Diablo® III

Why include white items in the game?

(Locked)

Diablo 2 did not have a crafting system.

I picked them up for their sell value. Because I'm anal that way.

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/crafteditems.shtml
What?
01/19/2012 10:30 PMPosted by SOMETHING
DOnt pick it up it that simple folks

Doing something (or not doing something) repeatedly for a long times can sometimes make you ask "Why am I doing/not doing this." Asking this enough times makes you start wondering "What is this point of all this." Asking this enough times makes you realize "Oh, there is no point." Sitting with this knowledge long enough makes you go, "So, why is it there at all?"

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/crafteditems.shtml
What?

Well, that's embarrassing. I never bothered with that system because nothing that came out of it seemed to be worth the time. I did not use it for so long I completely forgot about it.

I am a foolish fool who foolishly spoke without thinking.
Edited by MrShotgun on 1/19/2012 10:34 PM PST
01/19/2012 10:23 PMPosted by D3BETA
One thing I can't understand however is why people are moaning about crafting becoming more tedious now. I don't know if it is just me, but I have multiple stacks of Common Scraps sitting in my chest while I am able to keep all others down to less than a full stack.

It's only because you were able to salvage white items to get those common scraps that you have full stacks of them. Think of how many scraps, common or magic, you would have without white salvaging. You would probably be crafting about 10% as often.

01/19/2012 10:23 PMPosted by Urasim
After a certain point in the game, you will no longer need to acquire blues for their salvage materials.

I disagree. Crafting inferno level gear will require inferno level crafting materials. Yes, the crafts you get from normal difficulty items won't be useful in Inferno, but the crafting materials you get from inferno gear will continue to be useful. I can't bring up examples as they seem to have removed all of the high level crafting recipes, but I remember them requiring plenty of inferno crafting materials, common, magic, rare, and unique.

Not to mention, will you REALLY want to be breaking down unique inferno level items? I bet most of those will sell for $10+ on the RMAH.
Well, that's embarrassing. I never bothered with that system because nothing that came out of it seemed to be worth the time. I did not use it for so long I completely forgot about it.

No worries. You can definitely do pretty much everything the game has to offer without ever running in to it.

Hey, no problem. To be fair... For a long while crafting in diablo 2 was terrible till they patched it(Sometime after 1.11?).
Whites are important, I like playing with unenchanted items and I like to wear full Common sets and role play, why else?

I will defeat everything with my Common set, who needs magical items? Or a skill set? Just arm me with a long sword, kite shield, great helm, full plate-mail, plated belt, gauntlets, greaves and I'm good. I'll just auto attack. I'll only spam auto attack. Fury generators? No. Fury spenders? No. I enjoy seeing the full rage meter.

Old fashion white items and left click. On hardcore.

This is definitely an achievement in game.
There used to break up the magical weapon drops. I all fits into the Jackpot system.

Its like saying, why include lemon's in the slot machine, why not just have all cherries?

see white item?

DOnt pick it up it that simple folks

I don't think it's that simple personally. There was a very good use for them before today's announcement. I feel it's more like along the lines that they took the cherries and made them all lemons. Cherries don't have a great use, they normally get you your money back 1:1. Whites were kinda like that, a small boost. Now they don't even feel like a small boost, they feel extraneous.
Actually, they've already explained that white items are continuing to drop because it apparently makes the higher-quality items more special, because I guess having another tier below that which has no value whatsoever increases the value of the higher-quality ones. I guess nobody in Blizzard passed Econ 101.
Edited by MrShotgun on 1/19/2012 11:08 PM PST
01/19/2012 11:08 PMPosted by MrShotgun
Actually, they've already explained that white items are continuing to drop because it apparently makes the higher-quality items more special, because I guess having another tier below that which has no value whatsoever increases the value of the higher-quality ones. I guess nobody in Blizzard passed Econ 101.

I know that was their explanation, I was hoping there might be a better one. As I said I don't think that having a purpose to white items makes higher quality items dropping less exciting.
Relativity my good sir! Relativity.

By implementing more bad items, they make the other items seem better

01/19/2012 11:20 PMPosted by Loren
By implementing more bad items, they make the other items seem better

Obviously, we are not fooled.
Blizzard Employee
Diablo is about loot explosions. We can't realistically have loot explosions without a bunch of confetti and glitter that makes it all look exciting, but has no value except to make the explosions more satisfying. Gold still did this to a degree, but we were missing the "arrows and bolts" of yesteryear. White items were worth something and we really didn't have any junk we could just throw out with no limit. Now we do.
01/19/2012 11:25 PMPosted by Bashiok
Diablo is about loot explosions. We can't realistically have loot explosions without a bunch of confetti and glitter that makes it all look exciting, but has no value except to make the explosions more satisfying. Gold still did this to a degree, but we were missing the "arrows and bolts" of yesteryear. White items were worth something and we really didn't have any junk we could just throw out with no limit. Now we do.

Bashiok please tell me your joking. I just find it hard to believe that you are sitting at your desk right now and actually typing this completely seriously. Do you really believe that having worthless items somehow raises the value or excitement level in actually finding a rare item? If so i think your crazy.

We have all played Diablo here. Item explosions didn't add any excitement to anything.
Edited by ACPRO on 1/19/2012 11:31 PM PST
The thing about explosions is the mess they make. Sure they look cool to begin with but after it's over you have to go through the rubble to find what's left.

I'd rather less of an explosion and less sorting to find the good stuff.
Edited by D3BETA on 1/19/2012 11:28 PM PST
60 Gnome Warlock

Something just sounds wrong with this...

At least make them semi profitable so there is at least SOME point to them other then "making rarer items feel more awesome." Or just get rid of them altogether, I don't like the idea of there being pointless items in the game to enhance the feel of other items.

I quit being impressed by pinatas when I was seven. I recognized that it was easier just to go and buy a candy bar instead of wasting a ton of paper and encouraging children to beat small animals with stick to get the same result.

I do appreciate you taking the time to respond, though. And I know the developers probably aren't going to be swayed by our arguments. This is just how we display our frustration.
Edited by MrShotgun on 1/19/2012 11:29 PM PST
49 Dwarf Hunter
Well if you guys insist on including grey/white item explosions can you at least give us a filter so that they don't pop up when we hit the button or mouse over them?
Edited by Boombeard on 1/19/2012 11:31 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]