Diablo® III

How I and GameSpy feel about D3.

This is a great article it's basically how I feel about the development so far. What do you guys think?

Link: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/diablo-iii/1217808p1.html
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
Seen plenty of the same posts on the forums, use the search button to avoid making duplicate posts. All of these have been addressed over hundreds of times.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
All of those are common concerns, yes. I largely agree with the author. (For reference, the points are 1.Release delays, 2.RMAH, 3.Online-only, 4.Not Blizzard North)

I'm resigned to the RMAH (I suspect this feature's getting a lot less grumbling than it should because so many hardcore D3 players expect to be sellers, not buyers, and the idea of making some money on the side while gaming is super-tempting... but it probably won't pan out that way), don't really care about delays or the game not being made like the previous Diablo games (at worst, it'll be a very well-made diablo clone).

The offline-only requirement hurts for me, though, because it means D3 can never have mods. Mods kept me playing D2 for years after the magic went away and they're keeping me playing other games in the genre after I got bored with them as well.
Reply Quote
No MedianXL for D3. Blashphemy!
Reply Quote
I know they have been talked about i just thought the article was well written vs the screaming QQ people on this form. I thought it was also nice to have a game generalist bring up these issues because D3 doesn't get much play on gaming websites in general. For example it got most anticipated game yet no one from gametrailers even mentioned it in their top 10.
Reply Quote
02/03/2012 11:27 AMPosted by DirtSpider
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/diablo-iii/1217808p1.html

Brilliant article. The first part was like it was picked from my mind. EXACTLY the same thoughts I had and posted here.

Man cannot create perfect and never will. Diablo 3 is NEVER going to be perfect, no matter what design, there is no such thing as a perfect game, period. Re-inventing the wheel during Q1 release stage, is naive at best, ruinous at worst. New features will introduce new bugs and highlight flaws of the new system. So you end up in an infinite loop of rethinking/redesigning/retesting/reimagining, and usually points to a lack of clear vision on the designer's side. It's like this in any such discipline.always like this in any software development project (programming is my DJ)

If Microsoft, or Linus Torvalds still haven't created the "perfect" OS after ALL the decades have come and passed (and hundreds of millions of dollars and man hours spent on development), does Jay Wilson think he'll be some sort of a software development trend breaker?

Hard to fathom.

The auction system, also, I must agree, seems prone to be horribly abused by gold farmers and even local hackers.
Edited by HorusWRabbit on 2/3/2012 2:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
The article is just another complaining thread retreading stuff we've heard many times before. It's not even accurate. Diablo 3 was not "expected to be released" in 2011. Blizzard said it was a possibility, but don't count on it. Anyone who reads that as "expected to be released" is just wishful thinking and doesn't know Blizzard's history of delays.

The online only complain isn't much better. He admits Blizzard is making it online only to fight hackers and cheaters, but he doesn't care. He wants to be able to play on a plane or a hang glider, even if it would make hacks easier and make the game worse for millions of people online. Is an offline mode worth it if it means more hacks and bots online? Should Blizzard cater to the minority at the expense of the majority?
Reply Quote
Brilliant article. The first part was like it was picked from my mind. EXACTLY the same thoughts I had and posted here.

Man cannot create perfect and never will. Diablo 3 is NEVER going to be perfect, no matter what design, there is no such thing as a perfect game, period. Re-inventing the wheel during Q1 release stage, is naive at best, ruinous at worst. New features will introduce new bugs and highlight flaws of the new system. So you end up in an infinite loop of rethinking/redesigning/retesting/reimagining, and usually points to a lack of clear vision on the designer's side. It's like this in any such discipline.always like this in any software development project (programming is my DJ)

If Microsoft, or Linus Torvalds still haven't created the "perfect" OS after ALL the decades have come and passed (and hundreds of millions of dollars and man hours spent on development), does Jay Wilson think he'll be some sort of a software development trend breaker?

Hard to fathom.

The auction system, also, I must agree, seems prone to be horribly abused by gold farmers and even local hackers.

Blizzard has high standards, and I feel like they took it to the extreme in the sense that they are trying to make Diablo 3 their most polished release title to date.

Is it annoying because I know I could be playing D3 right now? Yes.
When the game is released and I'm playing it will it even matter that it was delayed? No

And I have to say, after playing the hot garbage that is SWTOR, it makes me at least appreciate a bit more that Blizzard is trying to get things right instead of releasing crap and expecting people to pay them until they fix it.
Reply Quote
RMAH = Pay-To-Win ????

hmm......

I haven’t thought about it like that before but after reading that article makes one think.
Reply Quote
What bothers me is that after all this time I got to play the beta, and quite frankly I'm not impressed. In some aspects I think they would be wise to go back to the Diablo 1 and 2 formulas.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]