Diablo® III

How do monks work in PvP?

Hey guys never played diablo before, didnt play beta, etc, so essentially I'm a complete noob at this game, and was just curious about how monks will play in PvP.

I'm a long term MMO player so I get how this game works, I'm just curious about how monk attacks work in PvP.

Basically most of our generators seem to be 3 hit combos, do these abilities root our opponent so that we can get all three hits off, and if not how is monk going to be viable in PvP. I messed with builds and it just seems really easily kiteable. Should PvP monks be stacking the runes with the 50% movement slows so they can stay in range in order to be able to get generators off? Are the stuns better than the slows despite their shorter durations?

I was watching the blizzcon 2010 footage and it seems like the wizard would be able to kite us super easily.

This is just a random build i made based on what sounds good as an MMO player but don't know if it is actually any good?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#hUYdSR!ebV!bZaaZZ

Basically I'm looking to be a dps role in pvp perhaps with a little support.

Another question I have is how significant is the heal of breath of heaven? I don't have a clue how the numbers translate in game, but given that serenity with a crimson rune heals for 3-4 times the amount of breath of heaven it seems like breath of heaven is kind of insignificance? Do you think it is worth having for PvP? Maybe with the guiding light talent?
Reply Quote
I don't plan on doing any PvP so I'm just responding out of theorycrafting point of view.

Sweeping wind I doubt will get much play in PVP because of the limited range. You would need to be able hit a target three times to get one stack up.

I made a few changes to the build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eiYdSR!ebV!aZcaZZ

I swapped the spirit generators to Cripplig with white rune. Helps slow down players and increses damage taken, not just from yuu, but your team mates.

Way of hundred fists with red rune gives you a short gap closer and Dot.

According to the sneak preview on yutube it sounds like Obsidian LAshing kick is pretty much Monks only ranged damage with an added bonus of slowing down players some more.

I like the rest of the skills and runes. The passives sound like made for PvP also.

Sounds like a good start untill we know how the skills actually work and what other people will be playing.

edit:

The breath of heaven is mainly a group heal. There are more powerfull ones that only effect the Monk. It might be a good one with the talent to help boost damage. The main question is: how easy will it be to get 50 spirit in PvP environment. You would need to hit another player 9 times from 0 to cast the Breath. Yuo do start the game with 150 spirit so you can cash dashing strike and roundhouse kick several times and still have enough spirit for an emergency heal.

Also golden rune with serenity would be good one if somone is getting targeted of if your group tries to finish somone off. Cool down is long but only requires 10 spirit to cast.
Edited by D3BETA on 1/20/2012 5:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
"I'm a long term MMO player so I get how this game works, I'm just curious about how monk attacks work in PvP."

You don't get how this game works. It's not an MMO. Diablo isn't WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
"I'm a long term MMO player so I get how this game works, I'm just curious about how monk attacks work in PvP."

You don't get how this game works. It's not an MMO. Diablo isn't WoW.

Don't be a jerk, as far as fighting is concerned diablo is extremely similar to most mmo's except it is more fast passed and less group focused. So yeah, his mmo experience will deffinatly give him an edge in diablo, just minor differences here and there.
Reply Quote
01/20/2012 07:17 AMPosted by McDaniels
Another question I have is how significant is the heal of breath of heaven?
None of us actually know but an estimate would be that max life will be around 50-60k on average. It's probably a safe bet to say that health pools are more than a skill could heal for and Serenity heals for 42,705. So Breath of Heaven will probably be healing for about 20-25% of your life.
01/20/2012 07:17 AMPosted by McDaniels
I don't have a clue how the numbers translate in game, but given that serenity with a crimson rune heals for 3-4 times the amount of breath of heaven it seems like breath of heaven is kind of insignificance? Do you think it is worth having for PvP? Maybe with the guiding light talent?
I guess it depends how often you will be needing to be healed since Serenity has a cooldown. Regardless, Serenity is the better choice for pvp because it heals you a ton and it only costs 10 Spirit which is needed to you know... kill stuff.

Here's my pvp build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#iSQYdg!YdV!ZZbabY
I started writing out an analysis of it because I kinda just made it on the spot but it started getting kinda long so I thought I should just go and make my own thread for it :p
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]