Diablo® III

Opinions from a Hardcore D2 Player

Partial agree, partial disagree.

On the one hand, yes, I feel 60 is way too low and feels more MMO-like than Diablo-like. Leveling was nice in D2 because most ordinary people never hit a real level cap and you always felt there was at least somewhere to progress upwardly.

On the other hand, actually attempting to reach that level cap was not really fun or dynamic in any sense of the term. Grinding to 99 in D2 essentially meant doing Baal billions of times over and over again and nothing else.

I'd like to see a higher cap, but if they don't have interesting content to do there, then they might as well not bother. Diablo 2's fresh content ran out at around 80-85, everything after that was just grinding the same bosses a zillion times in a row for exp.
Reply Quote
29 Human Warrior
So you are basically saying make D3 just like D2 with a different story and different graphics. Sorry I want an update to the Diablo series. You might of loved doing nothing but Baal runes till you did ubers. Then doing ubers till level cap, sorry doing one part of the game till you feel like pulling your hair out, due to the boredom. Basically all of the things that you want to change is what makes this game better than D2. So I will have to say a big no.

You have no idea what your talking about, do you...

So I have no idea of what I am talking about huh. Okay then tell me truthfully that Baal runs did not exist in D2. Tell me just how easy it was to make it to level 99. Most players stopped playing after about level 80 because they have already beaten the game on hell. Why have a game where it will take you forever to make it to max level because you have no even level monsters to fight. What would you try the new hell at level 50. Knowing you would be fighting monsters that are 11 levels above you and are much tougher than you can think about. Just think of how long it will take to be able to farm in that game.

It will take forever just to make it to max level just in order to be able to farm for gear. No thank you. Show me where it was really easy to make it to level 99 when the LOD expansion came out without doing a ton of Baal runs.

With players that can out level the monsters in nightmare, but still not be able to handle hell in the OP's suggestion would mean that they would be a faceroll until someone eventually made it to level cap. Then started trying hell and get instantly owned because they went from faceroll difficulty to insanely hard. I think that farming for the gear needed to survive inferno will take enough time to get IMO.

8 to 16 players just as a meeting room. For social and PvP purposes, which might mean give us ganking back. We love going against players that do not have the same great gear and level we do. I know that the arena will have a matching system. That will be based on a hidden rank and gear will be matched as well. So in the arena it will mean that you will have to have some skill in PvP in order to win. Also Diablo was never really about being sociable, IMO it was always about slaughtering hells minions and collecting the phat loot. That suggestion is a way of still having an eight player game. Sorry I have to say no to that as well. It does not fit the diablo series IMO.
Edited by Johadiandunn on 2/4/2012 3:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 03:37 AMPosted by Johadiandunn

You have no idea what your talking about, do you...

So I have no idea of what I am talking about huh. Okay then tell me truthfully that Baal runs did not exist in D2. Tell me just how easy it was to make it to level 99. Most players stopped playing after about level 80 because they have already beaten the game on hell. Why have a game where it will take you forever to make it to max level because you have no even level monsters to fight. What would you try the new hell at level 50. Knowing you would be fighting monsters that are 11 levels above you and are much tougher than you can think about. Just think of how long it will take to be able to farm in that game.

It will take forever just to make it to max level just in order to be able to farm for gear. No thank you. Show me where it was really easy to make it to level 99 when the LOD expansion came out without doing a ton of Baal runs.

With players that can out level the monsters in nightmare, but still not be able to handle hell in the OP's suggestion would mean that they would be a faceroll until someone eventually made it to level cap. Then started trying hell and get instantly owned because they went from faceroll difficulty to insanely hard. I think that farming for the gear needed to survive inferno will take enough time to get IMO.

8 to 16 players just as a meeting room. For social and PvP purposes, which might mean give us ganking back. We love going against players that do not have the same great gear and level we do. I know that the arena will have a matching system. That will be based on a hidden rank and gear will be matched as well. So in the arena it will mean that you will have to have some skill in PvP in order to win. Also Diablo was never really about being sociable, IMO it was always about slaughtering hells minions and collecting the phat loot. That suggestion is a way of still having an eight player game. Sorry I have to say no to that as well. It does not fit the diablo series IMO.

He was going to bring up PvP, but that's a terrible argument as almost the entirety of the D2 playerbase was about item hunting and grinding to 99. PvP was an EXTREMELY SMALL portion of the community.
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 07:03 AMPosted by KrazyTrumpet
PvP was an EXTREMELY SMALL portion of the community.

Rather silly assumption. Many people did the item hunting to have the best possible items for their pvp characters. I don't mean to say that it was a huge part of the game. But it was a fun deviation from the grinding and a chance to put their shinny new weapons and the builds to the test against other players, which I'm suret a large portion if not all did on occasion.
Edited by Locdog on 2/4/2012 7:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
Would you play D3 if there is a max level of 1 million? Would you still try to be the first to reach that level? Would you invest the time?
Reply Quote
PVP was never the primary draw to Diablo for anyone but a very small minority. And of those, most of those weren't even interested in real PVP, they just wanted to PK.
Reply Quote
I think what made D2 good was you could play it in a variety of ways. You want to level 99 in Hardcore? Sure. You want to run around and try to gank people? Sure. You want to just get items for the sake of items? Sure. You want to mess around for 30 minutes with your ITH equipment? Sure.

You could play it in so many different ways, D3 on the other hand seems very constricted.

I agree with the OP on everything except single player, I was one of those who enjoyed hacking stuff out in single player. I even missed the hacking wars that took place in Diablo 1, where there was one hacked character pking and you would try to be more OP than him. Maybe just too much nostalgia, but that was one of the funnest parts of Diablo 1 for me. And muling in Diablo 2 was fun too, you had to hide your equipment in a corner of the map so that no one could get to it. Via this you could have have tons of inventory space. Thinking back, maybe Blizzard was just lucky with Diablo 2, like most of what made the game fun and gave it longevity was accidental. It was something new at the time and gave a gaming experience you couldn't get anywhere else.

D3 on the other hand, yeah it plays well but so what? I've played so many other games like it. The only thing that interests me really is the story, and I want to see my bro Tyrael again. He's so awesome. :3
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Hunter
Does anyone else find it funny that this person believes they made an impression on anyone else as a talented "Hardcore" player? I have never heard of LazyNcrazy, and I can tell you there are plenty of better people considering you never even hit 99. PEACE.
Reply Quote
When i read that i laughed a little.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]