Diablo® III

PvP Monk!

Here's the build!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acZhUk!Vcd!YYbZab

The build is a stun-locking build using Lash Tail Kick.

I'll start with the passives:
Exalted Soul: Lets you start off with 250 spirit. You're going to need a lot of it.

Near Death Experience: Is a reset button if you die. If you die you start again with 35% of your health health and 87 Spirit. If you have Breath of Heaven you can instantly heal your self after dying if you want. Or you can Dash right in and Stun them for a while :P

Chant of Resonance: This build needs the extra Spirit generation.

Now for the skills:
Mantra of Healing: Heals and 3 spirit per sec. Both really good bonuses.

Fists of Thunder: Fastest Spirit generator which is very important. Attacks 2.45 times a second while dual-wielding with 1.4 attacks per sec weapons.

Serenity: Heals you, buying time to generate some extra damage and Spirit to continue the stun lock.

Mystic Ally: "passive" damage and possible extra 100 spirit.

Lashing Tail Kick: 250 Spirit Allows us to use 8 Kicks and still have 10 Spirit left over without even considering the passive Spirit Generation you will have and Spirit Gens you can be using in-between stuns.

Dashing Strike: Mainly just used to initiate. Kinda sucks that that's all it will do but it's necessary.

You have 5 Spirit passive regeneration just from the skills/runes. Automatically adding the 5 spirit in every 1 second in the table below (so on every Lashing Tail kick).

Seconds / Spirit Left after using skill / Skill Used
* / 250 / Nothing
* / 225 / Ally
* / 200 / Mantra

Run in circles or something for 10 seconds so that you generate your spirit back.
0 / 240 / Dashing
1 / 215 / Lash
- / 227 / FOT x2
2 / 202 / Lash
- / 214 / FOT x2
3 / 189 / Lash
...You get the idea. Skipping ahead...
12 / 37 / Lash
- / 49 / FOT x2
13 / 24 / Lash
- / 36 / FOT x2
14 / 11 / Lash
- / 23 / FOT x2

Not enough Spirit to Stun again. Assume you die immediately.
Total Damage of 1 Dashing Strike, 14 Lashing Tail Kicks, and 28 Fist of Thunder:
5680% Weapon Damage.

Near Death Experience kicks in:
* / 87 / NDE
* / 62 / Mantra
0 / 52 / Dashing
1 / 25 / Lash
* / 37 / FOT x2
2 / 12 / Lash
* / 24 / FOT x2

Assume you die immediately again. Total damage from NDE: 880%
Total Damage from before and after NDE: 6560%

These numbers ignore and make the following assumptions:
15 spirit gain from FOT crits
2% chance to gain 100 spirit from ally
All damage the ally does
The fact that Serenity is an option
Any bonuses gear may give besides weapons base attack speed
That the enemy kills you the moment the stun-lock breaks

I excluded all those factors because if it's a viable build (which I think it is) without them, it's even more viable when you include all of those hard to measure but beneficial things.

Critique away! Or yell at me for making an unfun pvp build... I feed on your tears!

This is where I got the weapon attack speed numbers from:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455189#
Edited by Meekle on 3/5/2012 11:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Even though no one cares, I updated the build and OP with the new changes that happened. I'm surprised it still works with a 1 second stun AND pulls off more damage than before.
Reply Quote
I missed it when you originally posted this. Really nice idea though!

Just one question, wouldn't Thunderclap's teleport aspect be more useful than Quickening? I know you need all the spirit you can get, but that type of movement seems like a perfect fit for PVPing.

Also, thanks for linking that generator attack speed thread, that should really get stickied. Especially if he decides to update it after release.
Edited by blitzkrieg on 3/6/2012 12:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
Near death experience, for me its only useful in HC mode and it's 90 sec cooldown, way too long for pvp.
Take seize the initiative because you will max out dex gem for good bonus.
Reply Quote
I have so much to say :( . Unfortunately the game is going to be so highly competitive because it really involves $$ , this really discourages teaching / helping / sharing :( and rewards keeping the best intel. / synergies for yourself(?) :(
Reminds me of elitist jerks....After a year or so most of the intel. / synergies should be pretty mainstream, especially if there will be player examining / Armory
Edited by Candle on 3/6/2012 8:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Meekle i would change out chant for Trans for free heals.

you shuold be able to build enough spirit by attacking the enemy unless your goign for a LOS strat of running away to fill your spirit then come back at them in full force.

Issues with this would be the enemy will have time to collect the health globe orbs on the map so unless your always taking them then LOS may prove to be more difficult.

I also like MoC with Dishearten.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#.....j!!.....b

slows targets by 30% AOE as well as targets taking 12% more damage.

This should help you catch your enemy as they flee.
Reply Quote
Just one question, wouldn't Thunderclap's teleport aspect be more useful than Quickening? I know you need all the spirit you can get, but that type of movement seems like a perfect fit for PVPing.
The point of the build is to Stun-Lock the opponent. Dashing Strike roots them in place for you to close the gap and initiate the stun. So the teleport isn't necessary.
Also, thanks for linking that generator attack speed thread, that should really get stickied. Especially if he decides to update it after release.
No idea if he's going to update it but I post it in the OP of all my Monk threads because I find my self always looking for it.
03/06/2012 08:00 AMPosted by Warx
Near death experience, for me its only useful in HC mode and it's 90 sec cooldown, way too long for pvp.
I just remembered that they took out the Last Man Standing and put in a Team Deathmatch point system, I think. If anyone has info about what pvp is like now, let me know please. If LMS is an option still then NDE fits just fine. If it's not then it will be replaced with Transcendence.
03/06/2012 09:03 AMPosted by Archangel
Meekle i would change out chant for Trans for free heals.
That 2 spirit per second makes a pretty big difference. It takes out 3-4 Lashing Tail kicks from the set which is 1200%+ damage. I agree Transcendence should make its way into the build, but only if Last Man Standing is no longer an option. And I would replace NDE if that's the case.
you shuold be able to build enough spirit by attacking the enemy unless your goign for a LOS strat of running away to fill your spirit then come back at them in full force.
This might be the case. I have no idea if someone can die from 5680% dual-wielding weapon damage. After unleashing on them, I may have to do a hit and run strategy and hog the Globes.
I also like MoC with Dishearten.
I agree but that's only important if it's not 1v1 (which is most likely the case). If it's 2v2 or more then the teammate can be the one to go that route. Maybe a supplemental Monk build to this should be created? Moderate to heavy damage with some good crowd control/heals. More things to think about.

Speaking of pvp teams....
03/06/2012 08:07 AMPosted by Candle
I have so much to say :( . Unfortunately the game is going to be so highly competitive because it really involves $$ , this really discourages teaching / helping / sharing :( and rewards keeping the best intel. / synergies for yourself(?) :(
You shouldn't keep this info to just yourself but... Maybe your fellow pvp partner on US West ;P
Edited by Meekle on 3/7/2012 2:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
03/06/2012 08:05 PMPosted by Meekle
US West ;P
:( I will be on east (east coast)
Reply Quote
I would remove Mystic Ally and replace it with Blinding Flash[Faith in the light]. This way you don't have to rely on 2% chance of getting 100 spirit, but when in danger / health globes pop, you can CC them and pick up globes.

You can also CC at the end of a rotation(no more spirit for lashing), and start spamming Fist of Thunder, which now does 30% more dmg because of Blinding Flash rune.

More CC = more win imo ;)
Reply Quote
CC in arena pvp was huge. Anything to interupt your enemy. Thats why i like your stun build.

I will be on US West so if you want to roll 2 monks then i am game.
Reply Quote
03/07/2012 04:47 AMPosted by D3BETA
I would remove Mystic Ally and replace it with Blinding Flash[Faith in the light].
I don't think blind is going to work all too well with players.
This way you don't have to rely on 2% chance of getting 100 spirit,
The 2% chance had no impact on me picking this skill. It's just a set it and forget it damage dealer with a nice bonus.
but when in danger / health globes pop, you can CC them and pick up globes.
I like this. Time to think! Mystic Ally is potentially on the chopping block for now. There's Breath of Heaven with a 1.5 sec fear rune and there's Water ally which a 30% slow for 2 seconds. Do any of you think these are worth changing Air Ally for?
03/07/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Archangel
I will be on US West so if you want to roll 2 monks then i am game.
If you ever pop on starcraft I can send you my Real ID.
Reply Quote
03/07/2012 09:11 PMPosted by Meekle
If you ever pop on starcraft I can send you my Real ID.

Will do. My account has a SC2 tied to it. I'll have to find you tonight. Off work @ 4:00pm PST home around 4:20 (<.<) (>.>) (^-^)b
Reply Quote
This is my current build idea for PvP: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bZgcXj!cYa!cZbcbc

The basic idea is that each move is done to control your target, buff your or debuff your target.

So the basic setup is Mantra of Conviction/submission + Resolve. With this combo if your target is anywhere near you, they take 12% weapon damage and deal 25% less damage at all times. I thought this was a nifty combo.

I chose deadly reach because I figure having some range helps the monk out and with foresight you get a good buff to your damage that stacks with Mantra of Conviction. So at most times you will have a +30% buff to damage (assuming things are additive).

Dashing strike/flying side kick is for closing and stunning targets.

For DPS I went with Hand of Ytar and Seven-Sided strike. SSS with pandemonium gives a decent chance to control your target, with 20% per hit for a 7s CC with 7 total strikes pretty much means you will CC your target if you are only hitting them. Plus SSS breaks up their attacks and makes you invulnerable for ~2seconds. Hand of Ytar drastically slows your target and lets you attack at range and gives you the ability to close again.

I was debating between serenity and breath of heaven. I decided BoH because of the shorter cool down. But Serenity with Peaceful Repose or Instant Karma are good to switch out. BoH also heals your team members too.

Passives I decided to drop Near death for Chant of resonance because I wanted the spirit regen. However, if gear ends up giving enough regen I would switch near death back in. Transcendence is solid because of the large number of spirit spenders you have. So lots more healing.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]