Diablo® III

"Tanking"

See alot of ppl posting "tanking" builds here, so I thought I would shed some light on the issue. And open some eyes.

Here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6kYbXb1MAk
pay attention to the first minute or so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31VpcWV2R9E
Skip to 6:00

Reply Quote
What am I looking at here, exactly? What am I looking for? Seems like the Wizzy and WD were doing a pretty good job of staying out of trouble. Are you trying to say taking works? Doesn't work? I don't get your point.
Reply Quote
guess I should have elaborated a little.........anyway

Point is to give ppl with the WoW mindset, a better idea of what combat will be like in diablo.

After watching the carnage in those vids, it should be pretty obvious tanking isnt viable.......isnt it?

Reply Quote
Tanking in an MMO sense? No, though we haven't seen what White Threatening Shout can do.

The monk and barb and zombie dogs seemed to be doing a good job of making a wall between enemies and the wizard and witch doctor, though.

I just want to see more types of monsters -- that's really going to decide it. If mobs are jumping over you, or breaking rank intentionally, or fighting at range or summoning up other mobs... That's what I want to see: smart monsters. That way everyone's in danger, and everyone has to stay on their toes.

Games where tanking works, it's only a matter of time before things turn into a snoozefest. WoW raids got SO boring once you learned the mobs expressly because of tanking. As long as the tank did their job, and priest made sure he didn't die -- there was nothing to worry about. Thankfully, Diablo is nothing like WoW.
Edited by Zagrylfalx on 1/30/2012 8:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah WoW is a snoozefest. Dunno why I keep going back. lol

01/30/2012 08:20 PMPosted by Zagrylfalx
I just want to see more types of monsters -- that's really going to decide it. If mobs are jumping over you, or breaking rank intentionally, or fighting at range or summoning up other mobs... That's what I want to see: smart monsters. That way everyone's in danger, and everyone has to stay on their toes.

Agree with you there. And yes I mean tanking in a traditional mmo sense.
Speaking from experience of playing d2 for years, its pretty safe to assume there will be mobs that do everything u mentioned an end some. Spellcasting, teleporting, increased movement speed....mobs with bows/xbows.....etc.

It will be up to each individual player, regardless of class to keep themselves alive. And not rely on 1 person to keep them safe from taking damage.
Reply Quote
Tanking is probably the wrong word for what you can do in D3. Control builds would probably be more accurate.
Reply Quote
Damage reduction is also effectively tanking in games like this.

The Barbarian has some good tanking abilities. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#gSb!!YYb

That's well over a 70% reduction in enemy damage dealt, easily monk-levels of defensive utility.
Reply Quote
Zombie has it right, I think. If you can't keep monsters near you, it doesn't matter how much you've jacked your defense. Keeping monsters from running around is going to be how you keep your friends safe, and honestly a lot of the squishies have ways of doing that themselves. Temporal Flux adds a slow effect to all Wizard Arcane abilities, DH has Caltrops among other slow skills...
Reply Quote
01/30/2012 11:22 PMPosted by Zombie
Tanking is probably the wrong word for what you can do in D3. Control builds would probably be more accurate.

Yeah definately, control builds would be much more accurate. I like the term meat shield as well. lol

01/31/2012 06:52 AMPosted by Zagrylfalx
Zombie has it right, I think. If you can't keep monsters near you, it doesn't matter how much you've jacked your defense. Keeping monsters from running around is going to be how you keep your friends safe, and honestly a lot of the squishies have ways of doing that themselves.

exactly, this is more or less what ive been getting at. I coud see a pure defensive build having its advantages in some encounters and boss fights. But those are few and far between, 90%+ of the combat will be against regular mobs swarming from every direction. And running all over the place.
I think that making a build with nothing but defense in mind, and little to no damage output, will ultimately just end up slowing ur group down.

Reply Quote
And running all over the place.
I think that making a build with nothing but defense in mind, and little to no damage output, will ultimately just end up slowing ur group down.

That's my thought as well. Likely, pushing only one stat (crit, average damage, armor...) will have diminishing returns in higher difficulties. So a build that hugely pushes defense is going to be inefficient, as you won't often be able to take full advantage of it. Control or DPS builds, though, always have a role to play.

I'm of a mind that you need only as much survivability as to avoid dying. Any more just slows you down.
Reply Quote
01/31/2012 12:57 PMPosted by Zagrylfalx
I'm of a mind that you need only as much survivability as to avoid dying. Any more just slows you down.

Fortunately for Barbs, Str increases both dmg and survivability
Reply Quote
01/31/2012 04:26 PMPosted by Zombie

and demon hunters
and monks
Reply Quote
I thought the point of a Diablo tank was to round up enemies so that the rest of the team could burn them down with AoE, making for more efficient killing. So a good Diablo tank would be fast for gathering mobs, able to break crowd control effects, and be able to soak up a ton of damage while the mobs move into a tight group. With this idea of tanking there are a lot of viable builds among the classes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
The sense of "Tanking" doesn't start till I would say Nightmare and Inferno difficulties.

The normal and hell will be rather simple I think, destroy stuff with almost no effort. When Nightmare and Inferno come rolling around thing will take a lot longer to kill, in turn being the target for most enemies while your other members can kill them. Would like trash tanking in wow, but not generally wow.

The way I see it, a Barb runs in, keeps the mobs bottle necked at a door, not letting them through while the ranged just blow them up. That's the type of "tanking" we will be seeing most.
Reply Quote
01/31/2012 07:28 PMPosted by Rabbit

and demon hunters
and monks

and wizards
and witch doctors

this is fun!
Reply Quote
I see alot of you don't think tanking is possible in D3. While yes, there may not be the standard sense of 'Aggro' I do still believe most mobs will hit whoever is closest too them. This is where the barbarian with all their defensive skills come in.

Barbarians have very very many utility spells to control the flow of mobs and to in fact taunt them. Besides the massive amounts of slowing abilities from runes and spell effects there is 2 significant AoE stuns via stomp and leap. The afore mentioned stomp can also be glyphed to drag mobs in to the barbarian. Spear pulls 1+ targets to him as well.

In my opinion the Barbarian can very capably be called a tank. Group utility, massive defensive capabilities and mob control. All the call signs of a tank.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
I'm still not convinced on the concept of a tank in D3 one way or the other. Control is important, but can a barb spec for more control than can be brought by the rest of the group?

If you have a "tank" barb, can you then have 3 pure damage characters, and if so does this become more beneficial than 4 balanced damage with some control specs?

I think its too soon to tell.
Reply Quote
I'm not sure how effective 'tanking' will be either.
On the other hand we don't know if the monk and barb were trying to tank, it looked like they were playing in normal when there wouldn't really be a need to tank, and those videos were almost 3 years old. The barb still had a mana bubble for crying out loud.
Reply Quote
From the moment groups of people enter inferno its very easy to speculate that you will see tons and tons of people with builds for survival over raw damage. Especially barbs. That isnt to say that another build wont work, but a barb tank similar to this http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bYRVkg!bVe!cZZacY build, paired with a 50% healing monk, and paired with 2 mostly single target and 1-2 aoe abilities, and roughly 1 oh !@#$ survival button, will probably be extremely common. At the very least, at the beginning of inferno. Perhaps when quite a bit of the gear has been obtained, more offensive focused builds will be there. But i promise you that will be how it will be for a bit. Specially with '' pull enemies closer '' for AoE or AoE taunts, or AoE stuns, and a constant cleave 80% speed reduction debuff to keep everyone there. Pick your poison but in inferno thats going to happen. It really isnt the pure damage the mobs do that you need to worry about, its going to be their '' unique '' abilities that prevent you from kiting. Then the massive damage that your going to take. Again not that it isnt possible, extremely skilled players might just make it. But it will be almost required if you dont want to die over 1,000 times and spend a few hours praying you find the next waypoint. But for some, thats the diablo way anyways :) ( not me though, ill be having another barb in the group tanking with a healer at my side as we carefully make our way through inferno to conquer )
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]