Diablo® III

Companion and Reforging Scrolls Removed

im kinda pissed they removed the scrolls i was so happy that we finally have auto gold pick up and didn't have to waste time picking !@#$ up or walking out of the way just because you needed money to repair an item or expand your stash.

apparently im one of the few that feels this way so i hope the rest of you realize how annoying it is when this game gets released.
Reply Quote
Nooo! Hopefully companions will be back for the expansion? In some kind of collectable tome-form? I miss my pig so much.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
you cant be serious! companion scrolls were the best thing in the world, no more having to run over the gold to pick it up theyll grab it all for you, wtf how could you take that away? that was one of the best features of the game! and then the cube, and the cauldron! are you guys just trying to literally GUT every frikken good feature you brought to the game to make it cool and exciting?!?! this is very bad news, very bad news indeed. better bring them back at some point or imma be very upset.
Edited by Kangaxx on 1/26/2012 12:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
when i was at school, the post poped on the forums i wish i would have grabbed my key code so i could have commented first. Been waiting 4 years for this game. Really hoping and wanting beta. Played all blizzards games. Im getting really bored with wow so i hope i can get a beta key soon. I would love to test out and see how game play is. Cant wait till i can play the real game though.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
downloading beta again, thanks
Reply Quote
:-( But... I liked watching a hyper-zoomie-piggy pick up piles of gold.

[Edit] Also, wouldn't imposing some sort of taxation rate for using the companions (e.g. the companions only return 90% of the gold they pick up to you) balance out the pressure to view the companions as "mandatory?" If that were the case players who did not use them might be able to accumulate more gold per area, but they would need to take the time to pick up the piles themselves.

Though I would miss the bunny and piggy, I could see how ditching the cutesy animals and only keeping the darker and grittier animals (snakes, beetles, bats, rats, etc.) for companions would fit into Sanctuary better.

How about using them in a woodland creature secret level. Deadly piglets and rabbits?
Reply Quote
01/26/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Kangaxx
you cant be serious! companion scrolls were the best thing in the world, no more having to run over the gold to pick it up theyll grab it all for you, wtf how could you take that away? that was one of the best features of the game! and then the cube, and the cauldron! are you guys just trying to literally GUT every frikken good feature you brought to the game to make it cool and exciting?!?! this is very bad news, very bad news indeed. better bring them back at some point or imma be very upset.

Waaaaaahhhh!
Reply Quote
When weighing these systems against releasing the game, we decided to cut these scrolls and stay on track for the game’s release.

And with this one sentence, Nethaera saved the forums from almost certain crying and whining, to a place of smiles and joy.

Well done :D
Reply Quote
Thank God.
Reply Quote
Cool, minor game systems being removed because they don't quite fit right in favour of the game being released sooner rather than later.

I can dig this.
Edited by Gorgazm on 1/26/2012 1:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Appreciate the post and this direction by Blizzard, thanks.
Reply Quote
A few more changes have made their way in to Diablo III beta patch 10, including the removal of Scrolls of Companion and Scrolls of Reforging, and we’ll be updating the patch notes to reflect that.

In both cases these are features we felt were underdeveloped and just not quite good enough for the game in their current state. The companion pets felt like they were mandatory to maximize play efficiency and some of the pets were too cutesy for the gritty, dark world of Sanctuary. Neither of those are issues we felt like we could solve without a lot of additional work, and we’re trying to close in on a solid release date for the game, not move further away. When weighing these systems against releasing the game, we decided to cut these scrolls and stay on track for the game’s release.

We think we can make companion pets into a much cooler system (both mechanically and visually), and evolve the reforging scrolls into a more meaningful system at some point in the future. For the time being, they will not be in the initial release of the game.

Great Changes! I HATED the gold collecting companions.
Reply Quote
Release date for
Diablo 3
WOW Mist of Pandaria
SC2 HOTS

April 1 2012

With the cut of Act 4 and the Monk
Edited by Bashiok on 1/26/2012 2:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think removal of scrolls is a nice change. I was wondering where they went. I've noticed I feel less enticed to rush through dungeons now that I have to pick gold up myself. It's a little slower, and more methodical, which I like. I do hope to see companion pets return in some fashion though, whether they be for utility or aesthetic purposes only.
Reply Quote
...and Scrolls of Reforging...

...Huh? Do they mean Pages of Training? Or is Scroll of Reforging an item I somehow missed despite my obsessive amount of beta play time?
Reply Quote
For me this is a very good news. This torchlight-like feature was not fitting in the Diablo universe in its current state at all. I do agree that it might have felt good to not walk over gold, but at least you don't have to click on it anymore in D3 so its not a big deal.

Though having stupid looking companion was horrible. So for the first time in a while... good job Blizz!
Reply Quote
Bring back the Scrolls of Identify! What's the point of having an unidentified item if your character can automatically identify it? It's just needless clicking. At least with the scrolls there was a reason. For me, having an unidentified item for a while until you finally found a scroll (at least early on in the game) just made it that much more rewarding when you finally found one.
Reply Quote
Scroll of Companion = Hell bovine... why has this not happened yet?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]