Diablo® III

Hit Lag

I suppose we should have one of these threads: Let me know if it exisits on here already and I'll delete it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WsuJXNeLm-4

I noticed this in alot of the beta videos I have seen too but hadn't seen a video lay it out so clearly.

Basically, if you see the hit animation of a monster, you get hit everytime.

It was reported on the forums and Vasadan replied, but never exactly said "noted, it will be fixed" or anything like that.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3530365046#4

Isn't playing mele hard enough with out getting hit by EVERY animation? I think, logically, this MUST be a beta issue and will be fixed. My worry is that due to the online nature of D3, this was deemed acceptable. I don't think it is honestly.
Edited by Snow on 1/10/2012 4:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
umm wow.. +1
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
that has everything to do with latency.
Reply Quote
i dont like the fact that your characters get a "knocked back" hit animation. in diablo 2 hit animations were nomally on when we were stunned and and the swirly above our head like from mind blast or smite (and the "mauler" and "yeti" type mob stun attack)

i don't like the fact that we go into hit animation so frequently
Reply Quote
Weather this is a result of latency or not.. its not really a ok.

I mean, if you were rolling with MASSIVE bad latency I would understand, but when you play it, it feels like.. thats just the way the game is.. not a latency issue.
Reply Quote
was running around 68ms and this was happening to me it really scares me for i'm going to be playing hardcore. +1 please fix blizzard
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
For an online only game, this is a serious issue. I was not aware of this.

+1
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
deouble posted on accident due to error 500
Edited by Snüggles on 4/10/2012 4:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I agree high pings become a big inconvenience, like the link you posted most of valve games use this unlagging system to perfection and it's why its made games like CS, TF2 and L4D very popular, BUT because blizzard and Valve are two different companies and develop DIFFERENT genres of games, aka Valve into FPS, blizzard into RTS and Adventure games it can be difficult to to determine suitable lag compensation for D3.

DOTA 2 should end development soon and would be interesting how they apply their own netcode to an RTS type game; and honestly unlagged netcode has only worked so far on first person shooters with hit-scan weapons(Marines do the shooting for you on SC2 remember?) it could prove a different reality on 3rd person game, and an unfair one for low ping players.

My bottom line is low ping connections are part prestige and privilege for determining victory conditions online.
Edited by Cyrek on 4/10/2012 4:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well, because of this and another thread I read, I tried for the last 20 minutes to get a monster to hit me when I'm "out of range", and can't get it to happen.

I've had an issue where MY attacks shoot strait through an enemy without dealing damage, but I've never had a melee monster hit me without me being very close to it.

I play at 20ms, which I guess is low enough if that particular bug is in fact latency based.
Reply Quote
I don't see the problem.

If it's not latency related you probably just have a huge hitbox against NPC's and the reason is likely so you can't just run past encounters like you could in Diablo2.
Reply Quote
This is a HUGE issue that will make it practically impossible to evade hits in later difficulties if not fixed, which was a huge part of D2. It has nothing to do with latency. It isn't really noticable in normal Beta play because the content is so easy that everything tends to die fast/you don't have to kite much.

However, to see how bad it is, try playing through the beta in your starter gear to simulate higher difficulties. I did this recently for the challenge, and that's when the "hit lag" is very apparent because you don't kill things quickly and would normally run around enemies/kite them, but in D3, they hit you anyway. Generally, if they swing, they hit you, no matter how far away you are when the hit actually lands. Seems like damage is calculated when the animation starts (which sometimes seems to be even BEFORE you SEE the animation starts). So, effectively, something could have rolled a "hit" on you before you even see them START to attack.

EDIT: Thinking further, this may be intended. This may be why they keep saying Inferno is gonna take months for anyone to complete, because you effectively can't evade attacks anymore like you could in D2, so maybe Inferno will be impossible until you have enough gear farmed from Hell to be able to facetank?

hopefully not...

this effectively removes the skill from the game almost entirely

if it IS a design plan, the person at fault should be fired, or demoted or at the very least, this needs to be reversed.

do NOT take the skill out of the game for balancing issues or what have you. bad. move.
Reply Quote
I don't see the problem.

If it's not latency related you probably just have a huge hitbox against NPC's and the reason is likely so you can't just run past encounters like you could in Diablo2.

the problem with that, is doing so is using SKILL to surpass gameplay. this shouldnt be stopped. limiting skill by makign bad gameplay mechanics is foolish and gamebreaking
Reply Quote
Search forums next time? There's already a thread on this. Here's my explanation, reposted:

In general, you cannot avoid hits effectively through positioning by moving alone. Using abilities though to knockback and stun/blind/fear etc monsters works very well and is not subject to the same kind of latency. If you vault away from a monster, or leap, or use some ability to get away, the hits won't register like you are showing - the skill can interrupt the monster swing. The server seems to log skill actions immediately. I think position is updated less frequently to avoid rubber-banding and the like. WoW does this too, but you can force server updates by strafing (which does not exist in Diablo-land). D3 appears to require a skill use to force a server update.

I'm pretty sure this is how D2 online works as well. Torchlight is not a fair comparison because it is single player only.
Reply Quote
Maybe it's on purpose to prevent people from being untouchable by stacking move speed.

limiting skill by makign bad gameplay mechanics is foolish and gamebreaking

Which is funny because you can use actual skills to avoid hits, instead of running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.
Edited by D3BETA on 4/10/2012 8:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Maybe it's on purpose to prevent people from being untouchable by stacking move speed.

limiting skill by makign bad gameplay mechanics is foolish and gamebreaking

Which is funny because you can use actual skills to avoid hits, instead of running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

you cant stack movement speed, (only boots have it) and while its nice that some skills allow this to be taken away, movement should always get rid of such an issue.

do you really think that we should be getting hit when the monsters swing misses us by what looks to be 10 feet? do you really think its ok that scavengers will ALWAYS hit you even if ur running away from them?

http://imgur.com/J5L3y
http://imgur.com/4UcaS
http://imgur.com/r7jMZ
http://imgur.com/6dPzS

id actually really love to hear what you say about this, because blizzard seems to be in the same mindset as you

just bc using skills (read: has the word skill in it) to do it doesnt equate to juking with movement = skill less. dont use a pun on words to say that movement only isnt using skill, its plain and simply taking away from the skill-cap. what happened to easy to learn hard to master?
Edited by D3BETA on 4/10/2012 9:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/10/2012 08:53 AMPosted by Jim
Torchlight is not a fair comparison because it is single player only

path of exile then. its online only, and it works the same as torchlights hit/miss

or realmofthemadgod.com

thats a free website streaming 8 bit game, thats currently outdoing diablo 3 in this regard
Edited by D3BETA on 4/10/2012 9:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't see the problem.

the problem with that, is doing so is using SKILL to surpass gameplay. this shouldnt be stopped. limiting skill by makign bad gameplay mechanics is foolish and gamebreaking

It's not SKILL to stack runspeed and run past everything. If anything that was an exploit in Diablo2 that broke gameplay.

It's not even a bad gameplay mechanic. It's likely that the hit is registered when the NPC swing animation starts, not when it finishes. They can either take increased movement speed out of the game or change mechanics so it doesn't break the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]