Diablo® III

Diablo 3 and surround sound audio option?

84 Night Elf Hunter
Dear Blizz,

The beta only seems to offer stereophonic sound at the moment. Are you guys planning on rolling D3 out with discrete surround sound? If so, what can we expect? Will it be a 5.1 Dolby Digital mix, or something better, like lossless 5.1 or 7.1 pulse code modulation?

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the quality of the sound, its terrific. However, I am an audio junkie, and am hoping to be fully enveloped by the creepy sounds in the dungeons. Thanks for the vine Blizz. Out.
Edited by Calaridd on 2/2/2012 8:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
George Lucas makes me hot
Reply Quote
I was really looking forward to surround sound creepiness and zombies/skeletons coming at my character from all sides, and being able to hear them from all sides as well. I hope that this gets included for the final release as I was rather disappointed with it NOT being already a part of the beta.
Reply Quote
View profile
The beta only seems to offer stereophonic sound at the moment. Are you guys planning on rolling D3 out with discrete surround sound? If so, what can we expect? Will it be a 5.1 Dolby Digital mix, or something better, like lossless 5.1 or 7.1 pulse code modulation?

I actually asked this question directly to Bashiok at one point in time. He got back to me with a message from the audio engineering team:

“The cinematics will all be in 5.1 Dolby Digital and all the game play uses real time 3D sound positioning from the game engine.”

There's a preferences file for Diablo 3 that has a default value of. "2" you can also change it to "3" and I found the 3D sound was much more noticeable that way. I'm guessing it'll probably be implemented in the menus sometime before release. Anyway, it's currently implemented it's just not really noticeable. I had to go right upto my rear speakers to hear the sound out of it when i was on the default "2"
Reply Quote
84 Night Elf Hunter
What is "real time 3D" sound? Is it discrete surround sound, or is it a matrix surround sound (i.e. stereophonic signal that has been manipulated to sound like discrete surround, but not as good)?
I guess it boils down to this, will sources that come from behind my hero on the screen come from my rear channel speakers? Will sources coming from in front of me come front speakers?

EDIT: did some research. I'm fairly certain 3D sound is a matrix surround, not a true discrete surround. What does that mean? It means that the game is not capable of precisely placing in-game sound information to the appropriate speaker in a 5.1 setup. In other words...if a skeleton shoots an arrow toward you from behind, your rear speakers won't replicate the sound independent of the front speakers.
Edited by Calaridd on 2/3/2012 2:29 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]