Diablo® III

D3 still needs quite a bit more work

I just got into Beta with the huge wave. After playing through the entire Beta a bunch of times and leveling almost 4 characters to max level, I can honestly say the game looks really good, but definitely needs more work. To put it in a different way, I am a programmer and a UI designer for 15 years, if D3 were my product, I would not release it like this.

For example:
- D3 launcher crashes on initial load on at least two common system setups, one of which being D3's "recommended system configuration"
- Certain journals won't start reading like the others. I'm not talking about lores, but journals. The difference is journals start reading as soon as you pick them up, because they add to the storyline; whereas lores don't for both
- Event completion dialogue boxes don't have their icons displayed; rather, the icon area is black
- The tool tips for at least hero details are either incomplete or flat out missing
- The party event start dialogue is rough on the edges. A player can easily click on Decline by accident if they just happen to be clicking in that area. An additional confirmation screen for Decline is very much needed
- There are a few clipping problems and invisible walls

I can go on and list all of them, but most of you would write TL/DR anyway. As I have said at the beginning, I am very impressed by the level of polish D3 already has, but I cannot see it as all that close to a final product. Sure, Blizzard can be like Dice or Bethesda, and apply the same low standard for quality those companies used for Battlefield 3 and Skyrim. But would YOU be happy when the game you have been waiting for for so long can't even guide you through the storyline without misbehaving? I know I wouldn't.

Give Blizzard some more time, guys. This game is not ready. But when it is, it'll be EPIC!
Reply Quote
I can go on and list all of them, but most of you would write TL/DR anyway.

You should, just don't post them in general discussion.
Reply Quote
Argument based off of the Beta build...

Therefore wrong.

Not saying the game is right around the corner, though. ;-)
Edited by Giraffasaur on 2/2/2012 12:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/02/2012 12:40 PMPosted by D3BETA
I never ran into ANY of the issues that you posted. You're doing it wrong.

yeah... you're doing it wrong
Reply Quote
If the beta code is completely different from the release code, then testing beta would be completely pointless. I am not sure you understand how trunk and branches work in software development.

Sure, beta is probably not 100% identical to their internal test version. But if the new beta still contains such a large amount of bugs, i would say the internal branch probably also doesn't fall too far from the tree.

As for the guy who said I am doing it wrong. May I ask if English is your first language? Or perhaps you have a documented difficulty in comprehension? Just because you haven't encountered or noticed those problems, it does not mean the problems don't exist. If a piece of software that works on one computer is guaranteed to work on all computers, then there is no need for system profiling. I don't believe I said anywhere in the OP that the problems are universal. So, your point is moot. Also, your assumption that just because you never had problems necessarily mean I have done something wrong to cause it is simply not logical.
Reply Quote
If Blizzard's most up to date build is anything like you describe I would never want Diablo 3 to be released. After 4 Known years of production if this crap will still going on Blizzard wouldn't be worthy to release the game nor would the game ever be worth continuing.

But its a good thing our beta is light years behind the up to date version.
Reply Quote
Umm.... Blizzard isn't releasing it like this we don't have anywhere close to an official release date yet.
Reply Quote
There's a forum SPECIFICALLY made for your bug rants, Soda.

GO USE IT.
Reply Quote
This your first beta OP? It's always a different code on launch than beta.

This game is just a few tweaks from being ready IMHO.

I had none of the issues you had, it ran flawless on the two machines I installed it on. One being uber, the other my wife's work laptop.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Warrior
02/02/2012 12:59 PMPosted by D3BETA
If the beta code is completely different from the release code, then testing beta would be completely pointless.

Actually this beta is to test certain functions like how there servers will react to high amounts of traffic (thus the large amount of people allowed into beta) but i totally agree with you, this is not a finished product and they have some work to do, but i highly doubt that the builds blizzard is using and our beta build are even in the same ballpark. They basically changed the things jay said they were going to change and applied it to the rest of the game, our beta build is probably the same as the old beta build but with the new features implimented, whereas Blizzards builds have most of the bugs listed above fixed.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Warrior
02/02/2012 02:36 PMPosted by theeighthark

You should, just don't post them in general discussion.

"beta bug report forum"
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3355035/

Use it and not here.

I don't think he was here to report bugs, i think he was giving examples of how the game is not ready, like the title says.
Reply Quote
i haven't ran in to any of these issues either. but occasionally i am getting some crazy freeze-ups. even though my comp is way over the requirements. but they already said they are working on that issue. other than that. i think the game is perfect.
Reply Quote

For example:
- D3 launcher crashes on initial load on at least two common system setups, one of which being D3's "recommended system configuration"
- Certain journals won't start reading like the others. I'm not talking about lores, but journals. The difference is journals start reading as soon as you pick them up, because they add to the storyline; whereas lores don't for both
- Event completion dialogue boxes don't have their icons displayed; rather, the icon area is black
- The tool tips for at least hero details are either incomplete or flat out missing
- The party event start dialogue is rough on the edges. A player can easily click on Decline by accident if they just happen to be clicking in that area. An additional confirmation screen for Decline is very much needed
- There are a few clipping problems and invisible walls

I read and thought about each of these points and I did not experience one of these. Perhaps I just didn't notice, but that could be I was enjoying the game too much? No, I think I would have noticed one thing you're seeing. Maybe post your computer specs? But not here, you should put it in the beta feedback as well as this thread.
Reply Quote
"If you didn’t receive an invite, never fear! We’re going to continue to give away beta invites, so be on the lookout for promotions, contests, and giveaways on our properties as well as at your favorite fansites. We’ll have more information about these global giveaways as well as regional betas in the coming weeks."

^This weeks and weeks away
Reply Quote
Guys, I'm not here to report bugs or to complain about the build. I'm here to voice my opinion that the game is probably not as close to being released as many of you think. I simply listed the bugs I have encountered as support. I know there's a beta feedback forum, but that's not my purpose with this post.

As for those that state the beta is for stress testing only, I would have to disagree. If server load is the only thing that's being tested, Blizzard would not update the beta at all with feature changes. Things like removing the scrolls and caldron probably won't alter server calls that much. Things like how stats are being displayed DEFINITELY won't affect server load. If they are concerned about people losing interest in play testing the beta, just send out more invites.

While I think stress testing is definitely part of this beta's purpose, I don't think it's the ONLY purpose. The beta is definitely not as up-to-date as their internal version, but none of us know how far apart the two are. I would venture to say that the beta is relatively close given the betas I have been in before, as well as the betas my company releases into the public realm. I could be wrong, of course, and I recognize that. I'm simply making an assumption that appears to be probable based on my experience.

If you are convinced that the beta is totally different from the internal version, let me try to explain this in a different way. Software development usually split the code base into two general categories: trunk and branches. The trunk is the main development code base. This is what the developers work off of towards release. Branches are specialized versions of the trunk. They are used for many purposes, e.g., testing a new feature to see if it should be included in the trunk, releasing as a beta for internal and external testers, or packaging for a conference demo (like Blizzcon). Unless it's to test a special new feature for feasibility purposes, branches generally don't enjoy their own extensive path of development. I seriously doubt Blizzard would allocate valuable manpower just to create a totally separate branch for the beta. What's more likely, in my opinion, is the beta lies close to the trunk and gets updated with the most recent stable build from the trunk. The beta is different from the trunk, on the other hand, because it contains some custom code, whether to restrict the end of the game to SK or to point to a beta server. In other words, other than necessary code changes, Blizzard would not intentionally code up something totally different and buggy just for releasing a beta. Sure, the most recent stable build might be a few weeks behind the most recent nightly build, but it shouldn't be night and day between the two.

I also never said the beta will be the same as the release. Software development cycle has many stages, e.g., alpha, beta, RC, release, etc. Of course the release will not be like this beta. However, the release will be an improved derivative of this beta. Seeing the number and types of bugs in the latest beta, I think we have some time before the actual release.

All in all, I am highly impressed with the quality of the beta and will continue to play it for a long time. I just hope my opinion can convince some of you that "Blizzard, just release the damn game as it is now!!! It is DONE!!!" is probably not very correct or even desirable.

3. 2011 MacBook Pro (Core i7) / Radeon 6750 / 8 GB RAM / Snow Leopard

I have had the same problem with the launcher on systems 1 and 2. Other bugs I have seen are shared between all 3. Note that the bugs are not consistent, i.e., they don't show up predictably.
Reply Quote
Keep in mind, whatever build we are playing is gonna be a good ways behind whatever they are testing internally.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]