Diablo® III

Why can't the Angels beat the Burning Hells?

Okay, so I just finished reading the Book of Cain. Apparently, the Burnings Hells and the Angiris Council are evenly matched in the Eternal Conflict. So evenly matched that neither side can make any headway for a millennia. This prompts Inarius and Lillith to defect, snatch the Worldstone, and create Sanctuary. That all I understand. But, what I don't understand is what is going on in the Council when the Burning Hells are clearly in weakened state following the Hunt for the Three. Five of the seven major demons (including three primes and two lessers) are effectively neutralized. Azmodan and Belial are the only one's who are manning the Hells while the Nephalem/Humans/Tyrael are beating up on those in Sanctuary. Wouldn't Imperius notice this? If he is all about valor and warfare and has this brilliant strategic military mind, you would think he would mobilize his Angels to end the once "Eternal" conflict, after all this time. The Burning Hells wanted to capture Sanctuary to tip the balance of the conflict in there favor, as even the slightest edge would offset the eternal balance between the sides. Doesn't having all of the demons K.O.'d do this for the Council? Am I missing something here?
Reply Quote
Book of Cain p.45
The treaty (which is still in effect) brought the Eternal Conflict to a grinding halt, thus robbing Imperius of further opportunities to prove his valor in combat.
Reply Quote
Oh, well there it is then. Thanks. I must have missed that!
Edited by Sapience on 1/23/2012 3:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
On the last page before the area descriptions Cain also mentions that for reasons he cannot fathom the High Heavens are staying silent on the situation. For all we know they were just waiting for Tyrael to get resurrected Gandalf like.
Reply Quote
95 Human Mage
01/23/2012 11:07 PMPosted by daraghuman
On the last page before the area descriptions Cain also mentions that for reasons he cannot fathom the High Heavens are staying silent on the situation. For all we know they were just waiting for Tyrael to get resurrected Gandalf like.

I suspect the Angiris Council has had a falling out. I'm betting that Imperius has thrown Tyrael out of Heaven for his transgressions (breaking the treaty by getting involved in Sanctuary, and destroying The Worldstone), and with Tyrael's tie-breaking vote now gone, Imperius has the leverage to wage war on Sanctuary and purge it before the Nephalum become too powerful.

As for Azmodan and Belial, I suspect the two of them now control substantially larger armies than they did before the Dark Exile. If Heaven did try to attack, Azmodan and Belial would put aside their Civil conflict, and dedicate two far more unified armies of hell against the Angels. I suspect that during the contemporary events unfolding in game, Azmodan is seeking the Black Soulstone so as to imprison Belial, take control of his territory, and assume control over all the demons and all the armies of Hell. With the Burning Hells fully unified for the first time in... eons... Azmodan may have the strength to topple Heaven.
Reply Quote
The better question is how the Burning Hells don't roflstomp Heaven considering Heaven's armies are all man sized infantry vs. the combined arms of Hell's army. Yeah angels can fly, but taking on a 50 foot tall godzilla demon?

Edit: Also demons can corrupt angels but angels can't seem to de-corrupt demons. Imba! Nerf demons!
Edited by marshmallow on 3/2/2012 3:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
The better question is how the Burning Hells don't roflstomp Heaven considering Heaven's armies are all man sized infantry vs. the combined arms of Hell's army. Yeah angels can fly, but taking on a 50 foot tall godzilla demon?

Edit: Also demons can corrupt angels but angels can't seem to de-corrupt demons. Imba! Nerf demons!

If size mattered that much, how can the d2 / d1 characters, who were smaller in size than angels, take on the prime evils and prevail? :O
Reply Quote

If size mattered that much, how can the d2 / d1 characters, who were smaller in size than angels, take on the prime evils and prevail? :O

They are in humanized hybrid forms. Lord of Sin, Azmodon towered over Leah in the one cinematic. Do you really think Diablo is dwarfed by this guy whom is also considered a Prime Evil versus that giant Lesser Evil?
Not that size = power in Diablo universe, but all the same.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Spam Static then use Blizzard.

gg
Reply Quote

They are in humanized hybrid forms. Lord of Sin, Azmodon towered over Leah in the one cinematic. Do you really think Diablo is dwarfed by this guy whom is also considered a Prime Evil versus that giant Lesser Evil?
Not that size = power in Diablo universe, but all the same.

they are all equally dangerous, prime means nothing to sanctuary. it is just the fact that diablo mephisto Baal feed off each other, unlike the others. they form a better team and keep each other in power. but once they where over taken by the lesser evils.
also heaven and hell are equal in power. which will come to a bitter end like Anu vs Tethamont. untilll we came to be we are the fulcrum and the deciders of which side to help.
Edited by Gunghoe on 3/30/2012 1:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]