Diablo® III

Do you feel the Monk is mobile enough?

Going from Leap Attack on a Barbarian and Vault on a Demon Hunter for out of combat movement...playing a Monk feels slow by comparison.

I'm just curious if it's just me. Do you feel the Monk is mobile enough?
Reply Quote
I'll admit I was looking for something along these lines as well. You can shift click and use Dashing Strike, but it doesn't go very far, maybe if the range on that were increased by about double.
Reply Quote
Dashing strike will teleport you the entire length of the screen IF you use it while a mob is targeted. Without a target you only go a short distance. Monks are incredibly mobile.
Reply Quote
Yes. You have a passive that increases movement 100% of the time by 10%. That plus dashing.
Edited by D3BETA on 2/3/2012 10:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Monks are mobile in Beta and we don't have access to Tempest Rush yet, which can be runed for movement speed.

I suspect that skill will be the GTFO move of choice for the Monk.
Reply Quote
Hell FoT has a runestone that can teleport you, plus Speed increase Passives. Monk has a bunch of mobility, and aside from that they have more defense then a Rhino...

You can ping pong a room better then a DH can, though Volt is pretty sick specially with the passive. you can go through mobs with DS.

I think its just you, We may be the only class that doesnt have an "Ranged ability" but we sure can close the gap and hold our ground and KickASS. Not to mention we have a lot of CC/Snaring.

Reply Quote

02/03/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Noah
Dashing strike will teleport you the entire length of the screen IF you use it while a mob is targeted. Without a target you only go a short distance. Monks are incredibly mobile.

i gotta say man, after playing beta monks are not as mobile as i thought them to be and also dashing strike not as effective as it looks.. first off, if you are not targeting a mob, dashing strike does not go far, and tested next to a person running, the delay of the dashing strike is the exact same as if you just ran. you gain no ground.
also even using it to teleport around killing mobs, it seems to get hung up on everything. the corner of a wall you thought you were clear off, a pillar. seems like even debris from dead mobs.. it just seems like every time i use dashing strike i never reach my target, i get hung up and teleport an inch from where i was standing. i was for sure this was going to be the backbone of my build but now im not sure ill use it.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I've removed it from my intended builds as well, it's awful as is. Another factor is even when it does work you have no clue where your gonna end up in relation to the mob, beside, in front of, behind, on. The skill is just too unpredictable.

That said the monk rocks and I'll be playing one, even without the skill.
Reply Quote
yep you are right i did not say that in my previous post but thats also another problem w the skill. i click on a mob to dash to it and lets say all goes well, nothing interupts the pathing of it. sometimes i go infront of it(good) , behind it(thats fine) sometimes completely out range to land any type of attack on it and have to run over to it(very bad and seems to be often). and that missing it like that is not due to missing the mob when clicking the skill. if you dont hit a mob we all know you dont dash far. so the skill obviously worked, its just where it lands you seems to be buggy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Going from Leap Attack on a Barbarian and Vault on a Demon Hunter for out of combat movement...playing a Monk feels slow by comparison.

I'm just curious if it's just me. Do you feel the Monk is mobile enough?

Umm... the monk looks insanely mobile. He may get hung up on things, from what some of you guys say, but is that a bug or working as intended? If it's a bug, then it'll get fixed. If it's working as intended it'll just be a case of learning what you can dash around and what you can't. It's called being good at the game and knowing how your character works, right?

That being said, several monk spirit generators have runed versions that include a free dash with the 1st strike. Seven Sided Strike has a rune that teleports you to your target THEN activates. We haven't really talked about Tempest Rush at all. Overall, we have only seen a tiny portion of the monks mobility, whereas we've seen most of the barbs and DH's already.
Reply Quote
Dashing Strike almost allows me to be in two places at once on the battlefield from my own experiences and I fully intend to include it in most of my monk builds. As far a pure movement skill of getting from point A to point B, yes it lacking and from the looks of it most classes will be able to zip through town and cleared areas much faster then monks will, but since that’s non-combat related I’m not terribly concerned with it.

That being said, I too have encountered Dashing Strike acting very inconsistently at times. Some times I can dash clear across the screen through fences, tombstones and destructible barricades while other times I get caught on a single fence post or chair. It also doesn’t handle changes in elevation well, like trying to dash down stairs. Vault seems to suffer from this elevation issue as well so I wonder if that’s intentional coding or an issue with how the engine handles movement on inclines a la Blink.
Reply Quote
dashing strike does get hung up a lot on little bits of enviornment, but imo if they would just make it so when you dash to a enemy, you land on them it would be a 100% improvement and make it worth having on my hotbar.. most mobs start walking towards you when you appear on screen so if you dash to them and they are walking, you end up way behind them out of reach to deal dmg.. they really need to make it so you land on target no matter what imo. its not like it deals devistating dmg, atleast let us hit our mark.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]