Diablo® III

Why would anyone use 2 handers?

85 Dwarf Warrior
If a 2-hander feels like you're the juggernaut, then what's 1-h and shield feel like (because monks can totally use a shield)? Colossus?
Reply Quote
Actually I played with a shield a little bit too, but there is pretty much no reason to use one in beta. Later on I can see it as feasible as part of some armor stacking builds that tank for the group though.

Reply Quote
My 2 hander build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#iekjXV!gdZ!babZcZ

Passives:
increased damage (8%), spirit (50%), and spirit generation (20%)
Actives:
cheaper Wave of Light for heavy (mostly) single target damage
7-sided strike for teleport + AoE
2 spirit generators, single target + AoE with dmg taken debuff (15%)
heal w/ 12% dmg buff
mantra to reflect 70% dmg from melee and ranged

overall 20% dmg buff, 15% debuff and 70% dmg reflection, should be high in dps with decent spirit generation
not a lot in damage mitigation or life leach, more like a "go in guns blazing" type of build with a group heal when needed
Edited by Vixen on 2/6/2012 9:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ickQRj!YUX!ZZZbYa
Mantra of Conviction with indigo constant dmg and Deadly reach with crimson gives a huge dmg buff and so does way of hundreds fists. and then the mystic ally does a lot of dmg to nearby enemies and generates extra spirit. (air ally) with the buffs from the mantra and both spirit generators cause wave of light with crimson to just maul enemies in front of you cause 585% dmg then 450% with extra 80% buff from the other abilities.
and 7 sided strike with burst aoe of holy with mantra doing holy dmg = pain for monsters that aren't immune to holy
Reply Quote
At our current level I haven't found a staff to be comparable at all to the 2 1-handed axes you can use at level 12. they rock about 19.3 dps to 19.5 dps plus getting up to i believe +29 dex each... At the moment I have 2 of them with one being about 26dex and the other 23 dex with +6% atk spd and +7% atk speed. Maybe in the later levels the staff stats/dps will outweigh 2 1-handers but current I think the 1-handers generate way more dps plus the ability to use your spirit attacks more often outweighs the slower generate which equals less spirit attacks per minute.
Reply Quote
02/06/2012 04:04 PMPosted by Fatalty
unless you can find a 2h bo with some wicked sick attack speed they are pretty much useless, your better off to use a 1h weapon and stack attack speed with rings or +2-3 dmg. I have noticed with my monk that 2h's do hit like a mack truck but getting the ammount of spirit needed to deal dmg takes WAYYY TOO LONG. so you are better off using 1h and just delivering multiple strikes in the same time you would 1hit with a 2h bo

I would think this would help:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#!.Z
Reply Quote
In beta 2 1handed axes are the way to go. Each one is basically higher dps than any staff you've probably found. Make a new char and mess around at level 8 with a crafted level 8 staff compared to the other weapons available then and it's a little different. My level 8 was hitting as hard with Cyclone as my level 13 with 2 20+ dex 7% attack speed axes.

Sure it took a little longer to get spirit, but they hit twice as hard once you do. Staff builds will probalby focus around skills and passives to get more spirit while 1hers will get spirit faster but be less effective with it. Neither play style is wrong, and if Blizzard does their job right neither will be any better than the other at release. It will just come down to the playstyle you prefer.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
So, for the people who are asking, the way it works out is this...

1.)If you dual wield 2 1-handers, you alternate between them with a +15% attack speed bomnus for dual wielding. Due to this, if one of your 1-handers is significantly better(i.e. more than 15%) better than the other, it is more efficient to use a 1-hander and a shield. You'll do more damage AND have better defenses. Honestly, this will probably be mandatory in Hell+ difficulty anyway, just because you'll need the extra defensive stats to survive(at least if it's anything like D2 - 3 socket shield w/3 perfect diamonds, any1?)

2.)2 handers hit way harder. More burst, less sustained dps. If they follow the WoW model for these things(I know - every1 hates WoW being brought up here, bear with me plz) the higher end 2 handers will probably end up being 1/2 as fast but hit 2x as hard... or something like that. Similar dps, but when you tag an enemy with a big spirit spender... OUCH!

Anyway, this is what we KNOW about the differences along with a little bit of my personal speculation thrown in. Hope it helps :D
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I was originally using two one handers as well. But, last night I decided to give the crafted Bo Staff a shot. And holy !@#$, do I hit like a truck. It's ridiculous, I feel so much more powerful with a two hander even if I do attack slower. And the spirit regen isn't that big of a deal because your spirit generating attacks basically one shot normal monsters so there's no need to spend as much spirit.
Reply Quote
02/06/2012 09:53 AMPosted by Vixen

Just an FYI this does not include Arrows(Ranged) , Though it should , but for sadly PvP sakes we would wreck Demon Hunters.

I think Mantra of Ret should be changed, but doubtfully will.
Reply Quote
02/09/2012 01:54 PMPosted by D3BETA

Just an FYI this does not include Arrows(Ranged) , Though it should , but for sadly PvP sakes we would wreck Demon Hunters.

I think Mantra of Ret should be changed, but doubtfully will.

Crimson tooltip specifically says "The Mantra will now reflect ranged damage"
Reply Quote
so you dont seem like an assassin from d2
Reply Quote
02/06/2012 04:04 PMPosted by Fatalty
unless you can find a 2h bo with some wicked sick attack speed they are pretty much useless, your better off to use a 1h weapon and stack attack speed with rings or +2-3 dmg. I have noticed with my monk that 2h's do hit like a mack truck but getting the ammount of spirit needed to deal dmg takes WAYYY TOO LONG. so you are better off using 1h and just delivering multiple strikes in the same time you would 1hit with a 2h bo

What are you basing this off? The Beta?
Reply Quote
43 Dwarf Shaman
I just used the crafting and made 2 one handed spikes, both were tailored to monk and felt good in the lore aspect.
Reply Quote
I, like many here tried the fist weapons, then later a good bo staff and liked it. then i crafted myself 2, 1 hand axes with 21 dex on each and i will never look back :) I had the best staff i could craft and i much prefer the 2 axes.
Reply Quote
I've started a thread on a fan site trying to start up more constructive conversations on this topic if anyone is interested

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/34577-what-kind-of-weapon-will-you-use/

2 handed weapons are amazing though, my monk is currently using the 1 handed axe's in beta simply because they are the best in BETA, but I used a Daibo for the longest time, and it still makes my Cyclone strike hit way harder despite the way superior stat bonus's the axe's grant me
Reply Quote
My monk is beta has been playing with a staff simply because the 2H staff I started out with (due to a lucky drop on a previous character) is much higher dps than any 1H weapons I've found so far.

I'm not sure how the dps of two weapons is combined to result in its overall dps, but whenever I try it the number that is displayed is much lower than I expect. Its certainly not adding the dps of the two weapons. It doesn't even look like its averaging them.

I'll try 1H as soon as I don't put a major gimp in my dps number by doing so.
Reply Quote
Going dual 1h seems much better because of the increase in attack speed and the fact that you get double the stats. I'm using two Keen Axes of the Hawk with 20+ Dex on them and no 2handed weapon in the game boosts my DPS as much.

Not enjoying the lack of flavor that comes with using axes on a monk, though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]