Diablo® III

Vault Questions, Request for Info

Hello,

I had a few questions regarding the Vault skill for anyone that has played D3 Beta or if you might know otherwise, please reply.

1. When you use Vault, must you have line of sight to your destination? Can you vault around corner? Can you vault into an unexplored room even when the door is shut?

2. Can you vault over a hole? Like a Barbarian would leap over a fallen bridge?

3. How far is 35 yards in-game? Is it like half a screen away?

4. How far is 55 yards in-game? Is that a full screen away?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Reply Quote
Hey there Purevil,

1. You must have a physical line of sight. You can't vault around a corner, you always vault in a straight line. You can vault into an unxeplored region, but can't vault through doors.

2. You can't vault over holes, or any other obstacle. The skil will trigger, but the vault willl stop the moment you collide with the obstacle.

3. It will get you right next to the limit of the screen.

4. It will get you beyond the limits of the screen.

Glad I could help :D
Reply Quote
Thanks calavera666!

One last question, the Indigo runestone for Vault states:
Acrobatics - Increases your Vault distance to 55 yards.

So Vault normally allows you to tumble acrobatically 35 yards. If 35 yards is the limit of the screen, how would you select the distance of 55 yards? Would and could you just use the radar window to move 55 yards? Is 35 yards optimal?

I'm guessing if 35 yards "will get you right next to the limit of the screen", then maybe I should go with the Obsidian runestone instead, what do you think?
Action Shot - As you travel, shoot arrows for 78% weapon damage at nearby targets.

Thanks again!
Reply Quote
Players or monsters are not considered "obstacles" when using vault.

And yes, you do not choose the point of destination, it always makes a full 35/55 yards.
You can only choose the direction of the vault with you mouse cursor.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
For these reasons mentioned, Smokescreen is usually much better of a choice then Vault, it gives you more control of where you go, and you have options that allow you to get at least as much distance as base vault.

Be aware that the distance of things in D3 is really skewed. 4 yards for some skills is really much smaller than it should be, and if vault really does put you at the edge of the screen it is not in the same scale as small distances given for other skills. This isn't particularly important for this question but it's important to keep in mind that you can't use the distance of vault to determine the range of other abilities.
Reply Quote
For these reasons mentioned, Smokescreen is usually much better of a choice then Vault, it gives you more control of where you go, and you have options that allow you to get at least as much distance as base vault.

Be aware that the distance of things in D3 is really skewed. 4 yards for some skills is really much smaller than it should be, and if vault really does put you at the edge of the screen it is not in the same scale as small distances given for other skills. This isn't particularly important for this question but it's important to keep in mind that you can't use the distance of vault to determine the range of other abilities.

So Smoke Screen costs 15 Discipline and lasts for 2 seconds.
Vault costs 10 Discipline and moves you 35 yards in the direction that you choose.

When you use Vault, you can go through other players and mobs.
When you use Smoke Screen, can you still walk through mobs?

For me, I need a really good escape plan during extreme predicaments. Two scenarios that I've heard players get into and die from would be:

1. The player goes down a narrow passage which happens to be a dead end and dies from the countless mobs following them.

2. The player is surrounded by mobs in all directions and dies.

If Smoke Screen was used, I'm not sure if the mobs would block any possible escape path and 2 seconds doesn't sound very long. Even with some of the Runestones, 3.25 seconds may not be long enough in some unique situations.

While with Vault, you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to get out of either of those 2 fatal scenarios which is the main reason I'll probably use Vault. Otherwise, I'll just continue doing my snares, DD, and AoE damage.

Oh, and the way I like to think about mobs is pretend we're in Inferno and these scenarios happen. Which skills would hold up the best. I usually plan my characters for end game.

Thoughts?
Edited by Purevil on 1/28/2012 6:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Your only real point was it not allowing you to run through stuff, and even then it's not confirmed that you can't, at least not in this thread, but I'll concede it as a point without further information.

The best counter to that though, is don't be a baddie, why are you running down a path with monsters still following you, you should be kiting them in a direction you've already been because that way will not have more mobs, what if that direction you chose wasn't a dead end but instead had more monsters in it, now your surrounded. Getting trapped in a dead end is bad play, not a reason to choose one skill over another. 2 seconds is a long time, and there are multiple ways you can increase how far away you get, but I'm betting that even without increases to run speed you can get 35 yards away in that two seconds.

For number 2 see above, getting surrounded is bad game play, not a reason to call a skill bad. If your getting into either of these situations in inferno you're likely to be dying anyway, and also not likely to be getting to inferno in the first place.

Vault will probably be better in out door areas, but Smoke screen will be better all around. The only rune choice that's good for vault is crimson, but if crimson smoke screen gets off only 2 ticks it's even better, and since they can't see you for two seconds you'll get at least two ticks out of it, likely even three, so in all cases smoke screen has better choices for runestones as well. 55 yards for vault does come close, but looses all it's value once your inside, as we're really unlikely to see an interior area of the game where you can vault for 55 yards.

Reply Quote
I use vault in my main build and have found it extremely useful/fun. The only real issues are when you get stuck on the corner of an obstacle and are outta discipline, which kinda ruins your escape. I use it a lot to get out of being surrounded or to get past the line of minions and take out the summoner in the back. It's also useful for avoiding incoming hits (like the skeleton kings "blink" style attack).

I have vault or evasive fire in every build I have done in the beta because I love the maneuverability they add. Vault with the tactical advantage passive is also really nice for clearing large distances quickly.
Edited by Corigoth on 2/6/2012 12:38 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]