Diablo® III

Zoltun Kulle and Dahlgur Oasis

(POTENTIAL SPOILERS) Being bored I reviewed over Book of Cain again and one particular word curiously stood out.

Those who don't know the titled names...
  • Zoltun Kulle was a member of the legendary Horadrim mages who turned "bad and fast" for unknown reasons sometime after Diablo was sealed away. He also mentioned to somehow caught onto immorality.
  • Dahlgur Oasis was one of three Act II areas shown recently at Blizzcon '11. A wellspring of water shown to Caldeum's city fathers by the mysterious western "Prophet Dahlgur" (who soon disappear back west) that would lead the ascendance of the new trade city.

• "After the deed was done, two more of his archives were found in the deserts and oases; we destroyed them." - "The Hunt for Zoltun Kulle", page 94
    Oases... Dahlgur Oasis?

The latter archive shouting to me that the Dahlgur Oasis is unknowable the site (atop?) of one these forgotten Archives of Zoltun Kulle. It was said his head was placed in the desert, while his body put into a dimension in a vain attempt by the Horadrim to incapacitate their mad, and now (allege) immortal comrade from ever returning as a threat to Sanctuary.

Though how did Belial (and Azmodan) came to learn the existence of this so-to-speak "fourth" soulstone and his is currently occupying the oasis, or even how this matter would tie in with the mysterious prophet, beats-me.

Also Zoltun Kulle being the handler of the Soulstone and maker of the Black Soulstone, do you think those smaller fragments of the Amber Soulstone as major plot point or given mention in D3? Serving as the essential ingredients (or core crystal) in creation of this 'surrogate heart/soulstone.' Hmm, maybe even some unused fragments still lying about...

But anyway, just conjecture but what do ya' think? Seems like a strong possibility.
    Reply Quote
    Even if the amber fragments were not used in the direct creation of the Black Soulstone, I am confident that Kulle learned everything he could about them so that he would be able to create the master of them all. It seems reasonable that these fragments, assuming they have not been lost to time, would return and play an important part of future events.

The largest fragment was used to hold Baal in conjunction with Tal Rasha, so I am sure the smallest would have some power. They could have been used and possibly consumed by Kulle in his research.
    Edited by Darkshape on 1/25/2012 11:35 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Mage
    My belief is that Azmodan seeks to obtain the Black Soulstone so as to imprison Belial. Each of the original soulstones were created to specifically imprison one of the three Prime Evils. The Black Soulstone has the power to imprison ANY Angel or Demon. With Belial imprisoned, Azmodan could assume full control over all of Hell, uniting all of it's armies, and launch a truly unified force against The Heavens.

However, I suspect that our Characters will need to acquire the Black Soulstone ourselves to stop Imperius from wiping out humanity. I think Imperius will see the humans growing in power since the destruction of the Worldstone, and in order to stop humans from becoming a third Power to rival The Heavens and Hells, he will choose to wipe us out. He's never liked humans, and the prophecy about "Valor will turn to Wrath" leads me to believe that he's going to become an antagonist for us. Thus we'll need something like The Black Soulstone to stop him.
    Reply Quote
    85 Blood Elf Paladin
    Wow Lori, thats pretty damned good.

What i'm worried about is that Azmodan might be trying to use the stone for other means...

If the Black Soulstone can take the soul of ANY Demon and/or Angel... What if you could store more than one soul ? What if he is trying to get the souls of the other Evils and re-incarnate Tathamet....

I love your side of the story though :) You're is more plausible.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Mage
    True, it isn't clear if the Black Soulstone is a one use item, or if Azmodan or others could use it to store the essences of several Angels/Demons. If it could, that would be pretty devastating.
    Reply Quote
    Hmm, while I've read over the Black Soulstone's capabilities in harnessing the essence of either demons or angels I've never did consider any angelic candidates for a soulstone imprisonment. It is inevitable that heroes of Sanctuary will need to stand up for themselves from Imperius' zealous nature and end the human massacre treat he represents. But oie, heroes using the Black Soulstone against the Archangel of Valor be one twisted move (and cinematic).

If Azmodan and Imperius were to share the Black Soulstone that would bring about entire new meaning of "Valor will turn to wrath" rather a subtle Deadly Sin conversion. Intriguing... However that concept could be argued by StarCraft lore buffs being a Diablo rehashing of the Zamara/Ulrezaj khaydarin crystal plot from the Dark Templar Saga.

BTW, is there any interest with the tread's main topic?
    Reply Quote
    What if he is trying to get the souls of the other Evils and re-incarnate Tathamet....

In the Book of Cain the Dragon is referred to as the Prime Evil. In the Black Soulstone cinema Azmodan says his plan is to become the Prime Evil. Pretty straightforward I think. Too bad for him that Diablo is gonna ruin everything.
    Reply Quote
    03/02/2012 03:24 PMPosted by marshmallow
    In the Book of Cain the Dragon is referred to as the Prime Evil. In the Black Soulstone cinema Azmodan says his plan is to become the Prime Evil. Pretty straightforward I think. Too bad for him that Diablo is gonna ruin everything.

Totally didn't think of that. But the big 3 were called the "prime evils". So it is possible that he's just wanting to get rid of belial and become the sole head hancho. The "prime evil" so to speak.
    But as much as i think thats possible, i totally think your right. That he's plotting to become Tathamet.

On a side note, did anyone think it was kinda stupid to have a lord of sin? i mean. Hate, destruction, terror, pain, agony, lies.. annnnd sin. Even if it isnt stupid to have a lord of sin. How is he not one of the big three? They fueled each other and were powerful because of it, but how does the lord of sin not get fueled by you know.. everything.
    Reply Quote

On a side note, did anyone think it was kinda stupid to have a lord of sin? i mean. Hate, destruction, terror, pain, agony, lies.. annnnd sin. Even if it isnt stupid to have a lord of sin. How is he not one of the big three? They fueled each other and were powerful because of it, but how does the lord of sin not get fueled by you know.. everything.

All the Evils were named in Diablo 1 so they were sorta locked in. Which is kinda weird, since the game was only about Big Red himself. I guess they had plans for sequels at the time? Or just felt like giving more backstory than was strictly necessary. It all worked out pretty well, except for little things like Lilith and Lucion being just semi-normal (if more powerful than average) demons despite their father being a Prime.
    Edited by marshmallow on 3/3/2012 1:37 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    In the book of Cain it is stated that the amber soulstone was broken while they were chasing Baal through the desert. The soulstone was being handled by Zoltun Kulle. Being the expert on the soulstones, he would have allowed the soulstone to be purposely destroyed. This would allow him to "suggest" that the only way to contain Baal would be with the addition of a human host.

By eliminating the head of the order, Kulle would have been able to retreive the shards and then make his laboratory in a nearby oasis... I think it is a strong possibility that the amber shards, perhaps along with the smaller shards of Mephisto's soulstones that were implanted in the Zakarum, were critical in the creation of the black soulstone.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]