
Blizzard don't need to waste time re-making old games, D1 and D2 still sell, and i'd rather them put more dev time into D3 and other new games

I think Diablo 1 is abandonware now, or at least has been passed off to those weird little companies that do reprints of games from 1992 and sell them for five dollars in the little corner of the electronics department of your local department store.

The point on Diablo 2 still stands. It's still getting support in the form of online servers and ladder resets. It doesn't need to be remade.
Reply Quote
01/16/2012 06:54 PMPosted by Gorgazm
want to make more money
Want? no. Need? yes.
Reply Quote
82 Dwarf Hunter
01/16/2012 06:53 PMPosted by D3BETA
That means they need to make all the sprites for it. Character models. Quests. Change the way skills work. Change the way stats work. Recreate all the items. Make all the maps. Oh you know, rewrite the entire game.

So if it's useing D3's "engine" why would they ever need to make sprites? change the skills to the likeness of what they were in the older games(ish), items could fairly stay the same, yes they'd have to recreate the maps and quests, however i'm not saying exactly recreate the old games just the old game with a new perspective, maybe a chance to redo the storyline somewhat. I know it would never actually happen guys i'm just throwing out something to talk about besides trolling everything for a release date for D3.
Reply Quote
01/16/2012 06:42 PMPosted by Anareian
I dont think it would take a whole lot for them to recreate the other 2 games

Yes it would. Especially for Blizzard, because they would actually remake the game and polish it just like is taking forever with d3.

Unlikely, especially because it's not as simple as saying "I don't think it would take a whole lot [of time]"
Reply Quote
If Diablo I had a run button, I would think it the superior game to Diablo II.

I'm still not entirely convinced that's not the case.
Edited by MrShotgun on 1/16/2012 8:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
If Diablo I had a run button, I would think it the superior game to Diablo II.

I'm still not entirely convinced that's not the case.

The reason you're not convinced is because Diablo didn't need a run button to be better than D2 :P

It was the fact that you were the same speed as the monsters that made it feel like you were on the edge of your chair, because instead of rounding a corner only to find too many monsters you can't fight, you ran away, but they pursued you with with exact same speed - so you could never get away without rounding corners or TPing. While in D2 either you could run away easily, or they could surround you so easily you were dead. No suspense.

Carefully balanced speed is very important.
Reply Quote
It didn't bother me too much in the dungeons, for that very reason.

It was all the walking in the town that it got annoying. So. Much. Walking.
Reply Quote
If they didn't do this with Brood war after Wings of Liberty came out then they certainly wont with D1/2
Reply Quote
01/16/2012 08:29 PMPosted by MrShotgun
It was all the walking in the town that it got annoying. So. Much. Walking.

Did you ever play the only 'authorized' expansion for Diablo I, Hellfire by Sierra? Your walk speed was doubled in town by the expansion. It looked funny as hell too, because two directions you wouldn't have an animation and the other two you walked so fast it was hilarious.
Reply Quote
Thank you for enlightening us on your opinion of the game, having played all of it, Joshua. We would truly be lost without your guidance.

Did you ever play the only 'authorized' expansion for Diablo I, Hellfire by Sierra? Your walk speed was doubled in town by the expansion. It looked funny as hell too, because two directions you wouldn't have an animation and the other two you walked so fast it was hilarious.

I did not. I read about it and I was like, "This sounds incredibly lame."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]