Diablo® III

So how replayable are the areas?

49 Dwarf Hunter
Question for the beta testers.

How much variance is there in the areas in each game.

I have been playing some Diablo 2 and started remembering how all the outer world areas in
Act 1 are just a giant open square with rocks and random shrines. Sure it does change but the basic idea of giant squares stay the same.

So do the maps have more variance in each game?
Reply Quote
Not everyone may agree with me, but I thought every outdoor area in every act was just a big open square with rocks and random shrines. It was, by far, the weakest part of Diablo 2.
Reply Quote
First of all, it's worth saying that all we've seen so far is the first third of A1. It's pretty linear thus far, but Blizzard has said that it opens up a little bit and gets windier farther in to the game.

But to answer your question, the way it works is that in the overworld, the borders are predetermined, but within the borders, there are several 'sockets,' sort of, in the map, that can be filled with randomly selected pieces for that area. Things like farm houses that may or may not have a cellar, various mini dungeons, interactable objects that when touched spawn a bunch of enemies, etc.

In dungeon areas, however, the map is fully random. The difference between this and D2 is that the lego pieces that it builds the dungeons out of in D3 seem to be a lot bigger, so that you get 10 or 12 of them, rather than 30 or so rooms randomly generated to connect. The dungeons in D3 are also not one solid mass. Like in D2, basically unless you were in an outside room, then every wall around you was directly between you and an adjacent room. In D3 however, there's a great deal more empty space in dungeons.

Hope that helps. =]
01/16/2012 07:48 PMPosted by MrShotgun
Not everyone may agree with me, but I thought every outdoor area in every act was just a big open square with rocks and random shrines. It was, by far, the weakest part of Diablo 2.
They wanted to avoid this, because it lead inevitably to one choice of action. The player always runs around the border of each area, looking for the exit. Everything in the middle is just so much wasted space.
Edited by Static on 1/16/2012 7:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
49 Dwarf Hunter
Yeah both responses were helpful, thanks.

I am interested to see how it plays out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]