Diablo® III

Why would anyone use 2 handers?

I was playing my monk yesterday and found that the spirit generation from 1 handers was insane compared to spirit with 2 handers.

I suppose that 2 handers have higher damage per swing and may be better for spirit spenders, but with similar DPS I felt much more powerful with two 1 handers...
Reply Quote
I noticed that a lot of Bo Staff weapons will tend to have spirit regen in their stats.
But I wholly agree with you---> Fast weapons=more attacks=more spirit.
Even in principle as it does in gameplay, it does feel more powerful.

I don't really have an answer, but I guess some people prefer staff weapons, others like fist weapons :)

Also, depends on people's play style if they like focusing on non-AoE attacks and do the guerilla-warfare style of attacking. Nice to do as much damage as possible in the little time that you're up close, and then just run away. Great for boss fights. You can pretty much focus all your gear/ability/stats on offense, since you play smart and never really tank any damage.
Reply Quote
Theres a passive that gives you 20% spirit generation when you use 2handers.
Reply Quote
i like it when i'm using my crippling wave + that aoe pull, amazing synergy and dmg with a 2hander
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Because your spirit dumps hit like a truck with a slower weapon. Well, a bigger truck.

Doesn't matter if you generate spirit really slowly if you just do it on mooks, and in exchange you get to explode elites whenever you see them.
Reply Quote
I'd have to agree with the original poster. Dual wielding generates a ton of DPS and spirit for blistering speed. I played the whole game with the "spikes" from the journeyman blacksmith and never used a health potion or ability once. you vomit so much power so quickly that it's almost too easy.
Reply Quote
I see myself using a Daibo or one-hander with a shield in Inferno, could change though, actually have to play the full game to see of course.

My reasoning is either i'm going to be supporting my group by tanking or by taking out the stragglers in the no man's land between the tank and casters. The best way to do the tanking would obviously be with a shield, and the best way to get rid of the stragglers or the ranged monsters beating up the squishies is to have max damage potential in a very short period of time or the very least be able to debilitate them so they aren't much of a threat :D

A Daibo would make my offensive abilities "hit like a truck with a slower weapon. Well, a bigger truck." Also I really prefer to use what I seem to be a huge strength in the Monk, mobility, so using guerrilla tactics like Ulrezaj pointed out will be my preferred style.

Sustained DPS is something my friends can worry about, my group will have that covered, I will worry about debilitating and pulling groups towards my tank :D

Sorry for the redundant ramblings, i'm a bit... Don't do drugs kids
Reply Quote
02/02/2012 11:24 PMPosted by D3BETA

now how does dmg work? for your skills... does it take only one of the 1 hander's as the dmg done or add them together?
Reply Quote
02/02/2012 11:54 PMPosted by theshade

now how does dmg work? for your skills... does it take only one of the 1 hander's as the dmg done or add them together?

Thats a good question. I am still trying to figure out how damage per skill cast is calculated.
Reply Quote
I agree, two-handers just seemed brutally slow. Things may change when we see higher end stuff with speed on it however.

Also, two-handers should should pack an extra ability on a blue in my opinion, or make the ones on them double effect.

I went into beta wanting to play a monk with a staff. Still planning on a monk, but no way I'm going with a staff for the time being.
Reply Quote
If you're working on little guys, one handed weapons will generally be faster, but for elites and bosses, we're talking about huge chunks of life. Hit a boss with a full-powered wave of light with a 2h and he's gonna feel it.

It all comes down to itemization...this will be balanced for release, I'm sure.
Reply Quote
I used dual fist weapons for a while, and now I switched to two-handed staff and I'm happy with the switch. My regeneration of spirit might not be as fast, but I feel I need spirit much less with my staff. Just the spirit regenerating attacks are enough to kill pretty much anything insanely quickly. The beauty of the class is you can change weapons based on what you find. If I could find two fist weapons that are the same level as my staff, I would probably go back to dual wielding, but at lvl 10, the crafted staff is the best option.

When they unlock the level limit, I'm sure I'll be alternating between the two as I level up.
Reply Quote
I play with the craftable staff and I hit hard!! I use kick and that aoe spell when i am surronded..

Its way fun, plus it looks cooler that fist weapons IMO
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
02/02/2012 11:54 PMPosted by theshade

One weapon at a time, alternating between attacks.

Wield two weapons with wildly different damage and you'll alternate between high hits and low hits.
Reply Quote
One weapon at a time, alternating between attacks.

Wield two weapons with wildly different damage and you'll alternate between high hits and low hits.

seems logical... so yeah definitely using staff so i have high dmging skills....

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#hXdWRj!YcZ!aacZYZ

now for the aura "submission" i am assuming the dot would only go off of one weapon...if one used fists
btw this is my current pvp build...
Reply Quote

Spirit spenders benefit per spirit used.

Because everything is based on weapon dmg, a 2 hander has a greater potential of dealing more damage for the same spirit used that a one hander would cost. Also with the passive, your generating more spirit per attack.

Also may vary which skills your using. I find deadly reach is Godly with quick attacks, but with 2 handers I switch to more AOE attack to "make it count".
Reply Quote
dual weild feels very fast and fun but i switched back to bostaff because range seems way better. my aoe's seem to go much farther. also im yet to find 2 weaps that match or exceep my bo staff's dps
Reply Quote
First off I posted here originally as Cato and was very against 2 handers. Tested a bit more today and seeing them as viable. The class just seems to play a lot slower with the the ones available in beta.

The Bad:
I crafted several for a new level 8 monk today, the biggest issue on those and the ones I found is the magical stats on them seem to be the same as the stats on one one hander. If your giving up an equipment slot by using a two hander the bonus stats should be equivalent to the two one handers or at least somewhere in between.

So slow, which means you build spirit slower. I would often find myself waiting on spirit for a big finisher, while with the one handers the spirit is almost always there when I wanted it.

The Good

Spirit spenders hit hard. My level 8 monk was getting non crit hits with Cyclone Strike in the 90's. That pretty much kills all the normal mobs straight up. I was killing more mobs than the level 12 and 13's I was running around with, due to this skill alone.

Conclusions
The best staff builds will probalby have some passive spirit regen and stack some extra weapon speed and focus on big hits from Spirit Spenders.

The spirit builders with the exception of Sweeping Wind are probably all better with 2 one handers, but the aura from Sweeping will do a lot more damage with a staff.

The whole feel of the class changes with 2 handers vs the staff at this level. It's like wolverine vs juggernaut. Both are effective, your just going to have to figure out which one is for you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]