Diablo® III

Tempest Rush / Thorn Type Build

Randomly thought of this, would be fun to test:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#hWQdTV!aZc!bYbYcb

Combat Theory:
The whole idea is to be able to have enough spirit generation you can stay running around in Tempest Rush form almost permanently.

Defense: Tempest Rush and Resolve alone give 65% damage reduction - add Defense, Resists and Armor and I would think we'd be capped on damage reduction.

Dashing Strike for mobility and the run speed bonus.

Cyclone Strike to attempt to make things attack you, giving you more spirit.

Spirit Gen:
Sweeping Wind for the Spirit per second buff. If it works out we can do 1 full combo every 3-4 seconds just to keep the buff going.
The guardian's path - we will want to use a daibo for the extra spirit generation. Daibo's usually have a passive Spirit regen stat on them as well (vs healing per spirit used on fist weapons)
Mantra of Retribution: Golden - This is our main source of spirit generation. We will have ZERO dodge because we WANT to be HIT which gives us more spirit!
Mystic Ally will also have a chance to give us spirit.

Healing:
Since we are constantly using Tempest Rush we are constantly healing ourselves with Healing per Spirit used - this can obtained with enchants and monk only headgear (star). We also have transcendence if it is needed.

Our last passive is optional:
Chant of Resonance - Again, we need to maximize our spirit generation to the point it is Regen'ing faster than Tempest Rush uses it.
Fleet Footed - More run speed
Transcendence - Healing
Exalted Soul - Bigger Spirit Bar. This will help cover the cost of Cyclone Strike when initiating fights. Since Mantra of Retribution/Mystic Ally is proc based it could help with those random RNG moments you do not get any procs.

Damage:
Tempest Rush
Mantra of Retribution
Sweeping Wind AOE Buff
Cyclone Strike

Itemization:
Stack Attack, nuff said. With so much damage reduction and healing we might not need high vitality.
Reply Quote
I don't know how it works exactly, but keep in mind that the tempest rush text says "While Channeling", which to me means that taking any other actions other than movement will likely cancel the effect. I could see tempest rush being a valuable skill if you were trying to do boss runs prior to inferno, or as a potential escape skill from an elite pack. You wind up with a max of 19 seconds (+ RNG) damage reduction where you cannot take any other actions, I guess you could try tanking something for your team mates?

I'd much rather spend it punching things, but to each their own =p
Reply Quote
I don't know how it works exactly, but keep in mind that the tempest rush text says "While Channeling", which to me means that taking any other actions other than movement will likely cancel the effect. I could see tempest rush being a valuable skill if you were trying to do boss runs prior to inferno, or as a potential escape skill from an elite pack. You wind up with a max of 19 seconds (+ RNG) damage reduction where you cannot take any other actions, I guess you could try tanking something for your team mates?

I'd much rather spend it punching things, but to each their own =p

Yes, the damage reduction is while channeling. Tempest Rush does damage as you run through things. Almost any spirit generator only really takes about 1 second for a full combo - which means every other couple of seconds you will do a round of sweeping wind which will continue to damage the targets your running through. Mantra of Retribution will also deal damage as mobs beat down on you.

The whole idea is to always be able to run through a pack of mobs with sustained damage and healing while remaining very tanky.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Since there is a good amount of damage created from monsters attacking you wouldn't the "Resolve" passive be counteractive to the build motivation? I may be misunderstanding something here so I'm just trying to clarify.

Otherwise this could be a lot of fun to mess around with. Part of the beauty of being able to swap around skills, experimentation without great penalty. :)
Edited by Doomprophet on 2/1/2012 1:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think Golden rune for Tempest Rush (which is probably -1 spirit per runestone level) would be better for maintaining TR indefinitely.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Rez
but then you lose the damage reduction which I think is what op is focusing this build around.
Reply Quote
biggest issue here is not enough spirit generation.

where will you be able to keep up 15 spirit per tick with only 150 spirit available to you.

Full spirit is 10 seconds. 9 seconds of running since Tempest takes 15 to start.

You have some high spirit spenders too to go along with your build. Here is an AOE tempest build i built that covers the same thing you are wanting to do.

Run around while constantly doing AOE dmg to everyone around you and hitting 170% dmg to those your running through.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#haQWTR!aYd!aZbYbY

With Sweeping, Air Ally, and MoC with Submission you have 60%+20%+17% weapon dmg AOE.

97% weapon dmg per scond to everything 10yrds+ around you.

Now you take Tempest for 170% while running through targets.

Then you add the bonus dmg from the Mantra and the Deadly Reach 40% 3 seconds then 20% + 30%

So a bonus of 50%-70% dmg.

So the math will look like this on targets your running through. Not the targets that just near by.

(170%+97%+50%)=317% dmg to each target you run though.

(97%+50%)=147% dmg to everyone around you not getting tempest rushed.
Reply Quote
If you like the thorns effect vs's your own dmg bonus use this.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#hcQWTV!aYd!aZbYbZ

This will give you your thorns and protect you vs's ranged attacks. You could even keep the run that gives a chance to regenerate 4 spirit.

If you have a large enough crowd of enemies attacking you might get a decent spirit regen but @ the cost of 15 spirit to run.

You will be running less and spirit generating a lot more if you dont change the rune on tempest to be free while running.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]