Diablo® III

Dual Wielding Hand Crossbows Pointless?

When you dual wield hand crossbows your attack time between attacks is not shortened at all and it switches between the two crossbows you are wielding. Firing one crossbow with nothing equipped in offhand will put out more dps than wielding two crossbows (with one being weaker). Why is this? Does this change at higher levels? Obviously your best bet is to wield a 2hand bow if this will remain the case for maximum dps output. I would hope i am missing a piece of the equation here.
Reply Quote
Maybe some slow/dmg alterations will be useful? I honestly have no idea. I noticed that too.
Guess we'll see!
Reply Quote
I'd be interested in any clarification here too.
Reply Quote
Uhm, I don't know where you got that from, but yesterday I got the Beta and been using the Demon Hunter since I'm going to make one on release... At first I have my starter and bad hand-crossbow, which had a very slow attack cycle. One would shoot, then a few seconds later, second one would shoot...

Later I found 2 magical ones and the attack cycle vastly improved, now she shoots them one after another in rapid succession.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Hunter
No, your description is not quite how the dual-crossbows work.

If you have dual equipped, you fire off more shots in the same amount of time - IT DOES alternate, but slightly faster than an single crossbow will shoot. You can see the difference in damage right in the inventory attributes sidebar - my experience so far is that dual crossbows will up your DPS by about 20%. This, of course, can be offset by having a good quiver in your off hand, thus raising the DPS of a single crossbow.

To make it a bit clearer, if you are shooting a single crossbow every .5 seconds, you will have dual wield shots every .45 seconds - its the equivalent of having a haste rating buff, at least that is how I view it.
Edited by Rytek on 2/2/2012 7:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
95 Tauren Druid
dual wielding H-xbows creates a 15% (multiplicative) IAS buff derived off your primary attack speed weapon.

though you alternate with something like Guided_Arrow (hungering arrow) you fire BOTH (at the 15% increase) when doing something like Bola shot.

in the case of alternating fire such as G_A, you do not want to use a h-xbow that is (.85/1.15)* e.i. < 74% weaker than the other ....as it will net a sustained DPS loss

1.15 + 1.15(x) > 2.00
solve for x

02/02/2012 07:56 AMPosted by Rytek
every .5 seconds, you will have dual wield shots every .45 seconds

.5 = 2 aps
15% buff means 2.3 aps

aka**
.5 / 1.15 = .434 seconds
but please don't use sec speed (WoW) terminology ,uou should use attack_per_second notation, as that is Diablo3 terminology
Edited by Korba on 2/2/2012 10:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Hunter
@Korba you are the man! Question - where do you find that there is a 15% increase in attack speed? Is that data mined or something from an old tool tip? Will be sure to leave the WoW speak in the WoW forums, thanks!
Reply Quote
I bet if there is something to do with attack speed or any kind of HP leach of some kind but i have no idea if those items properties will exist, i can only hope. I cant wait for this game, this is what im going to make first i think.
Reply Quote
@Korba Thank you for clearing this up, I was dual wielding and using the Guided Arrow ability. I guess if you're going to be dual wielding you are going to have to use a different ability setup too. I guess that can be kinda interesting.
Reply Quote
95 Tauren Druid
you just test using deduction+math

equip 2 one-hand cross bows, and checking the change in "attack per second" on your character screen

you'll notice that if you have a 1.4, adding another 1.4 will create 1.4*1.15 = 1.61aps
and testing further, a two 1.6's will create 1.84aps

you will always see a 15% effective increase (at least in patch 9, i haven't played the new patch yet)

just make sure you account for IAS on weapons if present if you attempt to do the math
Edited by Korba on 2/2/2012 3:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
plus all of the affixes on the second hand bow
Reply Quote
now rapid fire with double cross for the 5% crit or one crossbow for the extra 100% crt dmg...
take your pick... either seems like gg for your targets.... my current pvp build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#XeZQcU!hdV!acYabc

change what you wish and or perceive better in your eye's... keep in mind i don't have beta :/
Reply Quote
now rapid fire with double cross for the 5% crit or one crossbow for the extra 100% crt dmg...
take your pick... either seems like gg for your targets.... my current pvp build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#XeZQcU!hdV!acYabc

change what you wish and or perceive better in your eye's... keep in mind i don't have beta :/

Everything looks good except for bola shot and fundamentals, rapid fire and fundamentals don't mix.
Reply Quote
Thanks for this information. Have you guys yet determined if any one setup (h-xbow x2, h-xbow + quiver, 2h-xbow) is generally going to be superior, all else equal?
Reply Quote
is discipline generation not that big of a deal? and i may change fundamentals...
Reply Quote
02/03/2012 04:06 AMPosted by D3BETA
Thanks for this information. Have you guys yet determined if any one setup (h-xbow x2, h-xbow + quiver, 2h-xbow) is generally going to be superior, all else equal?

well all things equal is abit loaded.

assuming the dps between a shielded DH is balanced vs survival against a pure DPS dual wield, i'll PVE dual wielding,
possibly pvp with a shield vs melee.

but seriously there is no way to know until we can see the end-game gear and final skills etc. I mean the game just changed its entire stat system, way too early to tell
Reply Quote
95 Tauren Druid
oddities when dual wielding!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4015201923#2
penalties and bonuses are crossing onto the other hand!

cool info
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
pointless if you're talking about burst, but for dps it's not. faster attacks make for faster hatred generation, which makes for more hatred ability usage, which makes for greater dps.

the huge crossbow would be good for abilities with weapon damage, but the hatred regeneration wouldn't come back as fast.

because the class has a slow discipline regeneration, it means that a demon hunter would be best played with the following quote: "Sometimes the best defense, is a good offense."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]