Diablo® III

White items

32 Worgen Warlock
I have heard that the white items are not meant to be picked up, but are going tot be there for "display" to make it seem like the person is getting lots of loot. I think that that idea is very stupid, if you want the kills to be dramatic and the person to feel satisfied, you would be better to have a bunch of shiny items that they can see but not pick up that burst out of the corpse and hit the ground.

People are not stupid and will just get annoyed and frustrated when they have to wade through all the white items that they are not supposed to pick up (and if they do will become more useless than they already are) to get at the real loot.

I don't think I am the only one who would rather have just shiny loot that they can't interact with than white items they they can but shouldn't pick up.
Reply Quote
The reason for the loot pinata is not because it's pretty or because we need sparkles.

It's a psychological principle that people are more motivated in these situations if there is irregularity in the results. Without trash drops, everything that drops would be good/useful, and each piece would be less exciting to get. In essence, we need that little moment of disappointment of seeing a white item drop for contrast and to make the legendary drop all the more exciting. Do you remember seeing a great rare or unique drop from a barrel or rock in D2? It was exciting because you would expect it to be a white item, but you had a great windfall.

Non-interactive items wouldn't fulfill the role nearly as well because it is non-interactive. Additionally, you *can* pick up, and even use, white items, but it will ultimately not be particularly effective or useful. Having something with a marginal use is better for the psychological effect than something that is entirely non-interactive.
Reply Quote
the novelty of arrows/bolts/thawing potions was simply a waste in d2...
the last thing we need is RP in terms of treasure.

waste of dev time, server talk, and our time.

either it should just be the gold equiv that drops, or the white item must contain some supply benefit to some type of recipe

http://sites.google.com/site/gamethoughting/news/whennottorp/2012-01-01_2043.png
Edited by D3BETA on 1/26/2012 8:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
32 Worgen Warlock
I think that the main thing that bugged me was the fact that they said that they would reduce the worth of the white items even more, if people actually picked them up and sold them.
Reply Quote
the point of their promise of reducing white items further if need be is that your time is better spent going after valuable items.

Kinda like the people you see on the side of the road with signs. sure they are getting some nickle and dimes, but what is their overall profit per hour vs if they had a real job? even if someone gives them a 100 dollar bill once, average that out to the dollar or two you usually ever see them get on occasion.

do you stop and pick up a penny when you see it on the sidewalk? or a public bathroom floor? nothing is stopping you but perspective

tl/dr
you can spend time picking up pennies or move past them after dollars.
Edited by CakeMountain on 1/27/2012 12:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
32 Worgen Warlock
do you stop and pick up a penny when you see it on the sidewalk? or a public bathroom floor? nothing is stopping you but perspective

Actually I do a lot of the time. Maybe not all, but I do. I think that people should have the right to pick up white items that are worth very little and not have that value decrease just because people are actually trying to make that into profit (even if it that profit doesn't go far).
Reply Quote
I also think that with the removal of the tools that break down items you will be a holdup for your group like a guy with a peanut bladder

"hey guys i gotta go" repeated every 5 min

if you will make more gold per hour just running past the junk why do you want to sell the junk? do you enjoy excessive trips to town?

in d2 you were able to pick up every arrow and bolt and scroll that dropped, but it wasnt worth the time.
Edited by CakeMountain on 1/28/2012 2:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
Another purpose that the white items serve is to give the player an idea of what level items can be dropped in that area (without logging out and looking on the internet).

You can easily compare the base stats of items by picking them up and looking at them. If the base stats of the white item are better than the base stats of your magic item, then you know that it is time to upgrade.

Also, assuming that the drop system is somewhat similar to how it was in D2, ALL items that are dropped are white, from there (depending on monster level, MF, etc.), there is a chance that the item will proc up as a magic, rare, or legendary item.

Removing the items whenever they turn up low quality would also remove that slot machine feeling that you get whenever the item is what you wanted, but not the right quality.

Basically, even though the removal of white items would statistically have no impact on the strength of your character, it would utterly destroy the (addictive) feel of the game.
Edited by Monty on 1/29/2012 11:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
you arent really proving that there is a problem beyond your preferences. when the cubes were still around they had value to force you to make decisions, but now they are just glitter to power the loot explosion.
Reply Quote
01/29/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Monty
Another purpose that the white items serve is to give the player an idea of what level items can be dropped in that area

no, really, think about that.

No one is running a zone to discovery area levels and keeping personal lists of their own anecdotal experience, experimenting with areas...

(when an MPQ file will be opened and displayed on diablo sites the first hour upon release.)
they will go to the internet, wisely, as we all should.

01/29/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Monty
ALL items that are dropped are white

practically it is the same as d2
but it is just as easily rolled down into gold, rather than be the white item.

all grey/white items need no drop anymore, there is no reason other than padding the users time with "Roleplay" visuals... fine for visual sake, but not when it gets in the way of our treasure

devs, dont F---K with the working mans/womens treasure

useless drops in d2 is exactly the problem, and gold had NO significant value for trade, just a consumable for gambling now superseded by crafting, presumably more valuable now in D3
Edited by D3BETA on 1/29/2012 8:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
no, really, think about that.

No one is running a zone to discovery area levels and keeping personal lists of their own anecdotal experience, experimenting with areas...

(when an MPQ file will be opened and displayed on diablo sites the first hour upon release.)
they will go to the internet, wisely, as we all should.

This goes completely against Blizzard's design philosophy. They don't want people running around and tabbing between the game and the website.

I am also not advocating that people keep a list of where items drop. Just that they will learn from the game based on experience.

You are overestimating the number of people that will refer to a website for information. I would say that most people play the game simply by feel, that is, they get the general idea of what to do by playing the game as opposed to looking it up online.

practically it is the same as d2
but it is just as easily rolled down into gold, rather than be the white item.

all grey/white items need no drop anymore, there is no reason other than padding the users time with "Roleplay" visuals... fine for visual sake, but not when it gets in the way of our treasure

Items could very easily be rolled into gold, that is true. But I do believe that would have an impact on the perceived value of items.

One blue item sitting in a pile of white items is much more tempting then one blue item sitting there by itself.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

This goes completely against Blizzard's design philosophy. They don't want people running around and tabbing between the game and the website

oh come now
I got an actual message from a GM saying to use Wowhead.com as it is a great source for info.
Reply Quote
32 Worgen Warlock

Monty

Another purpose that the white items serve is to give the player an idea of what level items can be dropped in that area (without logging out and looking on the internet).

You can easily compare the base stats of items by picking them up and looking at them. If the base stats of the white item are better than the base stats of your magic item, then you know that it is time to upgrade.

As far as I remember, they said that any item would drop from any enemy. That makes it seem that the item you get could be a completely different level than the monster that dropped it. If that is the case that voids your statement.
Reply Quote
01/30/2012 10:09 PMPosted by Llexx
any item would drop from any enemy.

it's just not true though.

Item generation still adheres to levels, you can only get an amulet in beta from the "returned", and possibly SK in beta.

the vessels in the SK room can drop items, but as for their ilvl </shug> I am uncertain if D3 uses an area_level system (patch 1.10+ from D2 LoD)
if yes, any vessel in the Sk room can drop amulets.

all of this would be solved if items just had the ilvl as part of their info, perhaps hidden with an advanced option in the menu... just saying devs.
Edited by D3BETA on 1/31/2012 6:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
I vote for a loot filter, it should be an option if you really want it.
Reply Quote
34 Gnome Rogue
01/27/2012 12:31 PMPosted by CakeMountain
you can spend time picking up pennies or move past them after dollars.

i do both?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]